Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

New Honda Insight trashed -review

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nevada72
I have a BMW R1200GS. Nice bike for touring, but I love riding my smaller bikes in the city. I think the one that is most fun is a vintage Honda CB160. Not fast, but lots of fun.
In 1965 a CB160 was considered a midsize bike. I lusted after a CB160 in my teens, but got a 125cc CB92 instead. My fun bike these days is a 1988 Honda HawkGT, a "small" bike at 647 cc (about 50 cc larger than the engine on my first Honda car). The Hawk is only a little bit heavier than the VTR, so it has a much better power to weight ratio, and truly wonderful handling. For trips, I have a 1999 R1100RT, which feels like an SUV in the city, and is not helped by the agricultural transmission of boxers of that era. But, when the temperature drops below 50, I want the RT. Heated handgrips are nice! Why don't cars have heated steering wheels (perhaps some do, and I'm just unaware)?

Old 08-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Selden
Why don't cars have heated steering wheels (perhaps some do, and I'm just unaware)?
A friend had a 99 BMW 540i with heated steering wheel. When he told me it was so equipped, I though how frivolous. Then, he let me drive it on a cold Wisconsin night. Soooooo nice. Worth every dime - however many that was. I've been wishing for one on my cars ever since.

Love the heated grips on the GS, but my Gerbings heated gloves are really where it's at below 50 degrees.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nevada72
The Fit is more fun to drive imo also. Once you keep the revs up it moves along alright. I considered trying mine at auto-X just for fun (never did it). I wouldn't even consider the Insight for that. Fact is they are probably comparable in speed and handling, but as stated, it's just not that much fun in the Insight. Bet it would be even less fun in a Prius.....or a school bus....or a dump truck.

I have a BMW R1200GS. Nice bike for touring, but I love riding my smaller bikes in the city. I think the one that is most fun is a vintage Honda CB160. Not fast, but lots of fun.

nevada, great review.

i thought the new fit was a better highway car than the gd3 that i have, and the insight seems to be better still, and have more stability.

i'm in love with the stability that my old rabbit offered (07) hence why i'm leaning towards a GTI/audi a3 as my next future purchase, but with either those cars you sacrifice reliability (only when comparing to a honda) and mileage.

i guess i could always get an insight and buy an old ek hatch and soup her up. ;)

Old 08-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by eldaino
nevada, great review.

i thought the new fit was a better highway car than the gd3 that i have, and the insight seems to be better still, and have more stability.

i'm in love with the stability that my old rabbit offered (07) hence why i'm leaning towards a GTI/audi a3 as my next future purchase, but with either those cars you sacrifice reliability (only when comparing to a honda) and mileage.

i guess i could always get an insight and buy an old ek hatch and soup her up. ;)
Thanks!

I'll bet the Insight and new Fit are very similar in comfort and handling. Maybe the new Fit is the best of both worlds? Perhaps I should have tried one. Regardless, I'm enjoying (in a boring way :) ) the Insight.

I've had a bunch of VWs. Loved them all until my wife's 2001 Beetle. WORST CAR EVER! We were so dissapointed. It was in the shop constantly, not the least of which was a bad motor at 8k miles. Never again. At least until they make them in the US or Germany again (otherwise known as never). I've heard the Audis aren't any better, but can't speak from experience. However, I still miss my 83 GTi. What a car!

Old 08-22-2009, 12:36 AM
i drove the insight when i was looking at vehicles, ended up with a fit. i couldnt stand the delay at throttle tip in. Hit the gas, wait, then wait for the engine to spool up....

Plus, yeah, its a Honda, but when it breaks out of warranty....who's gonna touch it besides a dealer? I like to do most of my own work. Wouldnt even want to begin on something like that.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smaglik
i drove the insight when i was looking at vehicles, ended up with a fit. i couldnt stand the delay at throttle tip in. Hit the gas, wait, then wait for the engine to spool up....

Plus, yeah, its a Honda, but when it breaks out of warranty....who's gonna touch it besides a dealer? I like to do most of my own work. Wouldnt even want to begin on something like that.
welll you have an older m3, certainly parts wont be that bad to someone who is used to expensive maintenance. ;)

nevada:

my wife has an 08 beetle, and with 19k on the clock, there has been no issues with it. granted they have had plenty of time to work the kinks out!

our rabbit was expensive to maintain, but it was reliable. no issues at all. just wanted a bit better mpg and service costs, hence why we traded it.

all gti's/rabbits are now built in germany btw.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by eldaino
welll you have an older m3, certainly parts wont be that bad to someone who is used to expensive maintenance. ;)

very true. However, I don't buy a Honda because its expensive to maintain...

Old 08-24-2009, 08:23 PM
5 Year Member
Guys, it's JEREMY CLARKSON.

If you've seen Top Gear or read any of his columns for a long time you know he's just like that - highly opinionated and rude. He predated Simon Cowell's "Mr. Nasty" reputation a whole eight years - I first watched "Top Gear" on BBC way back in 1993 and he was there.

If I were you I wouldn't take offense and just shrug it off. Clarkson simply has a radically different taste in cars (and a radically sarcastic and rude mouth for letting the world know about it) and arguing with him just isn't going to get you anywhere. Basically he's what you call an insult comic.