Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Would you trade in your Fit to buy this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 11:41 AM
5 Year Member
Would you trade in your Fit to buy this?

It seems that the ST is coming to the USA given everybody on this forum likes hatchbacks would you consider getting rid of your current Fit to buy this Fiesta?

2014 Ford Fiesta ST to pack 180-horsepower single-turbo engine

Related GalleryFord Fiesta ST spy shots

By Chris Paukert RSS feed
Posted Nov 16th 2012 10:45AM

Comments85

Ford's Fiesta launched into the US market with a splash thanks to a very well-orchestrated pre-launch PR campaign, but sales haven't proven all that robust over time, with Ford selling just 47,474 examples through October of this year (down 22.6 percent versus 2011).

Ford will be looking to reignite some of that early excitement with a new performance model, the 2014 Fiesta ST, and thanks to some leaked specs made available to Autoblog, we now have a very complete picture of what the tiny terror will look like.

Powered by a 1.6-liter EcoBoost four wearing a single turbocharger, our source says the ST will deliver 180 horsepower and 177 pound-feet of torque, with a temporary overboost mode to extend peak twist. Both figures represent very healthy increases over the standard Fiesta's 1.6-liter Duratec engine, which chips in 120 hp and 112 lb-ft of torque. Like its Focus ST big brother, the new model will feature a so-called "Sound Symposer" to deliver a proper enthusiast's soundtrack. Shifting duties will fall to a six-speed manual, and the front-wheel drive five-door will also feature torque-vectoring technology and a three-mode stability control system for more entertaining handling antics.

The Fiesta ST will ride on a uniquely tuned and lowered sport suspension paired with 17-inch alloys (an inch larger than those available on the lesser Fiestas) wrapped in 205/40R17 Bridgestone Potenza rubber, and braking will be augmented by four-wheel discs with high-performance pads instead of the disc/drum combination on lower models.

Aesthetically, the Fiesta ST will receive a full performance rework, with a gaping trapezoidal grill with a mesh honeycomb insert that's a close kin to that of the Focus ST, along with a body kit said to mirror Ford's World Rally Championship racer (interestingly, Ford has already announced it will exit the series after 2012). Other additions include a rear spoiler, dual chrome exhaust tips and blacked-out headlamp surrounds.

When the hot hatch launches sometime in 2013, it will arrive in the buyer's choice of seven colors: Green Envy Metallic, Molten Orange Metallic, Ingot Silver Metallic, Oxford White, Performance Blue, Race Red or Tuxedo Black Metallic.

Given that Ford debuted the Fiesta ST in concept form at the Los Angeles Auto Show last year, we'd be surprised if the production model didn't surface in the City of Angels later this month. No word yet on pricing or availability, but logic suggests it will need to come in well under the reasonably priced Focus ST, which starts at $23,700.

Tip: Top tip, Alan!
Image Credit: KGP Photography
Category: Performance, Hatchback, Ford
Tags: 2014 ford fiesta st, breaking, ecoboost, fiesta, fiesta st, ford

Old 11-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Nah, if I wanted a turbo hatch I would have just got a MS3, and had more power.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
MS3 is nice just the gas mileage is a killer. I actually like the looks of the first generation MS3. The Focus ST is rated 23 city 32 highway I figure the Fiesta should be higher.

Last edited by cjecpa; 11-17-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:26 PM
I will say if they keep the price down it is an attractive option as a cheap hot hatch. Weight is low too. It is a step in the right direction for the enthusiast camp, so I do applaud the effort Ford has made with this car.

Price will be key here.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
I hope it sells well maybe with the FIT production moving to Mexico in 2014 and different versions such as a sedan and CUV maybe we will see a Fit SI.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Much rather trade the Fit for the hatch Sti's instead

Old 11-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Not with the current info coming out on how Ford reliability has dropped. I'd stay away just for that reason.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
I would gladly trade my Fit in for that, however I'm trying to get out of all non-student related debt.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
I usually look at cars that are comparable to my Fit. The Fiesta ST will probably be as closest performance car to the Fit on price and being a hatchback. I think a lot of the problems with Ford's reliability has to do with all the new models it has released over the pass two years.

I am waiting for the 2014 Fit redesign by what I have been reading that the new design will hit the USA next year prior to the Mexico plant going online so it seems that the earlier models will be built in Japan during 2013.

Last edited by cjecpa; 11-17-2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Old 11-17-2012, 10:43 PM
5 Year Member
Isn't there any chance of getting that mill in the engine bay of a Mazda 2? Despite the mechanical similarities between them I really prefer the 2 instead of the Fiesta.

The Fiesta just doesn't do it for me.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
I am surprise that Mazda does not offer the Mazda2 speed but I read that the next generation of the Mazda2 may even skip over the USA due to lackluster sales. I am surprise high gas prices and car company's still can not sell small cars here. Which is surprising that Honda plans on sales of the Fit to triple in the USA by 2016.

This below is one reason I have stop doing any mods to my Fit is if the next generation offers more and if the initial production for 2014 model comes from Japan.

Big words about a small car? Very rarely in America, but Honda is confident that its next-generation Fit (Jazz in Europe and Asia) will account for 10 percent of their North American car sales by 2016.

Honda President Takanobu Ito told Autonews that the upcoming new factory in Mexico will build about 200,000 Fits a year, including variants such as sedans and crossovers. In 2011, the Fit only managed 65,000 deliveries, all coming from Japan. These results are three times lower than what the envision for the next car.

We look at the Fit as a very humble sort of car, with it $15,325 base price and minivan shape. But from what we gather, the next one will be a sort of revolution in the B-car segment for Honda, who believe it will outsell popular cars like the Accord or Civic.

Last edited by cjecpa; 11-18-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:54 AM
I will give it strong consideration but I love my Fit.I'm actually a long time Ford guy and have owned several Mustangs and a Contour.

I like the Fiesta better than the Focus ST and took a look at both at the Auto show.I sold my 2011 Mustang 5.0 last year and picked up the Fit :)

I will wait for the Dart SRT 4 to arrive before I make a move.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:26 PM
5 Year Member
I would not trade in a perfectly good Fit so hastily, but I think the Fiesta ST is cool. That'll be a bit more fun than the ST, but it won't feel quite as controlled - the rear suspension is more comparable to a Fit while the Focus (and Mazda3, and Mazda5, and Cmax, and Escape)gets a good trailing arm design.

The engine won't be shared with Mazda. The companies have greatly scaled back their collaboration as the ownership tie is no longer there. That is why Mazda still uses the trailing arm design in the Mazda3 and 5, but they had to design their own compact SUV instead of using the Escape :P

I haven't heard any statements to the effect that the ST will come here, though. May be Euro only. Like the Focus ST Estate ... which is awesome ..

Old 11-18-2012, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
If does come to the USA usually Ford will list on their site early to build your own. in the meantime the next generation Fit will be rated at 127hp and 112lb of torque. Honda already has been previewing the engine. 2015 Honda Fit: Powertrain Preview Drive

Old 11-19-2012, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member
anybody has a pic of the 2015 fit body

Last edited by phenoyz; 11-19-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
I wish I have been looking but I think it would be shown at a auto show in March of 2013 since that it is suppose to be released next year.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
That isn't really a meaningful increase for the Fit. Torque goes up by what, 6lb-ft? 5% increase? I mean I'd like it -that's $1500 worth of mods to get to that point with the current engine, after which the ECU takes most of it back - but mostly that's just staying within the acceptable range for compact buyers.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:07 PM
for that fiesta... NO

for an abarth... YES

Old 11-19-2012, 03:55 PM
5 Year Member
The Abarth is a nice looking car. The only problem I would have is I remember when Fiat was originally in the USA before pulling out of the market. The reliability was a major issue (Fix it again Tony) but that was back then it seems that reliability has improved at all manufacturers to above those levels. (Of course Ford was "Fix or Repair Daily" I would not have a problem buying A Ford product today.)

Quick Reply: Would you trade in your Fit to buy this?