Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

The reason for bad quality in Detriot cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
Unfortunately, I don't know if it's American standards improving or Japanese standards deteriating...but I don't perceive a huge difference.
Working at a Toyota Dealder i woul say... Both! More and more Toyota parts are made in China and Mexico and anybody that visited a Ford Dealder lately would say there isn't a damn thing in common between a new Focus and an old Topaz!! Just like 01-up civics that have inferior MacPherson suspention compared to the old Double Wishbone that graced every 00-previous Civics and Integras... Personately, i've had many Chrysler products through the years and never had one that was shockingly wrong... My neons had piston slap issues just like every Neons made out there but never gave me headaches! I think a 95-99 Neon DOHC is a good value for somebody that is learning how to drive and is on a budget.... Good power, Good economy, lots of performance parts available and they doesn't cost an arm and a leg to repair\maintain!! ...plus, they are dirt cheap compared to anything Japanese that will never give you the same fun factor for the price paid! A 99 Neon DOHC for the Price of a rusty to the death 89 Civic Hatch? Come on!

My 2¢!

Marko!!

Old 03-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Racebrewer
<LOL> My first new car was a 1970 Ford. The second was a 1971 Datsun that went 25 mph faster and got 5 miles per gallon better. I still own the second one.

The first one was probably re-melted to make Yugos.........

John
You're still holding a 71' Datsun. If it's a 240Z I'm with ya!!

Old 03-06-2011, 03:14 PM
mmmm... classic 240Z. The Japanese had a little time period where they didn't quite know what they were doing stylewise, so they just copied the best of the rest of the world. They often made some great 4/5 scale versions. You always see it from the Japanese when they

Celica Mustang GT

Datsun Ferrari GTB

Honda Civic CVCC Clubman

Subie People's Car:

(Do I really need to post the obvious inspiration?)

Toyota's Jeep:

You still see it today sometimes, when the Japanese move into a new segment. For example, the Tundra is a blatant F150 ripoff, and the Honda Odyssey (once they gave up on the Euro MPV look) is a pretty obvious Dodge Caravan. They put styling on the back burner until they work out all of the technological kinks.

Er, sorry to digress. Back to Detroit. Looking through consumer reports car issue (just arrived in my mailbox), the difference between Japan and Detroit, particularly Ford, are not as striking as they once were. Honda and Toyota are usually very high, but Nissan, Subaru, Mitsubishi, et al., are no better than average. I don't think it's slipping Japanese quality - the Americans are so much better than they were in the dark days of the 80's and early 90's that "average" is far higher than it was. Even Hyundai/Kia are respectable automakers (the new Kia slogan may be "THAT'S A KIA!?!")

Last edited by Occam; 03-06-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Whoa - WAY oversized image for the CVCC