Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Is it really possible? Fit -> Type R -> Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
An "auto" and/or a mini van are not an option.

The main concern I have is staying competitive with Gymkhana. I did ok racing the Fit at auto cross (got 1st place in my class). But Gymkhana is a whole new monster...

Last edited by Saved; 06-30-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Saved
An "auto" and/or a mini van are not an option.

The main concern I have is staying competitive with Gymkhana. I did ok racing the Fit at auto cross (got 1st place in my class). But Gymkhana is a whole new monster...
Yeah, a monster that gives your car plaid stripes.

All joking aside, I'm sure the Fit would still be competitive despite having less power, an open diff, and last but not least a torsion beam rear suspension.

If I remember correctly, you told me that the Progress rear sway dramatically helps swinging the rear end around so that is a given along with lowering.

Maybe a throttle body controller to open the throttle body up quicker in the slow tight corners of the courses as well as an Ultra Racing rear lower bar/rear member brace (which could help the off throttle oversteer when used with the RSB possibly) and if you have room in your budget a LSD.

In addition to that, if you really want to get crazy come race day, toss the rear seats out. That will definitely help get the rear end around in hand brake turns.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
I'd keep the ITR and just get another Fit.

Old 06-30-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by JDMxGE8
That's expensive

I'd say keep the ITR and buy an old Saab or BMW wagon or something of that ilk

Old 06-30-2010, 08:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gbaby2089
That's expensive

lolololol... Saab is never a good idea, much less an old one. BMW may be cheaper to buy up front but maintenance costs will accumulate quickly (even for 3 series). Plus it's hard to find a bimmer in a MT.

I say Fit is FTW. I'm getting another Fit instead of something much faster because the Fit does everything i could ever ask for. BTW, i went from a Porsche to a Fit, and there's few times where i find myself saying "i wish i never sold that car".

Old 06-30-2010, 08:57 PM
That's expensive

It's really not that expensive. I have both and I don't know how you could say the Fit is more fun than the ITR. Sure I enjoy driving the Fit and its fun around town but I'd rather be driving the ITR.

And on another note you shouldn't be dailying the R anyway. You're just asking to have it stolen.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 PM
5 Year Member
Totally Agree

Have you ever owned a Saab? We owned a Saab for 60,000 miles of trouble-free, turbo 5 speed luxury miles
i work on them... sadly. Scariest engineering bull crap, aside from VW/Audi. Done several engines in 9-5s and 9-3s. Turbos don't hold up worth a damn, and timing chain rails wear out prematurely. Convertibles have terrible squeaks/rattles. Interiors aren't too bad, just watch out for a broken seal around the shark fin radio antenna... cuz you'll have a soaked headliner/trunk area next rain storm. I actually have a '04 9-3 in my bay right now with so many problems it's forced the owner to try and get out from under it. Car is for sale if you wanna buy it!!! :D lol

Old 06-30-2010, 10:03 PM
5 Year Member
well those are post gm takeover

what about the older ones?
backwards engine. dare i say more???

Glad to see someone quoting Jeremy Clarkson!

edit: can't forget, the ignition key lock usually comes apart so you can't take the key out. The damn ign lock is a royal pain in the arse to get out.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
Or u could get a subie wagon or a previa for cheap and will last a long time. But i would say best bet get a Fit

Old 07-01-2010, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BLacK FirE
And on another note you shouldn't be dailying the R anyway. You're just asking to have it stolen.
It's not as bad as you might think. I moved about an hour away from the city, and work at a chemical plant. It's kind of nice being able to go to make a run into town and not have everyone starring at the car like she's a 18 y/o virgin wearing a plaid skirt. That's the face I get when I drive into Houston.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
What year ITR is that and what is the mileage?

Old 07-01-2010, 01:01 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by The BOM
i work on them... sadly. Scariest engineering bull crap, aside from VW/Audi.
Word. I owned a Saab, once (see pic above). It was fun because of how odd it was; freewheel, 4speed on the column, lever shocks, etc. But it broke a lot, and parts prices were ridiculous. Subsequent Saabs owned by friends convinced me that they had not learned any lessons, and I never considered buying another one. Well, maybe a 92X ;)

Back on topic. I don't know a lot about ITR but it is obviously less practical for a family. I personally find the Fit to be an absolute hoot to drive. By a used 5MT, get a second set of wheels with some hot tires for race day, and revel in the brilliance of your decision.

The WRX wagon would work well too, in the same dual capacity. But it will cost a bit more to own and run.

Last edited by wdb; 07-01-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member
hmm that red fit is lookin pretty good. =P

Old 07-01-2010, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
I don't want to offend anyone, but personally, I wouldn't put my baby in a 2500 lb. sub-compact, probably ever.

I'd start at a Passat wagon, or the like, and go up from there. Not sure what additional transportation you all might have too. If it's just for every once in a while, the Fit is better than an IT-R, but you know, that's just up to you as to how much safety plays a part in your values right now. Once again, that's just me. No reason for anyone to get pissy.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by hayden
I don't want to offend anyone, but personally, I wouldn't put my baby in a 2500 lb. sub-compact, probably ever.
You brought up a good point. I probably wouldn't put my baby in Fit either. I'd probably get a Civic or Accord sedan when I have my first kid.

And don't worry about people being pissy. You have the right to state your own opinion.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
And don't worry about people being pissy. You have the right to state your own opinion.
It just seems like a sensitive topic. Like stating that a Fit owner is endangering their child, or is an irresponsible parent or something. I do hope people realize that crash ratings are only compared to other cars in it's class though. 5 star Fit vs. 5 star SUV is a completely different deal. It's simple physics.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Padraic
What year ITR is that and what is the mileage?
98' with 142K on the clock.
Originally Posted by bigtoepfer
hmm that red fit is lookin pretty good. =P
I'm starting to think so...
Originally Posted by hayden
Not sure what additional transportation you all might have too. If it's just for every once in a while, the Fit is better than an IT-R, but you know, that's just up to you as to how much safety plays a part in your values right now.
Are you calling me an un-fit Father!?!?!?!

Totally joking. The full time baby-mobile will comprise of my wife's 01' Acura TL. My car will just be a "stand in" when she's not able to transport the little one.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
I don't see how a Fit is dangerous for a baby, not looking to start a conflict, but the technology of today allows for small cars to be extremely safe...as for Fit v. SUV, anything except something huge will lose against an SUV...and I'd take my chances with something new rather than a ten yr old acura

Old 07-01-2010, 03:49 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
especially when properly installed with Ricaro child seats like in my Fit's (both of them have 2 each) it cant get any safer than this...well, unless you dont drive. :p

Old 07-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by baylorbro
No, all new dads drive minivans. Just a fact of life. lol
lol. i know you're joking but sad some folks just give up on life with that one lame line "fact of life." change it. make it better.

Quick Reply: Is it really possible? Fit -> Type R -> Fit?