Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

2012 Hyundai Veloster

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
2012 Hyundai Veloster

I was checking out some of the new cars at detroits auto show and heard about this one awhile back. What do you guys think of it? I don't know if I'm a fan of the front bumper but everything else is pretty nice, i especially like that glass roof.

Hyundai : News | HYUNDAI REVOLUTIONIZES THE COUPE WITH THE ALL-NEW VELOSTER AT THE DETROIT INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW

Old 01-12-2011, 02:48 PM
One word....Fugly!
But that's just my opinion. Probably mated with Hyundai horrible gearing like the Elantra.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
it's an ugly car but in all fairness, i think the uniqueness gives it some character...

so is that a 5door hatch or a 3? one door seems smaller than the other side...(?)

Old 01-12-2011, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
It's a 3 door... Some people see that as being hazardous in that there may be a passenger sitting on the side without a door that may not be able to slide across the rear seat if the car was involved in an accident...

Old 01-12-2011, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
It's a 3 door... Some people see that as being hazardous in that there may be a passenger sitting on the side without a door that may not be able to slide across the rear seat if the car was involved in an accident...
personally id rather it be a 2 door with 2 seats and just have more room to transport crap. No one ever thinks to do this with a coupe, unless u count the crx/z but there isnt alot of rear space in those. and as for being more hazardous, what about coupes with people in the back lol. at least this gives people a little more of a chance haha.

For people who are into hyundai's at least its a cheaper sportier option instead of the gen coupe.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
ahh, kinda like the MINI clubman setup. i suppose for families with bigger kids that will be okay but for family with infants and small children that's going to be a pita to walk to the other side of the car each time to get them in/out from the back seats.

Old 01-12-2011, 05:59 PM
what does "nice" look like?

Old 01-12-2011, 06:43 PM
5 Year Member
Scion meets Ford Fiesta meets Volvo C30?

Not a bad looking car...just very "busy" in the design

Old 01-12-2011, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Until I was 13 no one in my extended family had cars with more than 2 doors except for My grand parents on my mother's side.... I spent many a mile in the bed of a Ford F-150 with an ice chest full of cold beer exchanging them for empty cans with the adults in the cab..

Old 01-12-2011, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
For me...looking at that front angle shot makes me feel as if I need to yack. Hyundai should approach designs with the idea of less is more and not more is needed. It's a damn eyesore to me, like that Nissan thing that is on the roads now.

Old 01-12-2011, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
when auto companies put out cars like honda's newly designed civic or chevy's cruz they get lambasted for being too bland but when cars like the hyundai veloster and nissan juke hit the showrooms then they're cursed as black sheep of the automotive world... consumers, tough crowd. lol

personally, i like the veloster: 138hp, 40mpg highway, 6spd trans, and it starts under $20k. i just wish i could see an advertisement with a regular color, ie white, gray, or black... i'm not even sure if they will be available in those colors :S

Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GD3_Wagoon
when auto companies put out cars like honda's newly designed civic or chevy's cruz they get lambasted for being too bland but when cars like the hyundai veloster and nissan juke hit the showrooms then they're cursed as black sheep of the automotive world... consumers, tough crowd. lol

personally, i like the veloster: 138hp, 40mpg highway, 6spd trans, and it starts under $20k. i just wish i could see an advertisement with a regular color, ie white, gray, or black... i'm not even sure if they will be available in those colors :S
COLOR PALETTE
Veloster’s light weight, high-efficiency, and “own-it” attitude are all characteristics of a long-distance runner. That spirit lives in the bold color palette Veloster brings to consumers, including Century White, Ironman Silver, Triathlon Gray, Ultra Black, Marathon Blue, Electrolyte Green, 26.2 Yellow, Vitamin C and Boston Red.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:07 AM
I'm just not sure how much it'll cost with all those options. I don't think I would want all of them though.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:45 AM
5 Year Member
A lot of cars that look out of balance or ungainly in photographs look real good when you see them on the road and vice verse.... The 2 clutch 6 speed power and weight make this car appeal to me, but Hyundai has a reputation of not handling all that well.. They otherwise have a decent reputation and are improving..... Thinking back almost 5 years ago when I first saw pictures of a Fit, I wasn't crazy about it but after reading about the driver's impression I knew it was the type of car I wanted... I would like this Hyundai much more if it is available with a minimum of crap that doesn't distract from the joy of driving.... Most cars with that much useless nonsense aren't at all fun to drive.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:31 AM
5 Year Member
Of course not, the manufacturers are trying to distract from the "bore" of driving with gizmos and gadgets. :)

This is one of those cars that I will never find attractive in any fashion. It's another reason I love Hondas, sure many will say they are simple, but their looks last for quite awhile and well I'm sort of simple by nature and don't need flash.

Old 01-13-2011, 05:37 AM
video (not bad at 1:55)
YouTube - 2012 Hyundai Veloster Coupe
images (look good to me...)
2012 Hyundai Veloster -- Autoblog

Old 01-13-2011, 05:45 AM
and just to add... cars do go into transformations and this is where it's at now whether we like it or not... it's just the way it is

love my crosstour :)

Old 01-13-2011, 06:11 AM
YouTube - 2012 Hyundai Veloster

The three doors are cool but the back seat is not very roomy.

Last edited by Elephantman; 01-13-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Elephantman
YouTube - 2012 Hyundai Veloster

The three doors are cool but the back seat is not very roomy.
According to an article the Veloster has the most passenger room in its class, i would like to see that once its in showrooms because maybe the pics are deceiving but it does look cramped. I would probably take them out haha.

Mostly because the amount that the hatch opens is awesome and makes loading stuff in and out a breeze.

I am usually thinking about this because i play the bass and lug around a half stack with my bass and bags of cables and mixers around with me and i like the room for it all. It fits like a glove in my GE8 which i love. I will have to take a picture next time its in there :D

Old 01-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Java^FiT
I am usually thinking about this because i play the bass and lug around a half stack with my bass and bags of cables and mixers around with me and i like the room for it all. It fits like a glove in my GE8 which i love. I will have to take a picture next time its in there :D
hello there fellow bass player :)

Quick Reply: 2012 Hyundai Veloster