Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Super GT/JGTC Racing and why it's not aired in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Super GT/JGTC Racing and why it's not aired in the U.S.

I don't know about you guys, but everytime I see a magazine article, video highlight on youtube, or even just a picture of the newly designed cars (such as the new Honda hsv-010..which APPARENTLY has done well this year, or the Nismo/Calsonic R-35s, etc..) I cant help but ask, why do these races not get aired on any of the American channels!? I appreciate all kinds of racing from Japanese GT cars to dirt-track sprint car racing. This is seriously quality racing we are missing out on here in the good ole US of A.. You can't even stream the races live on the internet (at least not that I know of). Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Super GT hold a race in America one year, or still does even? If you guys are anything like me you've spent countless hours playing the Gran Tourismo games and really enjoy watching the Best Motoring International videos x amount of times. Majority of those drivers in those movies are professional drivers in the GT-500 and GT300 class races of Super GT. I say we got a bone to pick with Speed Channel.../rant

Old 09-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Speed use to show these races a few years ago and they held an exhibition race at California speed way but nothing now. Speed is basically a NASCAR channel. With all the races around the world you figure they might be able to air some of it. They do have a few episodes of the D1 drift series in japan now.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, not much market or interest in the us. most of the drift vids ive seen are done in the US by american folks and it's just not the same watching them vs j-cars burning rubber by j-drivers like legend doridori.

it's like watching fast and the furious with all sorts of asians and caucasian actors but little to no japanese folks. feels kinda fake... but that's just my opinion. :)

Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
JGTC was on US soil 1 time.. I was there and it was AMAZING! Im not really a fan of drifting and Enjoy JGTC alot more. Its a shame they didnt hold anymore races... i think it would have done WAY better than D1.

BTW they now show D1 on Speed. GHEY

Old 09-09-2010, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member
I'm seriously going to try to hit up the round at Fuji next month, but the same month F1 is over at Suzuka and MotoGP up at Motegi. October, great professional racing month in Japan. :D What to see, what to see?!?!

Old 09-10-2010, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member
Not here because there's no sponsor money Im guessing. Comes down to money. Just find the torrents of the races, that's what I do for WRC. I would love to see touring car racing here. NASCAR and F1 dont really do anything for me.