Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

I would buy this in a Heartbeat if Honda offered it...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 06:51 PM
I would buy this in a Heartbeat if Honda offered it...

The 2.2L Diesel Civic, with a glorious 251 lb-ft of torque at 2000 RPM, 140 hp at a mere 4000 RPM, 0-62 mph in 8.7 secs, 6 speed manual.

It's the best of both worlds between the Fit and Civic - it's basically all civic from the driver's seat forward, with the nicer materials that entails... but, the rear suspension is from the Fit, with the the fold-flat seats one would expect in that design:

Note that the Magic Seats are there too:

With the diesel, MPG is estimated at 44/66 urban/extra-urban (36/54 city/highway in US MPG). It's 167 inches long - a bit longer than the USDM Fit, but a good bit shorter than a USDM Civic - it's roughly the same size as a Versa.

Stylish, efficient, versatile... yeah, I'd be on this in a heartbeat.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:53 PM
I talked to an owner of the "Championship White" special edition of a 2009 Civic Type-R in Germany as I was taken some snaps of it - his version comes with a factory limited slip differential. He loved it. I found it to be a nicely proportioned and good looking car, though I like it better in dark colors.

However, Wikipedia states:

Production of the current generation of the Civic Type R hot hatch for the European market is due to finish in October 2010. The car’s high-revving 2.0-litre VTEC engine is to blame, as it does not meet forthcoming Euro V emissions regulations. Instead of reengineering the unit the meet the stricter standards, which come into force for all new cars in January 2011, the UK market Type R will be axed and replaced by a new model when the all-new Civic arrives in late 2011. Over 12,000 Civic Type Rs have been sold in the UK since January 2007, and although the last UK cars will be sold by December, Honda’s Swindon plant will continue to build the car for the Australian and South African markets. It is also exported to Japan and marketed as Civic Type-R EURO in limited edition in fall 2010, following a successful run in November 2009. According to Autocar, Euro V emission requirement also caused the demise of Alfa Brera with 3.2 V6, Ford Focus ST, Mazda RX-8 and the VW Group’s 5.0 V10 turbodiesel.

Yeah, I know we're talking that diesel version - but it seems that there will be changes for ALL European Civics. I've read that it will have a smaller diesel than the 2.2, along with many other changes - including a possible dual-clutch transmission. The next U.S. version comes in 2012 and no proven accurate pictures or details exist yet. However, this possibilty looks disappointing:

Unmaked 2012 Honda Civic US Version So Bland » Honda, Waiting, Official, Source, City, Proportion » AUTOinCAR

ACK!!!

Old 10-30-2010, 08:22 PM
All that have been shown are pictures from a UAE website... Have any other pictures been shown (Not sure what pics from the Gulf have to do with USDM, but I digress)

Old 10-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Occam
All that have been shown are pictures from a UAE website... Have any other pictures been shown (Not sure what pics from the Gulf have to do with USDM, but I digress)
Not of anything that anyone has claimed will be the US model, and I searched for quite a while. I agree that the Middle East is an odd place to look for what may end up on our shores, but it's totally different from the Euro model, looking mostly like a cheap Acura. I sincerely hope we don't get that one and I'll try to be less cynical in the future! (I did mention it was only a possibilty...)

The Euro version is likely to be considered too risky of a style for "typical" Americans, although "real" Honda fans would probably snap them up. We just don't make up a large enough portion of the buying market here.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:05 PM
Yeah... Probably true. Nice to see that Nissan/Renault went out on a limb with the Juke. Compared to a Megane, Espace, any current Citroën, it doesn't look that odd. In the US market, something like the Citroën Xsara Picasso or Fiat Multipla would probably be torched on sight. Remember how everyone slipped a cog over the third gen Taurus?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:17 PM
I would LOVE to have a diesel in my GD! Just a 1.6t is that too much to ask for Santa?

Old 10-30-2010, 09:38 PM
Yeah, that Taurus got everyone going. I think the ovoid, aquatic creature theme from the '93 Mustang Mach III concept car played a role in that one...

It hurts me to see the truly imaginative automotive styling of so many European and Japanese cars barred from being sold in the U.S.

The web makes it even worse than in the past, when it was just the occasional British car magazine or trip to my relatives in Germany that exposed me to them.

I brought back a couple car magazines from this last trip to Germany and one has a CD of all the cars from the 2010 Paris Auto Salon and the other has a CD containing information on all the 2011 cars with up to 9 pictures of each model. I've been dreading looking at them because so many of them are basically unobtainable here...

Old 10-30-2010, 10:14 PM
ecl
5 Year Member
Yea i love this civic too; would probably even consider it over the fit

Old 10-30-2010, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
The average U.S. automobile customers have no idea what great cars we miss out on..... Ignorance is bliss.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:50 PM
5 Year Member
that thing is sick! we need to have the same emissions laws everywhere so we can get a hold of the cars in other countries.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
yeah i orginally wanted a civic hatchback, but the last ones honda made here in the states was the EP3 so here i am.. with a honda fit lol

Old 10-30-2010, 11:46 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with my Fit... Everytime I look at what else I could be driving I feel I made the right choice!

Old 10-31-2010, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by hobbes87
that thing is sick! we need to have the same emissions laws everywhere so we can get a hold of the cars in other countries.
There was a world forum started in the 1950s to establish a single world standard for vehicle regulations. Guess which country was a notable non-participant.

HINT: It's one that uses archaic measurements like feet, inches, pounds, and ounces.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:05 AM
Yeah, Wikipedia again saying it better than I ever could :

The United States of America is the only industrialized country in the world that has been unable to or refused to use the metric system as its predominant system of measurement. Since trade and communication with other nations is critical to the health of the economy, adopting the measurement system used by 95 percent of the world’s population is not a matter of choice, but a matter of necessity.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:20 AM
I'm so mad they don't sell the hatch here. Although I would want the K20 not a diesel for myself.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:48 AM
Originally Posted by !bungle
Yeah, Wikipedia again saying it better than I ever could :

The United States of America is the only industrialized country in the world that has been unable to or refused to use the metric system as its predominant system of measurement. Since trade and communication with other nations is critical to the health of the economy, adopting the measurement system used by 95 percent of the world’s population is not a matter of choice, but a matter of necessity.
B-b-but that's what those furriners use!

Quick, how many cubic inches are in a gallon?
Quick, what is the temperature exactly midway between freezing and boiling?
Quick, how many feet is 1/5 of a mile?

Yes, you can sit there and calculate them out... but off the top of your head, it's easy to say that there are 1000 cubic centimeters in a liter... or that the temperature half-way between the freezing and boiling points of water is 50 degrees... or that 1/5 of a kilometer is 200 meters. There's no reason to stick with a system that is not only incompatible with our trading partners, but is awkward and inefficient to use. When you consider that SI measurements are defined using highly precise measurements of the speed of light, and the distance particles travel in a vacuum, and US customary units are defined using SI units, it's clear which is superior!

But then, given the number of my fellow citizens that can't name the capital of Canada, I shouldn't be surprised at their myopia regarding the outside world.

Last edited by Occam; 10-31-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:38 PM
It is peculiar, however, that wheel measurements are still done in inches. In Germany, for example, 16 inch wheels are referred to as "16 zoll felgen". Of course, bolt circles, offsets, and hub bores are metric on most cars - for example 4x100 PCD, 45mm offset, 56.1mm hub bore.
Yeah, it's a mess. Anyone remember the Michelin TRX tires? They were designed to mount only on specific wheels with unique metric measurements and were available in 340mm, 365mm, 390mm, and 415mm inner diameters that roughly corresponded to 13.5", 14.5", 15.5", and 16.5".
They were best known here for being available on the Ford Mustang in the early '80s... but they were also sold on the Ferrari 512BB!

Old 10-31-2010, 06:52 PM
5 Year Member
I was reading about the type of wheels you are talking about earlier today while searching out 13" tires at Tire Rack and reading what customers had to say about certain tires.... I was trying to locate some used GM rally wheels in 15"X8" with 5" 5 bolt centers for a GMC Safari van... The guy at the local tire store told me they wouldn't fit my van because it used the same metric sized wheels as the S-10 pickups and small Blazers and they called for 127 mm X 5 bolt pattern.... I couldn't get the guy to believe that there was 25.4mm in an inch and that 127 divided by 25.4 equaled 5".... The guy honestly didn't care to sale me the wheels because he was positive it weren't going to fit.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:19 PM
What a maroon.... as Bugs Bunny would say. Uneducated and stubborn makes for such a lovely combination, don't you think?

Old 10-31-2010, 11:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by !bungle
It is peculiar, however, that wheel measurements are still done in inches. In Germany, for example, 16 inch wheels are referred to as "16 zoll felgen". Of course, bolt circles, offsets, and hub bores are metric on most cars - for example 4x100 PCD, 45mm offset, 56.1mm hub bore.
Yeah, it's a mess. Anyone remember the Michelin TRX tires? They were designed to mount only on specific wheels with unique metric measurements and were available in 340mm, 365mm, 390mm, and 415mm inner diameters that roughly corresponded to 13.5", 14.5", 15.5", and 16.5".
They were best known here for being available on the Ford Mustang in the early '80s... but they were also sold on the Ferrari 512BB!
Those tires are also OE on the old school M6. We have a customer with an all-original M6 with 20k mi on the odometer, he bought the aforementioned tires from Coker for $460 a piece. It's expensive to be original lol

Quick Reply: I would buy this in a Heartbeat if Honda offered it...