Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Jumping Ship

Old 08-18-2006, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
Jumping Ship

To all, I am leaving. Today, I put a deposit on a 2007 Aurora Blue 5dr Mazda 3s Touring with a 5MT, black cloth seats, and the moonroof/in-dash 6CD player. I also got wheel locks and the rear bumper step plates. The dealer will order it and have it ready for me when I return to the U.S this December. We did the deal via email, and I called him today to give him my CC info for the deposit. There wasn't much haggling required, because the owner is a personal friend of my brother, and my family are repeat buyers. His initial offer was $100.00 over invoice. I thanked them and took the deal.

I was being eaten alive by the lack of availability of the Fit Sport MTs, I also am a lot surprised by a lot of the problems some of you seem to be having. The paint problems and poor gas mileage reported by way too many were the final nails in the virtually unattainable Fit's coffin.

So, this December, I will waltz into the dealer, plunk down around $20k of hard borrowed cash and drive out in my new car. Besides the moonroof, it will also have rear discs, 17 inch wheels, a center console, a dead pedal, height adjustable driver's with adjustable lumbar support, tilt-telescoping steering wheel, and a locking fuel filler door. I will also be getting about 50 more horsies under the hood.

All is not sunshine and roses in the land of Mazda though. The car will be bigger, and therefore probably not as much fun to flick around, it will eat more gas, and the biggie: No magic seats. Oh well, life is a compromise.

Good luck to all of you. To those of you that already have your Fits, enjoy. To those of you still waiting, I hope you get them soon. Many happy and safe miles to all of you. Finally, to all you S2000 drivers out there, My bike would still kick your ass. Hah!:D

Old 08-18-2006, 09:45 AM
Four Wheels Enthusiast
5 Year Member
so sad to see you go, but if you must... you must! you could of atleast gone for a civic though :D

Old 08-18-2006, 10:32 AM
sam
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by BKKJack
the owner is a personal friend of my brother, and my family are repeat buyers.
It would be hard to pass up knowing you'll get excellent service from someone who has a broader interest in your satisfaction. Sounds like an excellent decision- especially given that you're able to finalize from overseas.

Hope you find an excellent discussion group to go with the new car. Best wishes,

Old 08-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by BKKJack
To all, I am leaving. Today, I put a deposit on a 2007 Aurora Blue 5dr Mazda 3s Touring with a 5MT, black cloth seats, and the moonroof/in-dash 6CD player. I also got wheel locks and the rear bumper step plates. The dealer will order it and have it ready for me when I return to the U.S this December. We did the deal via email, and I called him today to give him my CC info for the deposit. There wasn't much haggling required, because the owner is a personal friend of my brother, and my family are repeat buyers. His initial offer was $100.00 over invoice. I thanked them and took the deal.

I was being eaten alive by the lack of availability of the Fit Sport MTs, I also am a lot surprised by a lot of the problems some of you seem to be having. The paint problems and poor gas mileage reported by way too many were the final nails in the virtually unattainable Fit's coffin.

So, this December, I will waltz into the dealer, plunk down around $20k of hard borrowed cash and drive out in my new car. Besides the moonroof, it will also have rear discs, 17 inch wheels, a center console, a dead pedal, height adjustable driver's with adjustable lumbar support, tilt-telescoping steering wheel, and a locking fuel filler door. I will also be getting about 50 more horsies under the hood.

All is not sunshine and roses in the land of Mazda though. The car will be bigger, and therefore probably not as much fun to flick around, it will eat more gas, and the biggie: No magic seats. Oh well, life is a compromise.

Good luck to all of you. To those of you that already have your Fits, enjoy. To those of you still waiting, I hope you get them soon. Many happy and safe miles to all of you. Finally, to all you S2000 drivers out there, My bike would still kick your ass. Hah!:D
Don't blame you. I came extremely close to getting a Mazda 3S. As it is, I have a Civic SI on order. The Fit will be primarily my wifes car. You think that Fit is hard to get, I have been waiting for almost 3 months for the SI. I finally got a VIN 2 days ago and a dealer delivery date of 8/28/06 - 9/01/06.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:03 AM
5 Year Member
Where is the Mazda3 made? I mean for the US market. What's the first letter/number in the VIN?

Old 08-18-2006, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Mazda3 is apparently made in Hofu, Japan.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:23 PM
5 Year Member
The mazda 3 is definitively a great, fun to drive car ( and a really peppy one too) I hope you'll enjoy it as much as we are enjoying the fit.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:00 PM
I dig the 3S shooting break. Very nice looking car. I'd consider trading my car in on that instead of the Fit, but I think the difference in economy and price (monthly payment) wouldn't be enough to justify it for me.

I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice!

Old 08-18-2006, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sLiVeRwOrM
so sad to see you go, but if you must... you must! you could of atleast gone for a civic though :D
No hatch in the US!

Old 08-18-2006, 11:08 PM
5 Year Member
I Have a 97 mazda 626, and Recently a 91 MX6.
I really like/liked both cars.

Sorry you aren't patient. i love my Honda.
I ave 35MPG. You wont get that in your Mazda
Plus the Mazda is not in the same class. It is not a B segment car. Apples and oranges.

Good luck

Last edited by coldstorage5; 08-18-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Someone that Posts too much
New Civics and moreso the Fit are scarce. Fit's at MSRP and Civics $400 off (most i can get from shopping around). Yeah..... Can't blame you bud! But hey! IMHO, you're getting a great car for the money in the 3 5dr, just don't trade it in anytime soon after you drive it off the lot HEHE. Want pics of the Mazda when you get it.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Someone that Posts too much
As good as the Fit is, i'm starting to miss my Oddy in so many ways.

I might be leaving soon myself, already had the Fit appraised (great #'$ BTW).

Old 08-20-2006, 12:42 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GoFit
New Civics and moreso the Fit are scarce. Fit's at MSRP and Civics $400 off (most i can get from shopping around). Yeah..... Can't blame you bud! But hey! IMHO, you're getting a great car for the money in the 3 5dr, just don't trade it in anytime soon after you drive it off the lot HEHE. Want pics of the Mazda when you get it.
I definitely plan to keep this one for a long time. Resale value and gas mileage, although important, are not my main decision criteria. I have never viewed a car as an investment, but rather a purchase. That is probably because I have never had enough money to afford any car that might appreciate in value. I am usually able to get better than EPA numbers on my cars, too. I am really looking forward to getting it. After having driven/ridden on the left (wrong) side of the road for the last six years, I am probably going to be really nervous driving it off the lot. If you can wait until December, I will be happy to post pics.

I am surprised by the lack of Mazda-hating in these responses. There is no shortage of anti-Honda people on the Mazda forum I joined. Are Honda people more enlightened, or are Mazda people more threatened? Eventhough I won't be getting a Fit, I will still be riding the NC-30 as much as possible, so I won't be Hondaless! It's getting a new paint scheme while I am out of town. As soon as I get back, I will post a picture of it.

Cheers, and best of luck to all.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:04 PM
No car appreciates in value... all cars depreciate... and you will have a hard time keeping your cost of ownership near or below 30 cents a mile.

I chose the Fit on instinct... it will serve my transportation purposes fine and has space to hold everything that i own. By the time I was to customize it, there will plenty of options...

$

Old 08-26-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by GoFit
As good as the Fit is, i'm starting to miss my Oddy in so many ways.

I might be leaving soon myself, already had the Fit appraised (great #'$ BTW).
Okay, let me get this straight. I have a Fit, it is a great car. But IN MY OPINION it does not live up to the hype. Number one, gas mileage is not nearly what I thought I would get when I purchased it. Number two, paint problems between the bumper and fender. I knew this was not a "race" car when I purchased it, but I did expect much better gas mileage. I just had a Civic SI delivered (which is mine, the Fit is my wifes). Obviously there is no comparison performance wise. I am waiting so see the gas mileage difference. Then I will report back. Yavoll Claymore, ok????

Old 08-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by hiroko12
Okay, let me get this straight. I have a Fit, it is a great car. But IN MY OPINION it does not live up to the hype. Number one, gas mileage is not nearly what I thought I would get when I purchased it.
Ok. I know that's you're opinion and you are perfectly justified having it.

However, what type of gas mileage DID you expect? EPA says 31/37 and that's exactly what I'm getting...are you getting less? Or did you expect to beat EPA?

As for the hype, I don't know - I never heard of the Fit hype until I test drove it...and it was the best of its competition for what I needed - hype or no hype. After 3500 miles, I still feel the same way.

Old 08-26-2006, 09:54 PM
I'm about to jump ship as well for a Mazda 3i Touring 5MT. It's true they're not in the same class. But in reality haggling with the dealer, the price will be about the same. The 2007 models are already coming in, the 2006 should be on clearance soon.

You also can't get EPA mileage out of them usually, the paint is on the thin side too (as all Mazdas), the A/C is kinda weak. The real difference for me? The Mazda3 is in stock.

Old 08-30-2006, 07:48 PM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
I considered the Mazda 3i as well, but couldn't plunk down the cash for the 5-door, plus the MPG were harder to swallow. I still think it's a superb car, even if it's in a different category than the Fit. Enjoy, and stop by from time to time!

Old 09-12-2006, 03:42 PM
5 Year Member
I happen to own both cars mentioned here. My car is a 05 Mazda3 HB MT with all the package options (HIDs,ABS,Navi,Lether etc...) and we just got a Fit Sport MT for the wife. Both cars are great as long as you understand who each is geared for. The Mazda3 wins hands down in the power/handling dept, (especially with the full MazdaSpeed exhaust,suspension,intake and RX-8 wheels with Toyo Proxes4 tires installed), but its fuel mileage will not stand up to the Fit, (I get anywhere from 19mpg to 30mpg depending on how I drive it.)
The Fit for its part will fill the role of wife/new baby transport well as we needed a economical/reliable car to repl her 00 Civic HB which was only a 2 door. The Fit can swallow alot of baby gear and keep my wife and child safe with its multitude of airbags,abs and ebd...
While the Fit may not be the best long distance vehicle thats not a issue as the Mazda3 is the car we use to go out/trips in.
In the end I appreciate both cars for the roles they play in my family life and can recommend either one to a prospective new car buyer depending on their needs....

Old 09-12-2006, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
you shoulda held out for the Mazdaspeed 3!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jumping Ship