Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Tips to save gas

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:20 AM
Tips to save gas

Here are some tips to save gas.
-Drive somewhere around 50 kmph.
-Try to avoid traffic. Off the engine when you have to stay sometime in the traffic.
-Get rid of any unnecessary weight in your car
-Change your air filter
-Avoid excessive idling.

Old 05-10-2010, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
Leave the wife at home

Old 05-10-2010, 09:16 PM
5 Year Member
Ride a bicycle.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:25 PM
5 Year Member
Cut a hole in your floor and drive around Flintstones style!

Old 05-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Don't start your car

Old 05-11-2010, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Be easy on the throttle.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Easy acceleration, drive without brakes(only when legal), slow deceleration, use of cruise control, drive the speed limit. Don't Fart.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:08 AM
good thread, if we keep on topic...

Originally Posted by ashani
-Try to avoid traffic. Off the engine when you have to stay sometime in the traffic.
-Change your air filter
-Avoid excessive idling.
~I've heard some increase the tire pressure (at own risk) increases MPG.
~Also coasting to stop signs and redlights in neutral (w/ Manual trans). You can coast for A LOT longer then you would think if the terrain is flat.
~Also, don't ask me why, but if you are maintaining a certain speed, decrease pressure on the gas pedal. You will see the MPG gauge increase while still maintaining the same speed.
There are threads in cleanmpg.com and other places on the internet for driving to get the most out of you MPG. Just google "hypermiling" and you will find some helpful techniques and outrageous claims of MPG with ordinary cars.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Jumpin Jack Flash, it's a gas, gas gas...

Originally Posted by ashani
-Change your air filter
-Avoid excessive idling.

I can get onboard with adopting most of these techniques and approaches.

But outside of a fast food restaurant drive-thru, or similar situation I can't recommend turning off your engine. Hybrids shut off their ICE but they have electric motors and/or are designed for instantaneous start up or mobility if you need it.

Even in a traffic jam, or a stoplight you never know when you might need to move, and move quickly. It just seems too dangerous to be sitting with your engine off, IMO.

Obviously it will save gas, and I know those that employ this technique will defend it's useage but IMO risk vs. reward isn't worth it. If you must have your engine stopped when you are stopped, then buy a Prius.

I've read a few articles that suggest automakers are looking to morph technology together and build some ICE cars that borrow from Hybrid technology, including engine bypass or off technology, but the key would be they allow for instantaneous mobility and automatic shut off and reignition. Without that? In almost any situation, I don't like the idea of sitting "dead in the water". Even if we are only talking about seconds and the turn of the key to re-start...too often in an accident like situation you don't have those seconds available.

However, I concede that people are willing to employ various degrees of hypermiling techniques....but it just seems to me that The Honda Fit is an ICE vehicle, not a hybrid and turning off the engine to avoid idle waste, while potentially offering better gas mileage, is redefining the machine and not safe.

My only exceptions would be a Drive-Thru, where you are sitting for 3 or more minutes, or a absolutely totally halting traffic jam, where everybody is stopping and turning off their engines.