Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2006 Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
2006 Honda Civic

Are any of you getting tempted into going ahead and buying a new Civic? The new Civic seems to be a much higher end car than in the past, and the price definately did not increase much.

I know it will be hard in the spring to choose from the Fit and Civic. I might front the extra cash for a Civic.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:02 PM
I keep reading reviews from other countries (UK, Aussies etc) and they all seem to conclude that the Fit / Jazz is more akin to the smaller Civics of old while the new Civic is starting to move closer to where Accord's started out at.
I had an old CVCC Civic back in the day and sure miss it's simpler design and efficient driving style - hope the US fit debut rekindles the original civic.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Well i have to admit the new civic is awsome when we get them in at my dealership you have to go through a waiting list to get one. In fact most of them are sold prior to getting the shipping plastic off of them. I have a waiting list of just my clients 32 people long to get the new Si in december and with the current annual production numbers alone I might have to turn a few of my Si customers over to other dealers. The two teir instrument panel is actually a welcomed change to most and the shift light on the Si model is not an economical light like other cars it is actually functional and only blinks when you are a couple hundred RPMs from redline. The interior is very roomy with all of the seating well bolstered and not flat feeling. And the 1.8L models drive like a 2.0 yet have fuel economy like a 1.5 or 1.6. It is also nice having a compact with satelite linked Navigation system and XM radio options as well. In fact there isn't much I don't like about the new civic I feel like Honda actually got something right you don't pay much but you get a lot for your money. On the downside is that it is getting up there with Accords there arent many things on the 06 Accords short of the V6 that you cannot get on the Civic. Horsepower on the 4 cyl Accord is 166 and and 140 on the Civic power to weight wise the Civic pretty much takes the air out of the Accords sails. If you ask me the Civic as a whole definitely got more roomy and luxurious but it also changed the way the mass majority looked at a compact car. Honda did a great job of bringing back the core consumers of the Civic especially after the previous generation model which was frankly by no means and evolutionary leap in technology more of a model that allowed others to step up and have a go at building a better car. Honda listened to what people wanted out of a compact car and I feel they stepped up and delivered on all accounts.

My reason for wanting a fit is budget I could throw down money on a Civic and be happy but I'm one of those people who have to perpetually customize something to my liking. I can budget for upgrades better with the Fit and instead of having a nice stock Civic opt to have an insanely customized Fit.

Old 11-15-2005, 05:13 AM
A bunch of new small cars are just around.
Fit, Yaris, Sentra, Verso, Corolla and the Civic which I really like. I'm holding out untill I can see all of these in the metal.

Old 11-30-2005, 04:08 AM
I had an Accord and have a Civic now. But I still like Fit/Jazz the most.

In my opinion, Fit is more than just a small car. It represents a live style. You will probably see Fit drivers club, but not Civic drivers club.

And its seats score the most points for me.

Old 12-03-2005, 05:38 PM
The new Civic is a fine car, but a bit impractical for me. I need a hatchback because I use a car for more than just going to work and back. The Civic hybrid frustrates me even more because the rear seats can't be folded down. So now I'm waiting to see the new Fit and will be weighing it probably against the Toyota Prius.

Old 12-04-2005, 11:11 PM
In France, Honda sells a 5-door Civic, much like the Toyota Matrix. I would be very interested in buying one of these if any of our dealers can work something out (I live in the US)...Otherwise, I'll wait for the Fit, if my old Accord will agree to wait that long.

Old 12-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by birdsky
In my opinion, Fit is more than just a small car. It represents a live style. You will probably see Fit drivers club, but not Civic drivers club.

I own a Civic, and there are TONS of Civic drivers clubs where I am at. In fact, I'm in one.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:16 AM
5 Year Member
Jazz/Fit has "personality"!

Old 01-07-2006, 06:20 PM
I really like the new civic, but I want a hatchback, so no civic for me. Also, the other down note for the civic is the insurance rates... if they're anything like the 2005 civics that the insurance will be too high. I was looking into a basic 4 door civic (value edition as I recall) and I was quoted $1,200/yr. By comparison my element was a better deal at $688/yr...

Old 01-07-2006, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by InSaNeBoY
I really like the new civic, but I want a hatchback, so no civic for me. Also, the other down note for the civic is the insurance rates... if they're anything like the 2005 civics that the insurance will be too high. I was looking into a basic 4 door civic (value edition as I recall) and I was quoted $1,200/yr. By comparison my element was a better deal at $688/yr...
You need to do two things to cut that insurance rate:

1. Bump up the deductible to US$500.

2. Shop for the best rate by going to an insurance broker. Brokers can search through many companies and compare to get the best rate.

3. Make sure you're not buying any of the two-door Coupé models.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by MtViewGuy188
You need to do two things to cut that insurance rate:

1. Bump up the deductible to US$500.

2. Shop for the best rate by going to an insurance broker. Brokers can search through many companies and compare to get the best rate.

3. Make sure you're not buying any of the two-door Coupé models.
1) I bumped my deductable to $1,000 from $250 (after I had gotten those quotes tho)

2) I use an insurance agent already, I could not see dealing with insurance with out one, they make life eazy.

3) as I said, I was quoted a price on a 4 door. next week I can look up the old e-mail (it's on my work email) but basically the civic was the highest by a large amount as compared to 05 Honda element, 05 Toyota matrix, 05 Mazda3 23sp, 05 Scion xB and 04 VW Golf TDi. The Mazda3 was the lowest.

Old 01-07-2006, 10:10 PM
I believe that the insurance rates for Civic's are high because of the high theft rate. 5.3 cars per 1000.

Old 01-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Insurance is crazy for my '92 Accord because of the chop-shop factor. I will shop around for better insurance when it's time to put her out to pasture this spring.

Old 01-08-2006, 08:09 PM
The Civic is a FANTASTIC car. Like all of you fine people have been saying, though, insurance, price, and weight are all factors going against it between it and the Fit. The Civic isn't a pig weight wise, but its not the light little civic it used to be. It ain't a hatch, either. It's not cheap, either. The Fit is where it's at as far as I'm concerned.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:56 PM
The new Civic SI would be an ideal car for me if they brought the hatch over. All the cars I have bought for myself have been hatches: '00 VW Golf, '02 Civic SI, '06 Suzuki Reno. With one 50 lb. dog that is claustrophobic (read must use a big crate), snowboarding in the winter and cycling races in the summer, I need the utility. However, the '06 SI with the revised K20 engine and the limited slip diff, I am seriously considering making more than few compromises.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by Jonniedee
I keep reading reviews from other countries (UK, Aussies etc) and they all seem to conclude that the Fit / Jazz is more akin to the smaller Civics of old while the new Civic is starting to move closer to where Accord's started out at.
I had an old CVCC Civic back in the day and sure miss it's simpler design and efficient driving style - hope the US fit debut rekindles the original civic.
Consumer reports (the non-profit product rating company) has also noticed a trend saying, "newer versions tend to get larger." in one of their articles

Old 02-08-2006, 02:04 AM
I had a deposit down on the 06 civic si, but after seeing / researching the fit I changed my mind :D In SD, the cheapest I found the Si was $22,500. What the fit is estimated to sell at in the states= 13-14k. I'll sacrifice power and performance for great gas mileage, 4 doors, 6 air bags, tons of cool aftermarket parts, a much reduced monthly payment and for the fact that the fits unique.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks Dversity - I keep seeing others griping about what you can or can't get with the standard vs. sport - BUT I believe it is what you WILL get that will make either model a very special and unique car!

Old 02-09-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by diversity2
I had a deposit down on the 06 civic si, but after seeing / researching the fit I changed my mind :D In SD, the cheapest I found the Si was $22,500. What the fit is estimated to sell at in the states= 13-14k. I'll sacrifice power and performance for great gas mileage, 4 doors, 6 air bags, tons of cool aftermarket parts, a much reduced monthly payment and for the fact that the fits unique.
not to mention kik arse rear folding seats, and have you seen the engine, its adorable

Quick Reply: 2006 Honda Civic