Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Versa?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Versa?

So, weeks after deciding on a Fit, I'm starting to wonder if I'd be happier with a Versa. I've driven both and like the ride, look, and feel of the Versa better. But I like the Honda reputation and Fit's mileage & cargo space better. So here's what I need from you guys: convince me why the Fit is a better choice.;)

Actually, let me know you opinions either way. What do you think of Nissan? What factors might I not be considering that could sway my decision either way? Thanks much!

-Cameron

Old 09-01-2006, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Its a rebadge renault, and we all know how reliable they are...
Plus you'll be limited in performance parts for it. unlike the fit
that has plenty of parts on the way, and a proven track record
world wide.

Old 09-01-2006, 06:24 PM
True that the Fit has a track record, but honestly I don't care about performance parts, I'm not much of a "modder". And as I understand it, Nissans aren't actually built by Renault, right?

Old 09-02-2006, 12:15 AM
5 Year Member
The Versa is built in Mexico. Do you care more about how the car looks or how the car performs? The Versa is more "upscale" and the Fit is more sporty. Mini-Cooper like is how some people describe it.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:48 AM
Looks are definitely last on the list, but as I said, I like the feel and the ride of the Versa better too. For me, a car that's comfortable and smooth is more fun to drive than a car that's powerful and peppy.

Old 09-02-2006, 03:29 AM
actually its a toss-up between fit and versa. overall, fit is slightly ahead of versa. because of that, its a matter of preference now on the buyer. you can't go wrong with any of the two.

Old 09-02-2006, 04:38 PM
I recently bought a Versa and my wife has owned her Fit for several months now, so I'm probably a pretty good person to comment on the comparison between the two cars.

Even though they're in the same class, they're really very different cars.

Here are the areas where I feel the Versa is superior:

1) Comfort: From a passenger space perspective the Versa is much better than the Fit, especially in the back seat. The seats are also much more comfortable. While riding in the Fit for long periods of time, my wife and I both find ourselves adjusting our position semi-regularly. In the Versa, the seats are so comfortable you rarely ever feel the need to move or adjust your weight.

2) Ride refinement: The Versa with CVT is much quieter and smoother to drive than the Fit. This cannot be argued. It feels like a bigger car in that sense. If you're into more of a Sporty ride, you'll probably prefer the Fit.

The Versa to me is the ULTIMATE commuter car.

Here are the areas where I feel the Fit is superior:

1) Versatility: I think if you're looking for a better all-around car. Something that can carry people, cargo and a combination of the two under a variety of circumstances... that the Fit is a better choice. You can do so much with that little car.

2) Fuel Economy: My wife has been averaging ~32-33 MPG and she drives her Fit quite hard. I think that's quite good. It's also a lighter car than the Versa, with a smaller engine.

3) Reliability: I'm just basing this on my experience with Honda since that's all I ever owned prior to the Versa. I'm not overly concerned with Nissan given the fact that they're a Japanese auto manufacturer and plenty of cars are being built in Mexico these days. I would just say that Honda is probably the safer bet in this respect.

I don't think you can go wrong with either car, but my wife and I are tickled with both of them. We're quite glad that we have these cars in our driveway because they are significantly different and offer different advantages. The Versa will be my daily commuter and the car we'll take on longer road trips (due to the increased comfort) and the Fit will be her errand hopper (she's a homemaker currently) and our "Jack of all trades" car.

Good luck with your choice!

Old 09-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Just FYI the Versa/Tida isnt a Renult, the Megan is built on the "c" platform and the Versa on the "B", I had to look into that my self when shopping for a driver.. After my Peguoet 205 I will never owne a French built car again.

Old 09-03-2006, 08:55 PM
I've decided to go with the Versa. Thanks y'all for your input. I think either car would make me happy but the Versa has a bit more of what I'm looking for. I'll let you know how it goes!

Old 09-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Someone that Posts too much
Originally Posted by campersand
I've decided to go with the Versa. Thanks y'all for your input. I think either car would make me happy but the Versa has a bit more of what I'm looking for. I'll let you know how it goes!
Don't forget pictures!!

Old 09-04-2006, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by kgb4187
The Versa is built in Mexico. Do you care more about how the car looks or how the car performs? The Versa is more "upscale" and the Fit is more sporty. Mini-Cooper like is how some people describe it.
and the plant in mexico which builds the versa has a pretty bad track record of producing problematic sentras...

Old 09-05-2006, 09:47 AM
what about reliability??

Old 09-05-2006, 12:26 PM
What about it?

Old 09-05-2006, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jim2CPU
I don't think you can go wrong with either car, but my wife and I are tickled with both of them. We're quite glad that we have these cars in our driveway because they are significantly different and offer different advantages. The Versa will be my daily commuter and the car we'll take on longer road trips (due to the increased comfort) and the Fit will be her errand hopper (she's a homemaker currently) and our "Jack of all trades" car.

Good luck with your choice!
Hi Jim, not sure if you'll read this, but what kind of mileage are you getting on your Versa?

Old 09-05-2006, 04:32 PM
I think the Versa is actually based on the Renault Clio, not the Megane

Old 09-05-2006, 10:22 PM
I've only filled the tank once thus far. On the first tank (the dealer tank), I registered 31.5 MPG with an approximate 60/40 split of highway and city driving.

I'm not really worried about the mileage. I'm saving ~230/month on car payments with the Versa (compared to what I used to spend on my loaded Accord), so gas mileage doesn't really concern me. As long as I get around the 27-28 MPG I averaged in my Accord, it's all good.

Originally Posted by crimsona
Hi Jim, not sure if you'll read this, but what kind of mileage are you getting on your Versa?

Old 09-18-2006, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks JIM2CPU

Thanks, JIM2CPU, for a comparison between the Fit and the Versa. My wife and I are torn between the two right now, and even though we already have a desposit (refundable) on a Fit, the battle is still on between the two vehicles. Your review, coming from a Fit-Versa household, is one of the most valuable I have seen anywhere.

I have test-driven both the Fit and Versa and agree with you in just about everything. I believe that, if the comfort is the critical need, the Versa wins. If the versatility is tops, then the Fit wins. But here is one problem for my wife and me.

This will be my wife's car, and she drives a lot for work. A 150-mile day is not uncommon, and she does a lot of that driving city. Because she drives a lot, comfort is something that I would like her to have. But on the same token, her driving a lot makes a good MPG an important criterion.

How have you been doing with the Versa's MPG since your last post?

I would appreciate your input on this matter. Thanks again for your helpful review.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
Versa was my second choice (versa usually ranks #2 when fit ranks #1). The biggest turnoff for the versa was it was made in mexico, the price was higher (when you add features that fit has standard) than i expected, and the ugly ugly radio!!!

i think the biggest reason is i have a civic already, and it doesn't seem like the versa would add much to what I already have, so it'd be like buying a newer version of a car i already hve. i thik if i were an SUV owner transitioning to a smaller car, this wouldn'tve been a big deal.

Old 09-19-2006, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by Gordio
the price was higher (when you add features that fit has standard)
I don't know about that, what features are you basing this on? Spec'ing out a Versa on the Nissan website, I'm pretty sure you can get pretty much everything that a Fit Sport has and the price comes to about $400 less.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:08 AM
and....

Originally Posted by campersand
I don't know about that, what features are you basing this on? Spec'ing out a Versa on the Nissan website, I'm pretty sure you can get pretty much everything that a Fit Sport has and the price comes to about $400 less.
but... after all it IS a Nissan :confused:

Quick Reply: Versa?