Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Toyota Yaris

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 01:04 AM
Hey Pahondadealer...

What good does it do to slam the competition, and extoll the wonders of the Fit, if there are no Fit's to buy?

Sorry, but this is a pet peave I have right now. The Fit might be a better car than Yaris in terms of performance (but not reliability), but it's a he11 of a lot easier to buy a Yaris right now, than a Fit.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by crankshaft
What good does it do to slam the competition, and extoll the wonders of the Fit, if there are no Fit's to buy?

Sorry, but this is a pet peave I have right now. The Fit might be a better car than Yaris in terms of performance (but not reliability), but it's a he11 of a lot easier to buy a Yaris right now, than a Fit.
Really? My brother ordered a Yaris S Sedan on May 15th. He hasn't even gotten a VIN on a car yet. Dealer told him late August, early September.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:13 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Crankshaft, I have to disagree. Try ordering one in the trim line you want. I've heard folks say there are waits of a few months for the liftback Yaris in a manual as well. I've seen fewer Yari around Portland than Fits.

I'm personally in no rush, so waiting another two months isn't a big deal to me if it ends up being the right car. I'm not going to buy a Yaris just because it's available first.

Just my thoughts :)

Old 07-11-2006, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 07Fit00S2K
Wish they brought over the 4 door hatch Vitz. I would consider it over the Fit.

They have the 4-door hatch here. I still like the Fit better. The front of the Yaris looks like it is trying too hard to be a bigger car, or something.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Retired Moderator
That Vitz is trying to look like an Audi...

Old 07-11-2006, 07:32 AM

Crankshaft,

I'm not slammin the Yaris, Edmunds is. So are a lot of other people. Some people like it, some people don't. Simple as that. In my market, Yaris and Fit are equally as difficult to find. Most other places are like that too.

PAHD

Old 07-11-2006, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Packy
Crankshaft, I have to disagree. Try ordering one in the trim line you want. I've heard folks say there are waits of a few months for the liftback Yaris in a manual as well. I've seen fewer Yari around Portland than Fits.

I'm personally in no rush, so waiting another two months isn't a big deal to me if it ends up being the right car. I'm not going to buy a Yaris just because it's available first.

Just my thoughts :)
I admit that I based my accusation on the fact that I see many more Yaris on the road, than Fit. I see several Yaris each day on my 25 mile commute, but I've only seen one Fit on the road....ever, and it's been a few weeks since I've seen it.

If I was willing to settle for a Yaris because it's available first, I wouldn't be here voicing my frustration.

Honda originally projected 60,000 Fit's first year for the U.S. Then they lowered it to 50,000. Now they're down to approx. 40,000. They could easily boost it back to 60,000 and sell every one.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by pahondadealer
Crankshaft,

I'm not slammin the Yaris, Edmunds is. So are a lot of other people. Some people like it, some people don't. Simple as that. In my market, Yaris and Fit are equally as difficult to find. Most other places are like that too.

PAHD
Simply by posting the article, and adding comments, you are condoning the message.

Again, as a salesman of the car, what good does it do to come here and post another message about how great the car is, when they are very hard to get?

You are simply increasing the frustration for the people who want one. And the people who already have one, already know how great the car is.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:05 PM
My sister has an 07 Yaris hatch.. I have a Fit.. I like her car, she likes mine. But I like my car better and she likes her car better. The Fit isn't for everyone.. but neither is the Yaris.. different people like different things.

Old 07-11-2006, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
The Fit might be a better car than Yaris in terms of performance (but not reliability)
What are you basing your reliability statement on? Both cars are new to the North America market. Are you basing it on some Europe or Asia data? Consumer Reports data on other Toyotas and Hondas appear to be about equal from a reliability standpoint, with them both at the top of the reliability ladder.

As for availability, it was easier for me to find a Fit than a Yaris in the Chattanooga area.

Last edited by spreadhead; 07-11-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Honda originally projected 60,000 Fit's first year for the U.S. Then they lowered it to 50,000. Now they're down to approx. 40,000. They could easily boost it back to 60,000 and sell every one.
I agree that Honda shouldn't have lowered their production numbers. I think they didn't anticipate the demand very well. They also probably shifted production to their big seller (and higher-priced model), the Civic. Only issue with doing this is they're limiting the number of first-time buyers they can get hooked on the Honda brand, who would become a long-time customer and -eventually- get a Civic or higher-end Honda later in life.

I'll bet that those who get their Fit this year will end up having a fairly rare vehicle, especially since the design might already be changing next year in the US.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:46 PM
chill pill

wth...........................

Last edited by buttahball; 07-11-2006 at 07:50 PM. Reason: adding image
Old 07-11-2006, 08:08 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
Again, all the Car & Driver and Edmunds reviews base the Yaris off of the Sedan not the liftback. That's why the reviews are so bad for it. I think there would be a difference in a heavier car with the same engine. It's the battle of the sub-compact cars. A sedan isn't compact. Which Civic is more seen as the better racing car, the Civic Hatch or Coupe. Of course a K-20 in the hatch would be the better choice.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:10 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
A Yaris sedan is easier to find. However, the liftback is pretty rare just like the Fit. I've seen 5 Fits around my area, and only 1 Yaris liftback which happens to be my fiance's car.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:38 PM
i ahve Tanabe springs for the Yaris if anybody is interested...

no more shameless plug...hehe

I installed some springs on a liftback Yaris this past weekend. Comparing it to the fit, I like the FIt better.

It handled nice though after I installed those Tanabe nf210 springs

Old 07-12-2006, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 07Fit00S2K
Wish they brought over the 4 door hatch Vitz. I would consider it over the Fit.

what are you talking about? we have them here in canada haha :P
but seriously, i like how they copied the vw and audi styling at the front ;)

Old 07-12-2006, 10:09 AM
5 Year Member
Here in Puerto Rico you can have the Yaris Like Pink Floyd says:" Any color you want" but no 4 door "S". The Fit .......... You have to be the governor's son to find a manual, but in general there are still a few a/t fits. The thing here is That the yaris price is $13,000 ( liftback m/t) and in the other hand FU&^%ng Honda dealers are selling (or trying ) the fit up to $20k. (not me just because the manager wanted to buy my honda cruiser moto). It suks...

Old 07-16-2006, 08:00 AM
Yaris A/T can't beat Jazz/Fit VTEC A/T

I own a Jazz VTEC Matic and recently my sister lent me her 5 door Yaris S Matic and here's my impression after driving Yaris for 3 days :
- Somehow awkward driver's seat, thigh support is too high, can't be adjusted. Only butt support can be adjusted.
- Overall feeling while seating inside the car = higher waistline around can cause claustrophobia
- pedals set up is arranged too upright, very uncomfortable after several hours of driving
- The conventional A/T can't beat the Jazz/Fit's CVT....
BTW, in order to get a fair & balanced review, maybe a Fit owner can lend his/her car to a Yaris owner ?

Old 07-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
^ I agree about the claustrophobia in a Yaris! My wife and I felt very closed-in when test driving one, even for only 20 minutes. The big windows in the Fit remind me of the ones in our Subaru Forester. Lots of light!

Old 07-17-2006, 04:34 PM
the 4 door hatch looks kinda bubbly but its cute, I like it...I like my fit better tho :)

Quick Reply: Toyota Yaris