Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

1 year report: 2010 Honda Insight from a former Fit owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:28 PM
1 year report: 2010 Honda Insight from a former Fit owner

Hi folks! :)

It's been about 1 year since I traded in my last Fit for the Insight. I have been enjoying it and it has been every bit as reliable as my Fits were.

I also had an oil change last week and was shocked when the service tech asked my mileage: over 26k in 1 year!

Well, the primary reason I got the Insight was for the mileage, and after 1 year it has averaged right at 50 mpg including all driving -- even city, winter driving, a/c use, idling etc.

I have only done a few mods to dress it up, but I have the EX w/ NAVI so it pretty much has everything. Here's what I've added:
  • Honda window visors
  • Clazzio leather seat covers
  • Rear tonneau cover
  • Rear cargo organizer
  • Clearbra
  • Rear tailgate cargo protector
  • Metal screen behind the front grille (to protect condensor from rocks)

I use the a/c and cruise all the time and still get this kind of mileage. I don't do wild acceleration, but don't drive like a granny.

The car is fun at low speeds because of the torque from the electric motor. I can be the fastest car off the line from stoplights, but only up to ~30mph. It's funny to leave most of the other cars behind that have 2 - 3 times the horsepower and displacement!

The Insight has gotten a lot of hate on car forums and reviews because of it being a hybrid, Honda, or because other thought it copied the Prius. The Prius people were especially brutal and bragged about how much more advanced the '10 Prius was. Well, yes it has more tech (for much more $) but the fuel efficiency has not really been proven to be that much better.

Meanwhile, I thought it was funny that Toyota had all its problems to put the Prius owners back in their place.

I do miss my Fit sometimes. It was super fun to drive and had especially fun steering and ingenious interior room. To get into the Insight, you have to drop down into it just like you do in the current Civic. The lower position has some benefits though -- like lower wind noise and more stability in high crosswinds.

Just wanted to say "hi" to everyone here, and see what you're up to.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:14 AM
5 Year Member
Really?

I looked into the Insight, and it seemed to have really bad reviews. The cost was good and the mileage exceptional, but the reviews of handling and ambient issues turned me off. I am surprised that you didn't comment on these criticisms like, noisy road, noise engine/transmission, shaky on any driving surface, bad handling, and cheap quality.

Now, I have never even been in an Insight. This is the stuff I read before I went and bought a Fit, and they are the reasons I didn't look a second time at an Insight.

I'd like your comments on all the negative reviews of the Insight. Are any of them true?

Old 05-24-2010, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
I was looking at an insight as well. I have paid off my fit already, and the jump from 36mpg to 50ish is just to much to spend on a new car. With the rate i keep cars i would never get my moneys worth. Which is why i have decided the fit will be with me till death. Me or the car one of the two...

Old 05-24-2010, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mdbrich
I was looking at an insight as well. I have paid off my fit already, and the jump from 36mpg to 50ish is just to much to spend on a new car. With the rate i keep cars i would never get my moneys worth. Which is why i have decided the fit will be with me till death. Me or the car one of the two...
"Til Death".... My thoughts exactly. I thought I was the only one who thought this way.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm how is the space in the insight compared to the fit??