Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

The Anti-Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member
It's just another "different strokes for different folks." My gf thinks the Fit looks ugly as fk but absolutely loves the Prius C. She's no sports driver and likes the drive just fine. It gets far better mpg than I do. However, I love the fit and its utility but appreciate the P-C just the same. All in the eye of the beholder. There will be people that choose the C over the Fit, but there will just be as much people (if not more) choosing the Fit over the C. Plain and simple.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Just on a logical level I find the wild popularity of hybrid technology offensive.
It isn't bad, don't get me wrong, but it certainly isn't "green" or even very cost effective.
When will Americans as a whole finally figure out that diesel isn't just for big rigs and duallies?

If you buy a hybrid for the gas mileage and not the green image, good on you in my book. Different strokes for different folks, I totally agree, people love all kinds of different cars for different reasons. I just hate being stuck in a conversation with some ill-informed college kid smugly blathering about how enviro conscious they are when they didn't even do their homework on the topic.

Hybrid grievances aside, the Prius c is affordable and looks pretty good even if it probably won't age well. And hell it does get better gas mileage than the fit, even if you have to pay for it up front! The biggest downside for the prius c in my eyes is the added nose-weight of an already nose heavy drive setup paired with Toyota's idea of how a car should drive. Or wallow I should say. Toyota is notorious for giving their family cars a huge amount of suspension travel paired with soft springs and puny dampers. That being said, back to the "different strokes" argument, some people love that driving comfort. I am not yet one of those people. Give me another 20 years and some back problems and I might be though.

Chances are if you're torn between a fit and a prius c then you probably aren't all too concerned with the driving experience/road feel. Reason being that the cost/MPG pros and cons between them even out in my eyes, so it's down to hybrid image, looks of the car, comfort, and brand loyalty. Given that this is a Fit forum, the majority of us are probably gonna choose the Fit.

Old 08-04-2012, 01:14 PM
I remeber when the Prius was said to be worst for the environment than the H1 Hummers.
PRIUS OUTDOES HUMMER IN ENVIRONMENTAL DAMAGE

Old 08-04-2012, 01:45 PM
That is exactly what I was talking about! Nice find

So yeah, the green crowd has no business with it. But hey, better MPGs = less gas money for us either way. I just don't know if paying more up front for the car is actually worth it in the long run.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Honda is actually setting up to recycle/reuse the metals from hybrid batteries and parts, which is pretty good to see. Most batteries are recycled now, especially traction batteries. The way we live is just disastrous to the environment/planet whether it's oil, mining, cell phones, computers, cars...
By the way that prius hummer article is load of horse @#$, just saying... you can do further research and find out more accurate info.

Last edited by mremaximus; 08-06-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:17 PM
5 Year Member
Toyota was smart with advertising the Prius C below $20k but that is the Prius C 1 model which will not be on the dealers lots. So most will be price above $20k which in the sub compact market is high.

On top of that Consumer Reports does not recommend it The Toyota Prius C isn't a good car, and here's why

The average mpg they got was 43 for the Prius C versus the Honda Fit manual 33. Only 10 mpg which makes recovering the price difference over 5 years.

I looked at the Prius C (have own Toyota's for the past 12 years) I would of brought one but did not want the CVT and needed more cargo room.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Toyota was smart with advertising the Prius C below $20k but that is the Prius C 1 model which will not be on the dealers lots. So most will be price above $20k which in the sub compact market is high.

On top of that Consumer Reports does not recommend it The Toyota Prius C isn't a good car, and here's why

The average mpg they got was 43 for the Prius C versus the Honda Fit manual 33. Only 10 mpg which makes recovering the price difference over 5 years.

I looked at the Prius C (have own Toyota's for the past 12 years) I would of brought one but did not want the CVT and needed more cargo room.

Have to take CR reviews with a grain of salt. Reading the comments by Prius C owners tells a different story.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
CR lists the Civic along with the C in their 5 cars to avoid... HA!
Ridiculous...

Old 08-06-2012, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Honda is already planning a significant refreshing of the civic for the 2013 model year as a result of the reviews it got on its 2012 model Honda Planning Major Redesign of New Civic | TheDetroitBureau.com I brought the Fit based on Consumer Reports and US News reviews.

Not saying buyers are unhappy with the Prius C I would of brought one if it had a manual. Consumer reports non recommendation of the above vehicles had nothing to do with reliability but other factors such as handling.

Last edited by cjecpa; 08-06-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by cjecpa
Honda is already planning a significant refreshing of the civic for the 2013 model year as a result of the reviews it got on its 2012 model Honda Planning Major Redesign of New Civic | TheDetroitBureau.com I brought the Fit based on Consumer Reports and US News reviews.

Not saying buyers are unhappy with the Prius C I would of brought one if it had a manual. Consumer reports non recommendation of the above vehicles had nothing to do with reliability but other factors such as handling.
Unless they can release a completely different suspension and power steering setup, there's nothing that can save that car in my eyes. This generation, to me, will always be the one that "got it completely and utterly wrong in every way."

During my test drive of an ex coupe manual, it bucked and yawed all over during steady to hard cornering, the steering remained absolutely lifeless and numb whether it was driven in a parking lot or flying down a curvy banked back road. To me, the civic has always represented a fun to drive economy car, the kind you actually look forward to firing up to run around town in. You could have your cake and eat it too with the civic because it was extremely cheap and miserly economical, yet it wasn't dull in the least. It was still great looking, had an interior that was a nice place to be, and always felt fantastic to drive - truly the best of both worlds, no compromises. This modern model 9th gen has taken a significant plunge below neutral in all three important areas of forward-thinking style, enjoyable, quality interior, and communicative dynamic handling characteristics which inspire confidence and grins. It's plain, dull, and too comfortable for its own good - a car for the undiscerning masses.

I work at a Honda dealership and the quality inconsistencies between the fit and the civic don't stop at aesthetics. Honda's obvious cost-cutting has taken its toll on the civic as well, our techs are constantly replacing the power steering pumps and seals as well as starters. Such cash-cow'ing is reminiscent of the attitude of GM during the late 1980's-early 2000's. Sad days for the civic. I hope they snap out of it for 2013, I just have no faith in them.

Luckily the Fit is still a blast! ...This coming from a BMW enthusiast who daily drives an e36 with a full M3 suspension upgrade and urethane bushings, and a lowered e30. I'd still take the fit over the BMWs. That's definitely something I never thought I'd say even a month ago.

I'd like to reiterate, that I understand the whole different strokes for different folks idea. My opinions are mine and I don't expect anyone else to share them.

TL;DR -
9th gen Civic = Honda cost cut and it shows everywhere, lame, numb car.
Fit = Surprisingly communicative fun car, I'd take it over my fancy modified BMWs.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:28 AM
5 Year Member
That is the one thing I can say is that the Fit is fun to drive in 2 months I already put 7k on it. Plus 2k on my Miata. It has been awhile since I have had a fun daily driver that still gets great gas mileage..

Last edited by cjecpa; 08-10-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 AM
prius is nice but if you do mostly highway driving that electric motor is barely used (unless they fixed that aspect of the prius). and mountain driving would be be worse on the prius,especially on steep inclines.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Wonder if the Prius C handles differently than the original Prius. One of my friends has the Prius sedan and it does fine in the mountains-- but it is kind of a boring car to drive--although all the techno stuff on the dash is cool.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:04 PM
5 Year Member
^- You're wondering if it'll be fun to drive? You do not need to wonder. Assuredly it will not.

It may be more fun than a Prius Regular in the same way that an Insight is more fun than a Civic Hybrid, which is to say, marginally more fun, but mostly just less comfortable. Toyota has the "I really don't want to think about my car, at all" thing dialled in right - it's how they became the biggest carmaker! But for anyone who cares enough about their car to come on to the Internet and write about it, the level of fun is insufficient. But as the owner above pointed out, there's plenty of other things to look for in a car aside from "fast," and there's nothing wrong with that.

You can actually buy lowering springs and sport suspension bits for the Prius Regular, which is staggering. Although as my friend who has one pointed out, it already gets stuck in the snow because of only 5 inches of ground clearance; a 1.2 inch drop would make it absolutely useless in this part of the country.

On the fuel econ pic above - 62mpg is truly amazing if that's what you're consistently getting, under what conditions did you burn that tank of gas? Very curious.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
BTW guys, fuelly shows prius C owners doing not at all badly with their fuel economy -

Toyota Prius C MPG Reports | Fuelly

(At just over 50 this actually beats the Prius Regular, just barely .. but it beats it).

Old 08-10-2012, 08:57 PM
5 Year Member
I checked the Fit 33.4 MPG that is what my car been around maybe slightly higher.
I guess you could always modified the Prius C Name:  untitled.jpg
Views: 918
Size:  95.2 KB

Old 08-11-2012, 10:33 AM
From what i hear, the big problem with hybrids in general if you don't lease is that in 5-7 years you have to replace the batteries, some $7k worth. If that is true, then that kinda puts a damper on what your really saving in fuel mileage. I read they are more expensive to have work done to them, though that may just be specific models.
I'm super picky when picking out a vehicle, so i look at all aspects besides just fuel economy which imo, is only good when the car is still new. seems after a couple years, it goes down and no amount of tuning seems to make it like new but that is just my personal experience.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:51 AM
we need to get some honda diesels.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
I think you hear incorrectly. Very few hybrid owners have yet to take advantage of the 10 yr battery warranty that the Feds required. The oldest hybrids are now around 15 years and that is longer than most people prefer to hang onto their cars. Mostly a nonissue. You'll have time for plenty of expensive stuff to break before the battery does. :P Pure electrics could be different.

Old 08-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
I think you hear incorrectly. Very few hybrid owners have yet to take advantage of the 10 yr battery warranty that the Feds required. The oldest hybrids are now around 15 years and that is longer than most people prefer to hang onto their cars. Mostly a nonissue. You'll have time for plenty of expensive stuff to break before the battery does. :P Pure electrics could be different.
Toyota's battery hybrid warranty is 8 years in 42 states. Only 8 states actually require the 10 year warranty and you might want to read up on what exactly kind of battery fault will grant you free replacement of that battery. Failure rate is low, but that is no excuse to not look at it as a potential cost when buying a new car.
If you read up on Ford's hybrid warranty for example, you'll notice some red flags in regards to the battery warranty. The big one is following the recommendations for battery maintenance, failure to provide proper records from a certified source showing that all maintenance schedules were done..within the mileage limits imposed for each scheduled maintenance, could void your warranty...how many people really take that good care of their batteries? There are a few other issues with that warranty, Like any kind of wreck or fender bender where you dont' have it properly fixed and batteries checked along with the paperwork...could void your warranty as well. but many people don't follow their service guide very well and many more ignore other factors.

Recent research suggests the average car on the road is 11 years old. More and more people are keeping their cars longer. Not the other way around as some like to believe. Hybrids also pose more cost factors to a buyer of a used hybrid. But seriously, to look only at fuel mileage for any car alone as a cost savings is a bit foolish.

For hybrid drivers who plan on buying a new car before hitting six-digit mileage, battery longevity won’t pose much of a threat. But for those in it for the long haul or looking for a nicely aged bargain, battery longevity is certainly something to care about.]

Last edited by NightScreams; 08-12-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Quick Reply: The Anti-Fit?