Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Rear-ender - insurance rate question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Rear-ender - insurance rate question

My 19-year-old had his first accident last night - he hit a Rav4 in the back. He was driving his 95 Camry, that has 120K on the odometer but has been dependable. Hood is crumpled, bumper took a hit, grill is gone, at least one headlight crushed. No one hurt, the airbags didn't go off. The other driver had a scratch on her bumper, no other visible damage. They didn't call the police.

So my dilemma is - do we report it to the insurance and take the hit on his premiums going up? Honestly, hubby wants to get an estimate before calling insurance, but if the other driver claims her damage is $2000, we can't afford to pay that AND fix or get another car for our son. We really can't afford any of it, but that's another subject. The car is valued at maximum $4000, and it needed motor mounts before the accident, otherwise in decent mechanical condition. I know that my own little scrape-up with the Fit cost me $700 to fix, so how much is this way heavier damage going to run?? I'm thinking more than the car is even worth. But replacing it is going to cost us even more.

We have State Farm, does anyone else have it and did they yank your rates up a lot for your first accident? The reason I ask here is that there are a lot of young guys in this forum who have probably gone through it.

I'm thinking we go ahead and report it, especially in case the other driver suddenly decides she has whiplash or something.

So tell me your accident/insurance nightmare stories, or give me advice on what you would do.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
What I'd do would depend on the other driver. A quote would be preferable for comparison with the costs of what the other driver wants. However, you should call a shop, and ask how much painting or replacing that bumper costs. If their requests are satisfactory, get their sign off in writing--as in they will not sue or request any further recompense--and preferably have a family lawyer OK such document prior to the other party's signing.

About 3/4 of a year ago, repainting, etc a rear quarter panel on a 2009 Fit was 300$ cash at a shop we send business to. It was scraped by some careless (SUV?) hit and run driver of about 0.25 to 0.5 sq ft of paint.

About 5 yrs ago replacing a rear bumper on a parked 1995/6 Corolla was about 3500$ through AAA/CSAA. That hit and run resulted in about a 2 ft section of the bumper being torn off.

After my first accident about 10 or 15 yrs ago, AAA raised the annual rate about 1500-2000$. I think that was also (another) Corolla, with which I rear-ended someone also with AAA. There were little or no noticeable damages (late at night) to them. My hood was bent in the middle with minor grill damage, etc. I think the repairs on my end were about 3500$ charged to the insurance. I found years later that the other party needed counseling for the accident at a cost of about 5,000 or 10,000$.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:42 PM
5 Year Member
One problem is I have no idea what year her Rav4 was, and she has not called us or made a claim on our insurance yet, tomorrow it will be a week since the accident.

Wow, you got absolutely HAMMERED on that insurance rate!! How old were you when you had the accident? Counseling? For a fender bender?? That's kind of crazy.

I think we are going to make the claim, we have full coverage and our deductible is $500. If we reduce the coverage on that car after they pay the claim, we will likely compensate for the rise in his rates. He does get a good student discount although he will lose the "Steer Clear" safe driver discount. State Farm does a separate surcharge on the driver that has the accident, they don't just raise the entire rate for the other 2 of us on the policy (we parents are both 53 - and safe drivers).

His work will be over $2000 and the other driver had more than one scratch, her whole bumper may need replacing, so we pretty much have to make the claim at this point.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
We had AAA insurance. What we found was that when our son spun out on an icy ramp, we not only lost any "discount" on our rates, but he got a surcharge on top of the "regular" rate. It was a double whammy. What could we do but file the claim, though? At the time, we couldn't pay for the damage and that's what we buy insurance for.

Best wishes.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:24 PM
5 Year Member
See if having your son take a defensive driving course will lower his rates.... I believe taking the test is good for a 10% reduction on rates..... There is a lot of beneficial information and the course can be taken on line.... I hadn't filed a claim in 34 years when a road hazard did $2k worth of damage to my Fit and there was no change in my rates..... If I was in your situation I'd do as little as is necessary for the Camry to be safely and legally driven and let your son be accountable for repairing the cosmetic damage as a reminder to not follow too closely and pay attention.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:44 PM
5 Year Member
I have a 24 year old son that had a 330ci bmw, not very good in winter and hit his girl friends bmw m5 so we are looking at over 20000 between the two cars. He paid the deductible and his insurance paid it all to be fixed. They then tried to drop him but I have a no cancel on my insurance and they reinstated him the next day. His rates went up a little but mine did not. My son lives in Chicago and they did not salt the street because they were saving money and that did not last long. Just look at your policy and see, Your have to keep your son on your insurance till 25. My son paid the premium, I did not, It was about 1400 a year and went up to 1450, not bad for a bmw.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
See if having your son take a defensive driving course will lower his rates.... I believe taking the test is good for a 10% reduction on rates..... There is a lot of beneficial information and the course can be taken on line.... I hadn't filed a claim in 34 years when a road hazard did $2k worth of damage to my Fit and there was no change in my rates..... If I was in your situation I'd do as little as is necessary for the Camry to be safely and legally driven and let your son be accountable for repairing the cosmetic damage as a reminder to not follow too closely and pay attention.
Good grades(B or better) will lower rates my other son is just starting to drive and his rate will be 500 every 6 months, He knows he has to keep that grade point average. He also will be paying that, Driving is a privilege not a right. Defensive driving course will help but that is usually done before he get his licence, my insurance company sent him a packet to be filled out by his driving instructor and me. Usually if you dont get a accident or ticket in 10 years they will forgive the first accident with out paying the deductible.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
Your have to keep your son on your insurance till 25.
Um... what? Not sure I follow.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
I guess I should explain, You can keep your kids on your insurance until they are 25, I guess I have good insurance. Insurance rates drop when they hit 25 so they can get their own policy then. If my son went on his own and got his own policy he would pay double, Since he was on my insurance since he started to drive and I would have to sign a paper saying that he could not drive my cars and need his own policy, That what my parents did to me at 19 years old, so I drove many years with out insurance 25 years ago. Now its a law but it wasn't back then that insurance is required. That is why I drive defensively now because of that. Here are a few links that might explain it better.

Cheap car insurance under 25

No Claims Bonus Car Insurance For Young Drivers Under 25

Old 06-13-2010, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
I guess I should explain, You can keep your kids on your insurance until they are 25, I guess I have good insurance. Insurance rates drop when they hit 25 so they can get their own policy then. If my son went on his own and got his own policy he would pay double, Since he was on my insurance since he started to drive and I would have to sign a paper saying that he could not drive my cars and need his own policy, That what my parents did to me at 19 years old, so I drove many years with out insurance 25 years ago. Now its a law but it wasn't back then that insurance is required. That is why I drive defensively now because of that. Here are a few links that might explain it better.

Cheap car insurance under 25

No Claims Bonus Car Insurance For Young Drivers Under 25
Pretty much works the same here in Ontario. Once you hit 25, you will see a significant drop in your insurance rate. That is why I am still insured under my parents. However, males are charged more for insurance here; and if you drive a Honda it is typically more than any other vehicle as well.

Insurance here also depends on your geographical area.
When my older brother bought his first house a few years ago, it was around the corner from us (within walking distance) but a different postal code. His rates dropped significantly. Now that he has moved into a higher class area, the rates dropped even more. AND this is with having three cars (one a BMW convertible for the summer).

Last edited by iluvmyVersa08; 06-13-2010 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:21 AM
My experience (military) is perhaps a bit different in this arena. It didn't even occur to me to try to stay on my parents' policy. Then again, I was 2500 miles away, and married by 20. I didn't see any change at 25, so I kinda thought maybe it was an urban myth... God knows that a 20 year old and an 18 year old, both insured on a Jeep Wrangler softtop should've been a real wallet-killer!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:07 AM
5 Year Member
I think you already know the answer to this.

Your only choice is to deny any connection to your son and have your DNA modified to scientifically support this claim. Even then, plastic surgery to remove any family resemblence would be helpful.

I'm guessing your husband is already onboard with this idea. If he's 19, your son won't care either...but it will be hard on you. But you are going to have to photoshop all your photo's...because your son is now living in Hawaii and his name is Pauly. He's studying to be a herbologist and is putting himself through college by working part-time as a fire eater at a major hotel that stages luau's for tourists.

I don't care how many men in black State Farm sends to your door...you stick with this story...You may have to pay someone to visit during the Holidays as Pauly...I'd do it, but I'm afraid of Pork and Fire...

Eventually you can re-introduce your son into your family get togethers as Paulys friend from College...but the illusion can never be jeopardized. From now on it's guest towels for junior...and the good stuff for Pauly...

Of course the ridiculous alternative would be just to report the whole thing and let the chips fall where they may. Your rates will increase. But where exactly is the fun in that?

Body work is expensive...and having someone in the family that can eat fire and broil up pork chops is a plus...

So my advice....say Aloha to One Son...and Aloha to another......

Old 06-13-2010, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Juliane
One problem is I have no idea what year her Rav4 was, and she has not called us or made a claim on our insurance yet, tomorrow it will be a week since the accident.

Wow, you got absolutely HAMMERED on that insurance rate!! How old were you when you had the accident? Counseling? For a fender bender?? That's kind of crazy.

His work will be over $2000 and the other driver had more than one scratch, her whole bumper may need replacing, so we pretty much have to make the claim at this point.
Per wikipedia, there are only three generations of Rav4s. It wouldn't hurt to ask a friendly shop about charges. Personally, as someone who has been hit in the past, I'm not happy about scrapes, but don't care unless it affects function or safety.

AAA is aggressive in the neighborhoods I've lived in and in general, from what I've heard. If I'm not still asleep, around 19-20 YO.

I've usually seen vehicle crash safety features referred to as potentially requiring relatively inexpensive repairs, but I expect fender benders to cost at least 3000 per modern unibody vehicle. Also, I was under the impression pedestrian and vehicle laws in Europe were moving vehicle technology towards even easier crumpling at low speeds, so costs should only go up.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
if you cant afford to fix the person's car out of pocket i think you have no choice but to use insurance.

as for your son's car, you can take it to a claims adjuster to get a check from statefarm. they will deduct your deductible. from there you can take it to your mechanic of choice and do watever you want with the car (or check).

Old 06-14-2010, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
OK, so I filed a claim this morning. When we took the car to the body shop, the guy there said that State Farm may go ahead and "total" the car. Since the repairs are going to cost somewhere in the area of one third to one half of the current value of the car, they may give us the value and take the car, OR we can take a discounted amount, keep the car, and get it fixed. That sounds OK to me. Thanks to the clunkers program, a lot of used cars got turned into scrap, so good used cars are harder to find and are more expensive.

Still no word at all from the other driver....Strange, because she has no reason not to contact us - the repair would be on our dime.

And, I forgot - a friend of mine reminded me that I have another discount for him - to get his residence transferred up to the college town where he lives, a much lower accident rate. That and the good grade discount should really take care of any rate increase. (fingers crossed)

Last edited by Juliane; 06-14-2010 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I think you already know the answer to this.

Your only choice is to deny any connection to your son and have your DNA modified to scientifically support this claim. Even then, plastic surgery to remove any family resemblence would be helpful.

I'm guessing your husband is already onboard with this idea. If he's 19, your son won't care either...but it will be hard on you. But you are going to have to photoshop all your photo's...because your son is now living in Hawaii and his name is Pauly. He's studying to be a herbologist and is putting himself through college by working part-time as a fire eater at a major hotel that stages luau's for tourists.

I don't care how many men in black State Farm sends to your door...you stick with this story...You may have to pay someone to visit during the Holidays as Pauly...I'd do it, but I'm afraid of Pork and Fire...

Eventually you can re-introduce your son into your family get togethers as Paulys friend from College...but the illusion can never be jeopardized. From now on it's guest towels for junior...and the good stuff for Pauly...

Of course the ridiculous alternative would be just to report the whole thing and let the chips fall where they may. Your rates will increase. But where exactly is the fun in that?

Body work is expensive...and having someone in the family that can eat fire and broil up pork chops is a plus...

So my advice....say Aloha to One Son...and Aloha to another......
You're funny....But I'd like to trade my younger son instead, the older one is great and the younger one is a PITA so maybe he can go away and we can pretend the older one is the younger one???

Yeah, I know, it's all so compulsive, I want to know all of the answers before anything happens so I never make a wrong move. Even my neuroses have neuroses.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:42 AM
5 Year Member
You're funny....But I'd like to trade my younger son instead, the older one is great and the younger one is a PITA so maybe he can go away and we can pretend the older one is the younger one???

Yeah, I know, it's all so compulsive, I want to know all of the answers before anything happens so I never make a wrong move. Even my neuroses have neuroses.
Sorry, glad you realize I was joking. I tend to cruise the internet and post on nights when I have insomnia. Sometimes that isn't such a good idea.

I do sincerely hope it works out...Son's, Daughters,..accidents and insurance claims...it's all part of life...good luck.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
for the several times ive been a victim of accidents ive never dealt with the offending party directly. i'll get their info and just go through my insurance. i dont usually even give them my home address either. just my name, maybe my phone number, insurance info and my agent's info. i tell them they'll hear from my insurance folks.

if the opponent doesnt have insurance, then obviously cops will be need to be called to make an official report even if it's a fender bender and my insurance will talk to the cops and the offending party to get reimbursement.

i pay my insurance for a reason and that's the work that is expected of them.

hope everything works out for you! :)

Old 06-15-2010, 07:54 PM
5 Year Member
When we took the car to the body shop, the guy there said that State Farm may go ahead and "total" the car.

we can take a discounted amount, keep the car, and get it fixed.
Since the insurance probably wants the totaled vehicle more than you do (to auction/sell), you'll likely end up having to do the DMV dance and paperwork to get the "Salvage Title" for your totaled vehicle. That may require Brake and Light Inspection, etc in your state.

Also, insurance claims for a vehicle with a Salvage Titles seem to be 50% of repair cost (or worth) from my experience. Liability coverage (for the other party) doesn't normally change on a Salvage Title, but neither do your rates--not including the increase from having an accident.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
We DO want the car, since the Cash for Clunkers program, a lot of cars that would have been decent replacements have been scrapped. There is a definite difference in the used car market since that damned program...

I will fight for the car, because we don't have any other options. I hope they don't total it, if as you say, the insurance company will fight us for it. The body shop didn't seem to think it would go that way, though.

Quick Reply: Rear-ender - insurance rate question