Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

'07 Civic Si for $5,000!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
'07 Civic Si for $5,000!?!?!

At lunch I usually browse the local craigslist looking for nice used EK's, and also browse for any funky Honda postings and send appropriate comments (like a dealer selling an "Si" when it was clearly an LX. So this one post caught my eye, a guy selling an '07 Si sedan for $5,000. I immediately emailed him. Turns out he was "in the military and his platoon was returning to Iraq" and he needed to sell it fast, he is the original owner, no abnormalities whatsoever, yadda, yadda. I say I'm interesed, he then sends me a secure, insured authorized ebay transaction!
So, what's up with this guy? Is he the typical home from service guy who goes out and buys a car and seriously needs to ditch it on a return tour. I checked the local bases and that's all true, the only thing I don't have is the carfax ability to check the VIN, I don't really want to spend $30 if I don't need to.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:46 PM
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers
i say jump on it ... u have a k20 laying in the long run and even if u turn it into the dealer you gonna get at least 16k for a 5k investment.. i would if i had 5k laying around..

Old 11-12-2008, 06:01 PM
Fa1
If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:06 PM
Take Two of Me & Don't Call in the Morning
5 Year Member
I say spend the $30 on a carfax report...check it out in person...

If it really is for real then...go for it.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:09 PM
There is no way in god's green earth that anyone would sell a 07 Si for that cheap unless it was wrecked bad. You could drive the car to CARMAX and get a check for 16k easy so why would he sell it for 5k, unless he hates money. Use your head, sounds like a scam.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:29 PM
5 Year Member
seriously is a scam up the butt. I've seen this happen way too many times before by my friends. One of my good friends (totally ignorant i may add even AFTER i warned him) had the same thing happen 2 him. He checked craigslist and found a 99 ek NICELY modded with k20 swap, clean title, type-r conversion in and out, selling for $4500. The guy said he "needed money cuz he is going to Iraq and wants to give some money to his mom by sellling his car." Well, my friend emailed him, the guy said yeah i have it and showed him some pictures. Sure enough, it was just as it was written......but..... the guy said that someone was gonna come pickup the money and give him the car keyes to go get it. So he did, some white guy came to my friends house, he gave him the money and a "pink slip" and some honda keyes. He said "go to this address and pick it up. it's in the driveway." Well... the address that the guy gave him was to some vacant lot next to a mexican restaurant. My friend couldn't do anything, no names, no contact info, nothing but an email that nobody responds to. A week later, he gets a letter (unmarked) that read on the inside "Hope you are enjoying your SI and thnx for the free money B***H!!" "Si" also means "yes" in spanish so maybe that was a joke? who knows.

Do NOT do any deals until u meet the person FACE TO FACE or at a location. If he's overseas, he MUST have some immediate family to sell the car for him... read that again... IMMEDIATE FAMILY. that means brother, sister, mother, father, wife, grandparents, etccc. Even then, be skeptical.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:40 PM
5 Year Member
Its a scam.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:20 PM
I agree that it is likely a scam. Be very cautious.

Originally Posted by koolkevin1107
...If he's overseas, he MUST have some immediate family to sell the car for him... read that again... IMMEDIATE FAMILY. that means brother, sister, mother, father, wife, grandparents, etccc. Even then, be skeptical.
In some states a wife can sign for him, but other immediate family cannot sign for him without a legally notarized "Power of Attorney".

Bottom line, I would be very, very skeptical about this deal. Fa1 is spot on - "If it's too good to be true, it usually is."

JMO.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 PM
I want a Civic "No"...
haha ok bad joke..
ok im leaving now....

Old 11-12-2008, 07:29 PM
5 Year Member
It's ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY a SCAM!

I see it all the time here. And eBay released a press release (I don't have a link to it but if you google it you're bound to come up with something) about this. They do not have any sort of buyer protection program or anything like that. Unless you are on eBay.com shopping for the car, it's not legit WHATSOEVER. I've seen people burned by scams like this in the past (my dad is VP for a local credit union) As soon as they get you to wire the money or drop off a check, you're S.O.L. And you'd think who'd be stupid enough to send money or wire it electronically or give their credit card info before even getting the car... But there are far too many folks out there that see "a good deal" and don't see the harm in it.
Save your 5K for something you can touch and feel before you buy it.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member
scam but I'd still check it out :)

Old 11-12-2008, 08:37 PM
Retired Moderator
No doubt in my mind its a scam. Sounds tempting though haha.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fa1
If it's too good to be true, it usually is.
exactly what my pops said!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:10 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I know it's a scam, but I figured since the dude was so close, I'd go see it. So I told him I took the day off to drive up, and if he could give me a phone number....no reply. And he said earlier that he was "on base and only had access to email" hahaha! I guess I didn't expect him to actually send an ebay confirmation!

-1 for even following up on this.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:28 AM
5 Year Member
yeah for that price something def up

Old 11-15-2008, 01:57 PM
5000+ take over payments

Old 11-16-2008, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Man it sounds like a scam call the base and give his name see if u can't find him. But hey every time i went to iraq i cam back with a new car. That is how i was 21 having a cobra and a EVO at the same time. So this might be true. He could just be geting rid of it and geting some thing else when he gets back. I know i hate paying on some thing when i am in iraq for 7 months and i can't even use it. But GL with it man

Old 11-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Car scam

Its BS I went through the same thing....same story.He will send you a SAFE link to pay for it but you will get ripped.The way I beat it was I had a buddy in the military stationed in the same place and he checked it out and found it was a scam
Originally Posted by honda2112
At lunch I usually browse the local craigslist looking for nice used EK's, and also browse for any funky Honda postings and send appropriate comments (like a dealer selling an "Si" when it was clearly an LX. So this one post caught my eye, a guy selling an '07 Si sedan for $5,000. I immediately emailed him. Turns out he was "in the military and his platoon was returning to Iraq" and he needed to sell it fast, he is the original owner, no abnormalities whatsoever, yadda, yadda. I say I'm interesed, he then sends me a secure, insured authorized ebay transaction!
So, what's up with this guy? Is he the typical home from service guy who goes out and buys a car and seriously needs to ditch it on a return tour. I checked the local bases and that's all true, the only thing I don't have is the carfax ability to check the VIN, I don't really want to spend $30 if I don't need to.