Other Car Related Discussions Discuss all other cars here.

Runner Up to the Fit: Other small cars with clever space

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 09:40 AM
5 Year Member
I think you will see a substantial reduction in resale value for cars without some new technology, once things like a back-up camera are mandated by law (2018, I think). Any used car without one will take a serious hit, just like cars without air bags did (who would want a car without an airbag? I don't even want a car with airbags, if they are older than 10 years).

This year we purchased two cars. My Wife got a new 2014 Mazda CX-5, and my Daughter decided on the new 2015 Fit. They both have the rear-view camera, and some sort of lane watch system. We sold a 2008 Honda Fit, not because we didn't like it, but because it had no rear view camera, and we wanted to recapture as much of the value as we could, while we could. The fact my daughter had a hard time with the 5-speed, played a role as well.

We are still left with our 2007 Honda Odyssey (with no rear view camera), but because this is the automobile we have taught our children to drive in (my son is next), there is something nice about having an automobile that has enough dings and dents already, that you don't freak out if the kids make more. We also use this to take our trash to the dump, so in a sense, it is our pickup truck as well.

Last edited by Vanguard; 10-17-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:22 AM
I dont think a dumb thing like a rear-cam will hurt resale value.

If resale-value is decreased from something you shouldnt ever rely on, the economy is going even further into shit.

Old 10-17-2014, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
I dont think a dumb thing like a rear-cam will hurt resale value.

If resale-value is decreased from something you shouldnt ever rely on, the economy is going even further into shit.
People have a tendency to want the latest and greatest. Try and sell a computer without the latest video card, or processor. You don't need those things to check email or post on this Fit Forum, but people won't pay much for an old pentium pro processor based computer anymore.

When people see nothing but car commercials with push button start, rear-view camera's, and lane watch systems, the car without these things is going to lose value in the marketplace. It may be a sad statement on society, but it is the world we live in.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Having a lot of bells and whistles might make the car a bit more salable in the end, but *only* if they are all working.

An EX with a malfunctioning lanewatch camera or flaky pushbutton start would be less salable than an LX without those features at all.

Considering that many of the problems that people are having with new Fits are related to the Display Audio system and Lanewatch, along with pushbutton start, I'm not of the mind to become an early adopter.

Old 10-18-2014, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Having a lot of bells and whistles might make the car a bit more salable in the end, but *only* if they are all working.

An EX with a malfunctioning lanewatch camera or flaky pushbutton start would be less salable than an LX without those features at all.

Considering that many of the problems that people are having with new Fits are related to the Display Audio system and Lanewatch, along with pushbutton start, I'm not of the mind to become an early adopter.
Given your example, between the LX and EX, I would agree with you. However, I would still feel much better with the current LX, than my previous 2008 Base, when it comes to future resale value.

I'm not sure the lane watch or push button start will be mandated by law anytime soon (although I could be wrong), but the rear-view camera will be.

Old 10-18-2014, 06:22 PM
I have mostly bought old used cars in the past (all I could afford) and after a certain age, I want basics. Lots of fancy bells and whistles are nice while they are working, but much of that stuff is the first to fail. If it isn't an important bit (my seat heater stopped working years ago and it made no difference) it doesn't matter. On the other hand, if some electrical ghost is drawing phantom power or shorting out other systems it can be a hassle. On a new car with warranty, sure, it is all great. After 8 years, I want manual everything that is easy to fix.

They might legislate back-up cameras (though I really don't know why), but I doubt very much they will make that legislation retroactive to vehicles already on the road.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Canoehead
I have mostly bought old used cars in the past (all I could afford) and after a certain age, I want basics. Lots of fancy bells and whistles are nice while they are working, but much of that stuff is the first to fail. If it isn't an important bit (my seat heater stopped working years ago and it made no difference) it doesn't matter. On the other hand, if some electrical ghost is drawing phantom power or shorting out other systems it can be a hassle. On a new car with warranty, sure, it is all great. After 8 years, I want manual everything that is easy to fix.

They might legislate back-up cameras (though I really don't know why), but I doubt very much they will make that legislation retroactive to vehicles already on the road.
I think the back up camera is something the insurance company's pursued. As for retroactive legislation, no, that won't happen. I also like the simplicity of basic. Having said that, we maintain anywhere from 2-4 cars at any given time, and just as we don't want them all grouped into one model year, we also try and maintain an upward trend in technology.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
Interesting, useful thread. Even I was looking at alternatives, just to be sure this is the best or if there is anything better.

I found the Subaru Impreza hatchback pretty interesting. It has more trunk space with seats up and almost the same with the seats folded. Also considering, I live in the Northeast hilly region where an All wheel drive is useful (though making slightly more expensive), besides the fact Subaru is supposed to be safer and has similar brand value as Honda (i am really interested in EyeSight technology as a backup safety feature but unfortunately only the Limted edition has it).

As for the new tech, I too would prefer the LX model for its higher mileage, lower costs and Buttons (instead of the touch screen - when touch screen phones dont last for 5 years, i am not sure how car touchscreens going to last 10+ years)

Old 10-21-2014, 05:09 PM
The only thing I have ever seen mandated retroactively was EGR valves in California at the beginning of smog controls. That only lasted a year before they figured out that it was a Bad Idea as the fly-by-night aftermarket created a nightmare of shoddy retrofits.

If you buy a car now you can be fairly confident that its standard equipment will be enough to keep it legal for its entire life.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cyclist007
Interesting, useful thread. Even I was looking at alternatives, just to be sure this is the best or if there is anything better.

I found the Subaru Impreza hatchback pretty interesting. It has more trunk space with seats up and almost the same with the seats folded. Also considering, I live in the Northeast hilly region where an All wheel drive is useful (though making slightly more expensive), besides the fact Subaru is supposed to be safer and has similar brand value as Honda (i am really interested in EyeSight technology as a backup safety feature but unfortunately only the Limted edition has it).

As for the new tech, I too would prefer the LX model for its higher mileage, lower costs and Buttons (instead of the touch screen - when touch screen phones dont last for 5 years, i am not sure how car touchscreens going to last 10+ years)
Regarding the Subaru Impreza.... I have a 2003. I absolutely love love love that car. It might have comparable cargo space but it cannot hold a candle to the cabin space for passengers in the back seat when compared to the Fit. If you don't need the rear seat room then it is an excellent alternative IMO. I'd keep mine or get a new one if it weren't for a growing family.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:06 PM

Amen to that. The old adage "KISS" (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID) absolutely applies to cars. I seriously doubt that today's cars will last as long as cars from decades ago. The irony is that today's cars are much more reliable mechanically; engines and transmissions are built better than ever before. But there are so many electronic gizmos that when one of them go out, it can render a car useless. Look at many touchscreens in some cars for example, when one of them freezes, the radio or ventilation can't be adjusted until the system gets refreshed, or even replaced. The whole Ford MyTouch had this issue

The toys are great to have on a brand new car, but can't be trusted years later. Give me manual windows, door locks, and real buttons anyday.

Back on subject for this thread, probably the only other small car that matches the Fit for space is the similar looking Versa Note. The back seat in that car is massive and the trunk is immense too. However, that rear seat doesn't fold completely flat and can be an issue if loading heavy items. The Note doesn't come close to the Fit's magic seat flexibility, and also feels very cheap inside.

The Hyundai Accent and Mitsubishi Mirage deserve an honorable mention as well. The Accent's trunk is huge too and the front seat space too shames the Fit's. Engine performance was strong, it felt very solid and upscale inside, and the rear seat wasn't bad either. However, handling has never been a Hyundai strong suit, the rear visibility is an embarrassment compared to the Fit, and why, oh why, does Hyundai neglect to put a spare tire in its small cars? The Accent was tied for second with the Fiesta as my choice behind the Fit

For its tiny size, the Mirage has an impressive amount of space. The flat-as-Kansas back bench seat is surprisingly comfy and front seats were spacious. I had the pleasure of renting one 800 miles and it really wasn't nearly as bad as the reviews say. It was a fuel efficient, affordable, and very solid small car that felt well built. Was it perfect? No. But it would be an easy car to live with

Old 01-15-2015, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
My suggestion would be a 2nd hand fit over the Mirage. Being I'm in Canada too, I honestly don't know how long Mitsu will be sold here.

How many dealerships do they have? How many does Honda.
If they do close, u know how much parts will be for the Mirage in the future.
Both cars are in 2 different categories, but since it seems ur a numbers guy....save a bit locate a used 2009-2013 fit and u'll be happy.

One thing specs can't tell you.....is how does it drive.
You MUST take the cars out for a drive and get a feeling if you like it or not.
For me the fit took out the mazda 3 hatch - why....ride, resale value, not many on the road (I like that), ease of drive, storage capabilities, dealership network. It did everything I needed, and thus far has surpassed what I can do in a car. Its really 2 cars in one - mini pickup, and family hauler.

Just my 2 cents but u must look long term and u must drive them for the feeling- don't go by numbers on paper alone

Old 01-17-2015, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
I had a fully loaded (leather, nav, sunroof, etc) 2014 Chevy Sonic Hatch as a rental car for a week about a year ago and I really liked it. I was on a business trip in San Fran and when I got back home and got into my GD at the airport, I decided I really wanted a new car. It had ALMOST as much space as my GD did, but the backseats didn't fold down completely flat. The build quality was decent and the engine has a nice growly note to it. I seriously considered it but I couldn't leave the Fit family.

Also note one reason I really considered the Sonic was because I get a pretty good discount through GM from my job. No Honda discount though :(

Old 01-19-2015, 10:07 AM
5 Year Member
When the Mirage first came out, it was panned by almost everyone. One dealer with a sense of humor wrote an article that said the Mirage would outrun zombies, so it was a good car to have in case of a zopmbie attack. :D Motorweek did a test of the Mirage, and they were surprised to find that it was a nice little car for the city. I think the Mirage & the Mazda 2 are the two most "bare bones" cars you can buy, but both would be good as a "go to work car" in city driving. Just not as good as a Fit. :)

Old 01-19-2015, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by siguy
When the Mirage first came out, it was panned by almost everyone. One dealer with a sense of humor wrote an article that said the Mirage would outrun zombies, so it was a good car to have in case of a zopmbie attack. :D Motorweek did a test of the Mirage, and they were surprised to find that it was a nice little car for the city. I think the Mirage & the Mazda 2 are the two most "bare bones" cars you can buy, but both would be good as a "go to work car" in city driving. Just not as good as a Fit. :)
Agreed. The Fit is a more refined car than the Mirage in many ways, and the $2k or so that the Fit costs more than the Mitsu is still good value.

For what it is, the Mirage is an impressive little car. It's not perfect, but then again, it's all about keeping things in perspective. It's easy to make fun of it for the three-cylinder or the 90's styling. However, it's just an honest to goodness little car that does its job at being basic transportation much better than its predesesors (i.e. Geo Metro, Subaru Justy, Daihatsu Charade. etc.). With power windows, door locks, automatic climate control, airbags, ABS, and AUX for the base $12990 price, it's also a good value. I was pleasantly surprised by how good this car was and how roomy it was; much better than a larger Fiesta or Mazda 2. It does lack the refinement of a Fit and the marshmellow steering feedback could use some improvement, but all in all, it would be an easy (and dare I say enjoyable) car to own in the city

Old 01-19-2015, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by andre181
I had a fully loaded (leather, nav, sunroof, etc) 2014 Chevy Sonic Hatch as a rental car for a week about a year ago and I really liked it. I was on a business trip in San Fran and when I got back home and got into my GD at the airport, I decided I really wanted a new car. It had ALMOST as much space as my GD did, but the backseats didn't fold down completely flat. The build quality was decent and the engine has a nice growly note to it. I seriously considered it but I couldn't leave the Fit family.

Also note one reason I really considered the Sonic was because I get a pretty good discount through GM from my job. No Honda discount though :(
The Sonic is the first small car that GM has put a decent effort into. Each time I have rented one (which they are always on the rental lot), I've come away equally impressed as well. Decent room, fun handling, a solid feel, and that growly engine are Sonic strong points. Heck, I even like the offbeat motorcycle-inspired instrument panel and the outside styling. All-in-all, one of the best subcompacts out there.

However, as much as I liked it while looking at buying my Fit, I couldn't come to terms with buying a Chevy. My husband's Aveo has turned out to be a solid little car, but my family has been burned too many times by GM in the past. If the Sonic had a solid reliability rating (it's average on Consumer Reports), then maybe. But when it comes time to plunk down our hard-earned money, it just seemed too risky.

Too bad, it's a great little car and there's no reason to feel bad for anyone who bought one. Hopefully they will keep it equally competitive for the next generation and not let it fade away (as GM has often done in the past as well)

Old 05-06-2015, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by festiboi
Amen to that. The old adage "KISS" (KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID) absolutely applies to cars. I seriously doubt that today's cars will last as long as cars from decades ago. The irony is that today's cars are much more reliable mechanically; engines and transmissions are built better than ever before. But there are so many electronic gizmos that when one of them go out, it can render a car useless...

Back on subject for this thread, probably the only other small car that matches the Fit for space is the similar looking Nissan Versa Note. The back seat in that car is massive and the trunk is immense too. However, that rear seat doesn't fold completely flat and can be an issue if loading heavy items. The Note doesn't come close to the Fit's magic seat flexibility, and also feels very cheap inside.

The Hyundai Accent and Mitsubishi Mirage deserve an honorable mention as well. The Accent's trunk is huge too and the front seat space too shames the Fit's. Engine performance was strong, it felt very solid and upscale inside, and the rear seat wasn't bad either. However, handling has never been a Hyundai strong suit, the rear visibility is an embarrassment compared to the Fit, and why, oh why, does Hyundai neglect to put a spare tire in its small cars? The Accent was tied for second with the Fiesta as my choice behind the Fit

For its tiny size, the Mirage has an impressive amount of space. The flat-as-Kansas back bench seat is surprisingly comfy and front seats were spacious. I had the pleasure of renting one 800 miles and it really wasn't nearly as bad as the reviews say. It was a fuel efficient, affordable, and very solid small car that felt well built. Was it perfect? No. But it would be an easy car to live with
I do worry about car electronic tech and feel it is prone to fail. This is true for home appliances as well. Simpler is better, but these days it is difficult to find a car that is that simple.

We have been renting a car for the last 8 months and I've driven all the above cars for at least a weekend.

Nissan Versa Note: Second best car to my impression of the Fit. Good on gas, has enough power, but steering and maneuverability is lacking. As stated fold down rear seats do not give you a flat surface. 2015 has a rear view camera.

Hyundai Accent/Kia Rio: Nice cars, the Accent has really good gas mileage, but no rear view camera and a terribly small rear view window. With such bad rear view visibility the wife won't even consider buying it.

Mitsubishi Mirage: The best on gas, but really, really slow. Scary on the highway when you try to accelerate into traffic. Handling is not great.

Chevy Sonic: Good on gas, not great, drives well, handles well, has lots of tech, kids liked it, but due to past bad history about the company the Wife won't even entertain any American car.

Mazda 3: Really sporty ride, great cornering, a little thirsty on gas. If it was not for the rust issue, I'd consider one. They are more expensive than the Fit. No backup camera.

All these cars have pros and cons. The Fit seems best for our family's needs.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TorontoBoy
Nissan Versa Note: . . . the rear seats do not give you a flat surface.
Also worth comparing are the backseat headrests. I really appreciate good visibility in a car and I love how the Fit's backseat headrests can be lowered flush with the top of the seat. the headrests in the Nissan Versa Note always block the rearward view.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
A bit bigger than the Fit but, anyone have look at and/or have cooment on the honda HRV?

Old 01-09-2016, 08:34 AM
5 Year Member
We looked at the HRV twice. When compared to the Fit we rejected HRV for these reasons:

1. first design year
2. 15% lower fuel economy
3. larger, harder to park
4. felt like an SUV

Quick Reply: Runner Up to the Fit: Other small cars with clever space