Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.
View Poll Results: Old Posts worth anything to you new guys???
Yep, I have read a bunch and found good info
88.00%
Nope, never bothered to look and don't care
0%
Who cares I just want my questions answered
0%
What are old posts??
12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

New guys actually read old posts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Banned
New guys actually read old posts?

From a few recent posts it seams that some of the newer members have never looked at any of the old posts in the forum. My question for this poll is what do you new guys think, are the old posts worth anything to you or are they just old stuff and you are concerned with only your questions?

Old 12-19-2007, 02:03 PM
The depth and quantity of posts (older) is what got me to join this community!!! There is lots of stuff that I can look into or just enjoy, sometimes I get a bit frustrated with searches (but im sure thats my technique, and unfimiliarity) but I always find interesting older posts. I think some people are just a bit anxious and either jump the gun and not search or just simply forget to, maybe they even think they are the only one with a question/comment and...err...um... lets just go with that!

I dig it! I hope no one gets rid of em!

Old 12-19-2007, 02:07 PM
one more thing...

Sorry about this...but I think many (new or not) like to see things active or have a somewhat live discussion on a topic rehashed or not. There seems to be a certain energy that is gained from front page visibility.
But im new so um...yeah...

Old 12-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Retired Moderator
To be honest claymore, your going to loose the "Do a search" war. New memebers want answers and they want them fast. Alot of people sign up and dont know much about forums and just need an answer to a question so they do the easy quik thing, make a thread and check back in a hour. Yes its not bad to say do search for further detail but i ususally also give a short answer so they get there way but i still say do a search for more info. Plus the search function here isnt the most simple and takes time to get to what you want. When i was new i used to get so frusterated at the search bar here to the point where i just made a thread. Now i have figured it out pretty much. but like i said there will always be new members in need of fast answers.

Tyler

Old 12-19-2007, 03:31 PM
5 Year Member
He doesn't get it..

Old 12-19-2007, 04:49 PM
absolutely....doing searches and finding out in detail more about the fit is what made me trade my 06 tsx in and grab one as soon as possible. sometimes i just want to post the question instead of looking for it though i have to be honest and sometimes its a downer when you search something and there is a thread on it with 1200 posts attached that ya kinda have to skim through but all in all ability to search and the feedback received is A+

Old 12-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Banned
I have to disagree with you, just like the other guys here, Tyler. You are 16 years old. I'll bet that you can tie your own shoes and dress yourself. If someone else did these things for you every time you whined or yelled, you still would not know how.

Joining a forum for instant answers wastes everyone's time, including the one with the question. You don't walk into a library and say to the librarian "Hey Dude. I wanna know what an ischial colossiti is". If he/she even knew the answer, they wouldn't tell you. They might direct to to the "Primate Biology" section, though.

If people keep feeding you answers, you stay a child forever.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by manxman
I have to disagree with you, just like the other guys here, Tyler. You are 16 years old. I'll bet that you can tie your own shoes and dress yourself. If someone else did these things for you every time you whined or yelled, you still would not know how.

Joining a forum for instant answers wastes everyone's time, including the one with the question. You don't walk into a library and say to the librarian "Hey Dude. I wanna know what an ischial colossiti is". If he/she even knew the answer, they wouldn't tell you. They might direct to to the "Primate Biology" section, though.

If people keep feeding you answers, you stay a child forever.
In a perfect world you are correct. In a perfect world people would just fly to the search bar and type what they want to know, take the time to read through each thread and in then end find there answer(maybe). But its not a perfect world lol. People will ask stupid questions WHERE EVER you are and with WHATEVER your doing..Stupid questions are apart of being alive. And a huge part of a car forum. To be completly honest i find claymore's answers(search, search, search) much more annoying then the stupid questions them selves. Questions make a forum thrive, as a past forum owner i would just love that a member even joined my forum, and chose mine over all the others. I would short answer his questions, and then refer them to search after they got my short answer. I would never be rude and make them feel stupid. Ive joined forums and asked a question, got replys that made me feel like a idiot and never came back..Forum owners want members, they make the forum. If your rude to them when they are noobs they probaly wont come back. thats just my opinion of course/

Tyler

Old 12-19-2007, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
Depends on what you consider a "new guy". I have had my Fit since April of this year, and probably joined FitFreak a month later, so does that make me a newbie? If so then i answered with a yes. I do read old posts if the subject sounds like something I'd like to read about. But then it also depends how much free time I have, if I happen to be busy I will pick and choose what I will read and post about.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Banned
Yo, Tyler,
You are free to disagree with me, but any answer that begins with the words "well, in a perfect world-----" prepares me for a cop-out. In a perfect world we would all be born fully educated and rich. Guess what?

Experienced people who know exactly what they are talking about have taken their time to fully answer almost any question that can come up in forums like these. You have to be smart enough to look for them. Why the hell should anyone be expected to repeat these careful explanations? why would you or anyone expect to be spoon-fed and coddled your entire life? I don't believe that you expect this but I do believe that others do. That was the reason for claymore's post and poll.

He already knows the answer to the poll. The intelligent people will reply "yes I read old posts and they are very valuable". Any other answer carries the real meaning: "no, I am a lazy dumb shit".

Old 12-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Retired Moderator
You know what i meant man..I dont think it was a cop out it was just my straight up opinion.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:58 PM
5 Year Member
The search tool is a pain... mostly because it is flooded with repetitive treads on the same subjects. Out of 60 treads on tire sizes, 55 will be initiated by people who are in an urge to know but could'nt care less about what was learned, done and shared previously by fellow members.

A forum is a place where you should listen before you jump in the conversation. That is what most of us do here. That kind of respect is so valuable that it made this forum rich with shared experience and knowledge. Thanks to all who value other's time!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
i'm just speaking for myself now, but i know when i was first on here, i read the old posts for a LONG time before i ever posted anything. and still, i've been on this forum since january and i've only got a couple hundred posts. i pick and choose because i don't want things to get repetetive.

but when i read threads started by noobs, and they're instantly attacked with a "DO A SEARCH!!" reply it looks extremely rude and if i was that noob, i'd be kind of mad. especially if they're new to forums overall, you never know.

i'd rather these forums stay an entertaining place to find answers to your questions, even if you're sick of noobs asking them.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Retired Moderator
Originally Posted by pip_rocks
i'm just speaking for myself now, but i know when i was first on here, i read the old posts for a LONG time before i ever posted anything. and still, i've been on this forum since january and i've only got a couple hundred posts. i pick and choose because i don't want things to get repetetive.

but when i read threads started by noobs, and they're instantly attacked with a "DO A SEARCH!!" reply it looks extremely rude and if i was that noob, i'd be kind of mad. especially if they're new to forums overall, you never know.

i'd rather these forums stay an entertaining place to find answers to your questions, even if you're sick of noobs asking them.
I agree 100%.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Banned
OK I just started this to find out if they are valuable to members or not. As for the "Do a search" reply people that sign up and just post
"Their" question and don't bother to search are one of the reasons searching is such a pain and doesn't work so well.... just like the member that said you get 55 results of these separate posts and have to go through them all. It's partially the Mods fault as nobody is merging these posts as they come in with older posts on the same subject. Nice to hear that they have helped out some members. I guess I should have worded it to include EVERYBODY not just noobies. As for telling noobies to search it is not RUDE any forum you go on expects members TO HELP THEMSELVES and in this day and age everybody SHOULD know it's rude of them to post up "their special question" without checking to see if it's been posted 55 times already.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
i don't start many *if any* threads, because the answer has most likely been answered. but, many people don't realize that.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:01 AM
J_L
5 Year Member
I always try a search first, but getting the correct search terms can be a challenge. Product or component names give good results but with the "short" or "common" terms being ignored, getting a search that gives good results without a couple hundred possibly unrelated threads is fairly rare. Still, searching first is good net etiquette.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:38 AM
Ritzbury
actually, my first post was a very dumb thread i started, responded to first by claymore himelf. i searched and searched and searched for the obvious answer, and claymore quickly answered the question in a somewhat rude but "here's the answer" way.

i think everyone here is right, i ended up coming back to the site, and yes, i agree that people want the answer quick, and some people just read and search and read more. there really is no way to perfect a honda fit search, too many abreviations and "slang" used in the honda world. i do a simple search and a ton of WTF pops up instead of the answer.

so it's how you want to look at it i suppose, claymore has chosen the more "say it once" approach, and tool says "let it thrive".

let's call it a deal and say that we all love honda fits!

case dismissed!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Banned
Every one bitching about searching is forgetting the most simple quick search tool of all the Mark 1 mod 2 EYEBALL. It's quite simple and most of the time faster just to go to the proper forum and skim down the old posts for whatever you are looking for. And MOST of the quickie type posts are already STICKIED look at the top of the page and most of the most asked questions can be found already answered like all the posts about the sport exhaust extension, HTP wheels or oil and oil change and milage manager questions.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Retired Moderator
"What are old posts?"
Lmao!

Quick Reply: New guys actually read old posts?