Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Getting Rid of my Fit and getting an Si

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:27 AM
Getting Rid of my Fit and getting an Si

I'm been contemplating an engine swap for awhile, but after doing some research on the Acura CSX, Mugen RR, and Honda Civic Type-R I think it's safe to say the weight difference compared to the Fit just isn't enough for me to justify the swap.

I loved my Fit, but I have enough complaints about the features (not including ones that could be considered convenience) that I decided to trade.

I'm getting a 2010 Civic Si Sedan in Rallye Red and picking it up monday.

I put a lot of miles on my fit, probably 1/4 of it's better running life, so I don't really regret the decision.

Someday I might pick up a used one as an extra car, but for now I think i'll be happier with the Si.

It was a hard decision against an RSX type-S or a TSX as well. I came to the agreement with my girlfriend that 4 doors is more practical for us.

I almost bought a used Si coupe but her unhappiness convinced me to stop as i coudl tell she didn't like it, it was silver and she thinks it's not an exciting enough color for me, and the coupe although looking sporty, just wasn't comfortable in her opinion.

I as well felt more comfortable in the sedan, so I went with new again.

I'll post pics if anyone wants to see once I pick up the car.

Anyone else make this kind of decision after owning a fit? switching to a very different car?

Old 01-31-2010, 03:17 AM
5 Year Member
how much money are you losing?

i honestly would get a subaru wrx hatch if i were to switch cars now. i love those cars.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member
Wuss!!! Since when does the GF tell you which car to buy? Grow some and trade the GF.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:27 AM
It's a great decision on your part, i think.

you're right, a straight k20 in a fit wouldn't be worth all the labor and money because of the weight of the fit. if anything, the k24 would be the one to use.
But it's pricey swap. so why spend all that money if they already make it ready out of the box at the dealership in a 4 door? (although, i probably would do the swap instead, lol, but i'm not practical.)

The Si is an amazing car. romp on it to go, cruise and still get decent mpg around town. not to mention, 4 door si's look great with a nice drop and some wheels. the only flaw is that i HATE...seriously HATE the new wheels the '10 si's come with.

I ended up with an 07 FG2 when i just couldn't afford the fit's when they were first released with the dealer mark-ups. after a year and a half, i traded it in. the coupe wasn't anywhere near practical. If there were no such thing as a fit and i had to do it all over again, the FA5 Si would be my choice.

But i love my fit. 10,000+ miles in 3 months and i'm not letting go anytime soon.

Last edited by 90 DGRZ; 01-31-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:32 AM
Retired Moderator
Nice man i have always loved Si sedans. Enjoy.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:06 PM
I have been contemplating the si, but theres so many here in miami and not that many 09-10 fits. But great decision and enjoy.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:01 PM
do what you gotta do bro

Old 01-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Fitcious
how much money are you losing?

i honestly would get a subaru wrx hatch if i were to switch cars now. i love those cars.

Nothing, I drove the hell out of my Fit, and someone did a hit and run on my car in january and the back bumper is completely cracked down to the lower lip and since I'm friendly with my salesmen it's not affecting my trade in price since he is in good with the used car appraiser.

I got my fit in 08 and it already has close to 50K miles... so i basically drove it for 4 years.

My lifestyle changed since I got my Fit anyway. I worked as a service tech for an automation company and drove all over the region with a hatch full of tools and supplies.

I don't do that anymore, and I'm more into the features of the si now.
I like the VSA and LSD on the Civic si, it's the best FWD setup you could have without going completely to AWD.

I also like the telescoping wheel, something which bother the hell out of me in my Fit.

The engine, obviously is twice as power in hp, and although it's got average torque, the car still can pull hard. it's not a dog by any means.

I do a lot of highway driving, if i can get 29 on the highway in an si and only 35 in my fit...then the mileage loss is nothing to cry about. plus the si is a 6 speed, which i've wanted for awhile after driving the fit on the highway all the time.

since the si only has a 13 gallon tank, and premium is $0.20 more, the most i pay on a fill up is $2.60 more...boo hoo lol.

after driving the fit for 2 years, i really think it should be a variation of the civic engine.
a 1.8 SOHC 4 cylinder is what they should have done. it would optimize the power to pull the car and have it get good gas mileage. honestly, the mileage on the civic window stickers is the fit mileage. on a car weighing 450 lbs more. DUMB

other things? my 08 is not i-Vtec, is not ULEV, i'll trade my 08 LEV for an 10 LEV which double the power lol.

plenty of cosmetic and interior convenience upgrades. the steering wheel controls are a must for me, as i always have music on, and the ipod integration will be nice.

Also, the insurance on the subaru would make me never want to drive one. It'd be awesome, but I don't want to be paying more because time has proved it's an abused, stolen, and totaled car. not like other cars aren't treated the same, but I'm not interested in paying more to drive a car for no good reason.

the girlfriend comment as well, i'm glad she threw a fit no pun intended, i didn't like the coupe as much, and silver is far from my first choice. great price or not, i should have known better than to consider a car i knew i didn't really want.
because she's totally for the civic si sedan in red. which is my first choice, second being blue.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
I went into the dealership back in October with the intention of buying an Si Coupe, but ended up with a Fit Sport MT. Driving the Fit made the Civic feel boring. I've never regretted it once.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
So ur gf did not want u to get a used one why??? Seems to me like she runs the show in the house JK. Why not just get a used SI and keep the fit. Inless u cant afford that. But i feel u the SI seems that it would be more fun than the Fit. But if i was u i would have just kept saving for a year and bought something nicer. Say subie or evo if u needed 4 doors. But each to there own

Old 01-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Congrats! Must have pictures of the new ride when you get it!

Life is too short to keep buying the same car over and over again. I've done (so far) midsized sedan, compact coupe, compact sedan, open-top Jeep, ext-cab pickup, 4 door crossover, weirdo-SUV-toaster (Element), and now the Fit. I think that covers all the bases except a minivan, and my wife had one of those for a while, so I'm covered.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by 08fithappy
So ur gf did not want u to get a used one why??? Seems to me like she runs the show in the house JK. Why not just get a used SI and keep the fit. Inless u cant afford that. But i feel u the SI seems that it would be more fun than the Fit. But if i was u i would have just kept saving for a year and bought something nicer. Say subie or evo if u needed 4 doors. But each to there own

Meh, i love the impreza series and the evolution (mostly the mark VIII) but I wouldn't want to deal with all the bs of owning one. Those are the kind of cars I'd need to buy new because the likelihood of them being abused is very high. However, i don't like the new evos, and i don't want a subaru hatch.

I'm getting a pretty sweet deal on the Si, so I'm not worried at all about getting "screwed" or losing money. I'm not in negative equity on my fit, and i drove the heck out of it like i said.

I consider keeping the Fit and getting a used Si, but nearly all the used ones I've found aren't really what i want and i generally only consider them based on price. In retrospect I don't even know why i used up the salesman's time on the silver si coupe, i didn't want it at all. it was just a good deal on the car. I didn't have enough headroom and know in the long run i would have regretted it every time i saw another si i liked more.

The fit isn't going to disappear though. I'll probably just get a used one in the future when I want an extra car and it works with my situation. Not the end of the world saying goodbye to it, just moving on.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 AM
well, never finalized everything on the Si i was picking up tonight, and i'm getting a better deal somewhere else lol. looks like i'll be saving about $4,000 between the extra trade allowance and the ridiculous price these other guys are giving me.

i'll take it, i think it's funny that one honda dealership could undercut another so much.

i like these guys better. they know i don't want to pay if i don't have to

Old 02-02-2010, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member
Got any pics? I got my 09 fit 5 months ago. I decided to go with A/T mainly because 1) it was near impossible to find a m/t one and 2) I told myself i was done with the car modding disease and i would just drive to get where i need to be...and now after mod after mod after mod, I regret getting a A/T and want to trade in too, but I know i'd lose so much money...purchased the fit 5 months ago, it has 5800 miles on it. Not sure what I should do...I love the fit, but I regret buying an auto! ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 02-02-2010, 04:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CombatBaby
I'm getting a 2010 Civic Si Sedan...
*YAWN* Boring, boring, and did I mention sedans are BORING? Yes, even the CiViC Si is probably one of the most boring cars made. Then again, ALL sedans are boring. Get a sedan when you're going to retire. (Unless you want to mod sedans and act like you're a NASCAR driver or something!)

"Stop having a boring life, stop having a boring Honda!" :p

There's something charming and really unique about the Fit... even with it's perceived negative characteristics. But the CiViC, the Accord, etc.? You can't get much more boring than those Hondas... or any sedan for that matter.

Then again, I'm not the Honda-enthusiast most here seem to be. I like Hondas now for one reason... the Honda Fit! All things considered, the Fit is one of the most unique cars in it's price range and category made today. All other Hondas? Ehhh... whatever! *yawn* *snore*

Yet, you're the one who has to be happy with your purchase. Enjoy your "sedan!" I'm looking forward to my [unique] 2010 GE8 arriving. ;)

Old 02-02-2010, 10:51 AM
5 Year Member

...I want this "boring",400+hp with 8,300 redline, sedan. Oh I miss my old E36 M3's handling. At least the fit "fits" more stuff.

"CombatBaby" - The SI sedan was my second choice! The 6-speed tranny in that series of motors was one of best feeling.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 AM
I must be getting old. I want to get a TSX Wagon as my next car lol.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CombatBaby
well, never finalized everything on the Si i was picking up tonight, and i'm getting a better deal somewhere else lol. looks like i'll be saving about $4,000 between the extra trade allowance and the ridiculous price these other guys are giving me.

i'll take it, i think it's funny that one honda dealership could undercut another so much.

i like these guys better. they know i don't want to pay if i don't have to
that magnitude of variance on a like-for-like deal is impossible had you previously done your research. having the agreement in writing will help; otherwise it just sounds suspiciously like a tactic to lure you into the dealership.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:42 PM
swap

bought the fit cause i dident have funds for the s2k but my car will be paid off within the year so then i will go find a fresh s2k

Old 02-02-2010, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikejet
I must be getting old. I want to get a TSX Wagon as my next car lol.
LMAO. I am 67 and bought a Fit to play with.

Quick Reply: Getting Rid of my Fit and getting an Si