Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Toyota Yaris

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:15 PM
5 Year Member
Toyota Yaris

I always considered the Yaris to be a competitor to our Fits but never really looked at one until the other day when I saw one in a parking lot. The exterior is similar but the interior is flat out awful and regardless of what it got for reviews, the interior alone would be enough to keep me from buying one! I don't believe I have ever seen an uglier and more boring interior in a new car than in a Yaris.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
I always considered the Yaris to be a competitor to our Fits but never really looked at one until the other day when I saw one in a parking lot. The exterior is similar but the interior is flat out awful and regardless of what it got for reviews, the interior alone would be enough to keep me from buying one! I don't believe I have ever seen an uglier and more boring interior in a new car than in a Yaris.

Echo looked about the same

Everyone complained about the interior design, but I liked the gauge location in the one my ex-wife had. The blank spot in front of the wheel was a great place to mount a GPS, and you got used to the gauges after about 10 minutes. It was a drab, ugly interior though.

The scion xB pulls off the styling much better.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
That Xb interior looks pretty nice IMO. The shifter is in an interesting position though. I wonder if it gets in the way of the controls when in 1st, 3rd or 5th? And I believe your wife's Echo's interior is much nicer than the Yaris'.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by hogwylde
That Xb interior looks pretty nice IMO. The shifter is in an interesting position though. I wonder if it gets in the way of the controls when in 1st, 3rd or 5th? And I believe your wife's Echo's interior is much nicer than the Yaris'.
nope the shifter position is great I had 2003 si and I loved it

Old 09-26-2010, 10:24 PM
My Element had it up on the dash; it was fantastic! I looked strange, but felt wonderful.

Worked well in the Mazda5 as well...

Old 09-26-2010, 10:45 PM
This looks so neat and nice man.. I love it.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam

Echo looked about the same

Everyone complained about the interior design, but I liked the gauge location in the one my ex-wife had. The blank spot in front of the wheel was a great place to mount a GPS, and you got used to the gauges after about 10 minutes. It was a drab, ugly interior though.

The scion xB pulls off the styling much better.
i almost bought an xB sorta glad i didn't tho, because I kinda like the cluster right infront of me

Old 09-26-2010, 10:48 PM
If cars were well designed, the instrument cluster would be just above the windshield, as well as the audio/info center readouts.

Look up.

Now look down.

Note that when you look down, your eyelids partially close, and you lose your peripheral vision above. But when you look up, you retain your peripheral vision below.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
I'm sooooo SOOOOO lucky that my local Toyota dealers didn't give me a good deal when I was shopping for a daily driver.

I looked at the Yaris 5 door hatch and the price was so close to that of the Fit, that I didn't consider it further.

After buying my 09 Base Auto, I was so happy with it that I sold my Garage Queen and bought a second Fit (2010 Sport Auto).

Only way I was going to get into a Yaris was if it would have been MUCH cheaper (in price) than the Fit.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Had a Yaris rental car...

And the gauges over in the middle are really annoying...and I am old...it makes the gauges harder to see...

Also there was some seat belt hanging down the middle of the back window...I saw a Fit with a similar belt...there did not seem to be any way to remove the Yaris belt.

Could not wait to get back home to my Fit!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:34 PM
5 Year Member
I was at one time very close to buying a Echo (this was when I thought I was going to have a 90 mile commute, each way, early 2000). I saw the center dash and thought it didn't look right. The Yaris looks way to simple which cheapens the look.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yaris is garbage. i can say so cause ive had to drive several of them at Hertz.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
I like the look of the XB for sure. Hmm not the yaris though

Old 09-28-2010, 12:52 PM
5 Year Member
yah, i kinda like the current xB too, actually. :p

but the interior is so BLAND it's like a yaris.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:56 PM
5 Year Member
imo the "center of the dash gauges" toyota uses is total fail. im not sure of everyone elses opinion but why would you want to look to the right to the center of the dash to see all your readouts. its distracting and moronic, at least the mini has the tach in front and i guess you dont really need to worry about the speed.

i guess scion and toyota and any other manufacturer that decided putting the gauges in the center guessed that the passengers should know how fast the driver is going and to remind him to slow down, get gas, mileage sucks, shift earlier.

toyota has to stop making lame a to b commuting tools. its really about time to bring back the supra and hurry the release the ft-86.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Don't underestimate the Yaris. It's a funny looking car, however, it is a 40mpg ride with almost as much cargo room as the Fit. My 25yo daughter has driven an MT for 3yrs without a problem. She likes it's charm.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
JJIN- im not too keen on the center gauge either but on the 03 Cooper-S i had, it worked pretty well since the tach was on the steering column with the other gauges on the center dash.

the yari's gauge is like a 1990's boombox display.

krimson- the hatch looks cute (in a good way) and im sure some girls like that bubbly shape. i dont really care too much about mpg... i didnt buy the Fit for mpg... just the convenience. with me driving i think im doing like 25mpg on my Fit. :D

Old 09-29-2010, 12:05 AM
I don't like the idea of looking in the middle to check out the speedometer. It kind of hurts my eyes when I sat in one.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
I traded in my 07 Yaris for my Fit and after 4 years of ownership and 65k miles I can say that I loved my Yaris. The only thing that needed to be replaced was the cheap stock radio under warranty. The gauges in the center does take some time to get used to, but I used the driverside glove box to hold my gps, which was awesome. The Yaris is definitely more fuel efficient, but now that I changed the way I drive by looking at the mpg meter I'm averaging about 40mpg with my Fit. The Yaris is a smaller cheaper looking car that is a little bit more fuel efficient. The Fit is bigger,nicer and safer car. I love both cars and would buy both again in the future without hesitation.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
My girlfriend has the 09 Yaris S 2dr hb, it's pretty nice. I really like the interior too, the stereo came with the iPod link. So you control it from the head unit. I lowered it and put a greddy ti-c exhaust. I think it's a cool car and gets great mpg.

Quick Reply: Toyota Yaris