Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Trend in the couple of different concepts engine in the wheels

Old 04-26-2013, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Trend in the couple of different concepts engine in the wheels

Features two in-wheel electric motors

Ford and Schaeffler have teamed up to produce a Fiesta eWheelDrive prototype.
Designed to explore the potential of in-wheel electric motors, the prototype features two rear hubs that combine the motor, braking and cooling systems into a single unit. The compact design frees up space that normally would have been used by the car's engine and transmission. According to Ford, the technology could eventually allow the company to create a "four-person car that only occupies the space of a two-person car today."
Detailed performance specifications haven't been released, but motors apparently produce a combined output of 110 HP (81 kW) and 700 Nm (516 lb-ft) of torque.
According to Ford’s director of Research and Advanced Engineering in Europe, Pim van der Jagt, “This is an exciting project to work on with Schaeffler because it potentially opens new options for the development of zero emission vehicles with very efficient packaging and exceptional maneuverability." Speaking of the latter, Ford says the system to eventually enable drivers to move sideways into parking spaces.

Toyota has taken the wraps off a new concept called ME.WE which was co-developed with French architect, inventor and designer Jean-Marie Massaud.
Massaud describes the concept as an "anti-crisis" vehicle targeted at "contemporary human, economic and environmental challenges." ME.WE is 3440mm long, 1750mm wide and 1600mm tall, with a curb weight of just 750 kg (1,653 lbs).
It has a tubular aluminum chassis and polypropylene panels, with four electric in-wheel motors borrowed from the i-ROAD concept and the battery pack located under the floor. Thanks to the in-wheel motor configuration, ME.WE can work in either two- or four-wheel drive modes.
Toyota says they used bamboo for the floor's construction and the horizontal surfaces of the cabin, while the rear bench seat has been mounted on the roof rails and can be folded beneath the front seat when not in use. It can also be removed or used as picnic seating.

Last edited by cjecpa; 04-26-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:15 PM
5 Year Member
It's a good idea. Been in the pipeline for years, though. I never got it until I started tinkering with electronics myself. At some point you are actually pushing the envelope ie it really is tough to design a system that fits. If they can make this work, i'd be a huge improvement - getting to the "skateboard" chassis design that can wear multiple body shells would reduce design costs and bring the EV cost way down (since the batteries themselves are expensive)