The Wasteland The wasteland is unmoderated. Please do not enter if you have a weak stomach or can easily be offended. Only Administrators will have the right to moderate posts here.

My stereotypes of certain states.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:50 AM
5 Year Member
Nevermind, shouldn't mix work with play.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 01-15-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
Were we going to see some crash statistics or something?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:29 AM
5 Year Member
Nah, attitudes of people from different states.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 AM
5 Year Member
Like how some Californians refuse to slow down at first rain... causing their $40,000 car to end up ass up in a ditch 2 minutes later?

It amazed me, how a tiny little drizzle would cause the accident rate to quadruple! Or maybe that's actually terrifying me.

Or how those same folks would pay tens of thousands for BMWs, Mercedes, even SMG Mercs... and still refuse to spend $35 for a bluetooth headset so they can put their hands on the steering wheel, instead of holding their phones.

something like that?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:45 AM
I've moved through and lived in enough states to know that the perceptions, impressions, and stereotypes are usually bunk, or at the very least so distorted that they blind you to the real character of the states.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:26 AM
5 Year Member
It is hard to stereotype Texas as a whole, too damned big, too many extremist and very much diversity. Our greatest gift to the world is Willy.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
It is hard to stereotype Texas as a whole, too damned big, too many extremist and very much diversity. Our greatest gift to the world is Willy.
Who attended Baylor for two years, might I add.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:40 AM
Speaking of Texas, I'm going there next week. I could sure go for a whataburger...(Going to SA)

Old 01-17-2011, 06:13 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Occam
Speaking of Texas, I'm going there next week. I could sure go for a whataburger...(Going to SA)
Easily the best fast food burger in texas. I could go for a bacon cheeseburger right now...

Old 01-18-2011, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Goobers
Like how some Californians refuse to slow down at first rain... causing their $40,000 car to end up ass up in a ditch 2 minutes later?

It amazed me, how a tiny little drizzle would cause the accident rate to quadruple! Or maybe that's actually terrifying me.

Or how those same folks would pay tens of thousands for BMWs, Mercedes, even SMG Mercs... and still refuse to spend $35 for a bluetooth headset so they can put their hands on the steering wheel, instead of holding their phones.

something like that?
^^^ All true...I fucking hate California drivers. They're all fucking stupid. Most drivers here let their tires go bald thats why a little drizzle puts them in the ditch. I've actually thought of recording people driving whilst talking on their phones and post that shit on youtube...take a vid of them talking on the phone, their car and their license plate....ofcourse i wouldn't take the video myself DUH!

ahhh

Old 01-18-2011, 01:35 AM
5 Year Member
i hate all asian and senior citizen drivers in california.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:37 AM
^ come to chicago and you'll see drivers left and right on their phone... heck even cops

Old 01-18-2011, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
i use my phone while i drive

actually i want to add something... i hate asian, old and FEMALE drivers.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
I didn't think this would generate so much interest. So here's my original post. It's not direct at any of you but rather my customers.

I work as a Property and Casualty insurance agent with licenses in many states. I have spoken with thousands of people across the country. There are great people all around the US. Think of these as observations.
California - Annoying, whinny (especially about normal monthly blls, pay your fucking bill and shut up, we can't offer a payment plan everytime you mismanage your money) self entitled, and generally filled with unwaranted self importance
Texas - I like you for the most part except when you go on long political rants, but quit complaining about insurance rates in Harris county, get the hell out of Houston already before it's underwater.
Florida - The stereotypes are true, all old people that can't drive or unlicensed immigrants. Also, quit complaining about Homeowner's rates. I wouldn't buy a home there, and neither should you.
Michigan - Your no fault insurance is the worst idea ever created. Also, move out of Detroit already, we're tired of your car getting stolen every month.
New York - Demanding, Impatient, Also self important. Insanely high fraud rates
Massachusetts - Old Money. Plus, you have the worst regulations in the country and your RMV (yes they call it the RMV there) is stuck in the 90s. More paperwork than any other state. No companies even really want to sell you insurance. Call your congressman and tell them the shit has to stop.
North Carolina - Your DMV and DOI are insane. Period.
SC,NC,VA,GA,AL - Why do so many of you rent trailers, could you at least aspire to buy a mobilehome instead of renting it. Seriously.
Arizona - Our customers are suprisingly pretty cool there, but they all warn me never to come to their state, even they don't want to be there. Don't buy an Escalade in Phoenix if you want to own you car for more than a month.
New Jersey - I wish they would revoke my license in this state so I never have to deal with it again.
Ohio - I like you
Illinois/Indiana - Boring states.
Connecticut - Also old money. Stop giving me the hoity toity attitude all the time.

All others are presently unremarkable in my mind. In the performance of my work duties I don't let these observations affect me because most of the people I speak with are good decent people (albeit easily confused)

Old 01-18-2011, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
I don't hate anyone but people that are on their cell phones don't drive any better than drunken old Asian female sailors.

Old 01-18-2011, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
texting and driving is alot worse than talking on the phone. i drive better drunk than texting

Old 01-18-2011, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by DreaMv
i use my phone while i drive

actually i want to add something... i hate asian, old and FEMALE drivers.
may I add "In a Toyota Camry?"

I've learned to give Camrys lots of clearance on the motorcycle. I don't know what it is about Asian women in Toyota Camrys... my theory is that there are a LOT of retired military members in this area, and it seems that a Korean wife is a quasi-requirement for retired Army dudes... perhaps they didn't learn to drive until moving to the US, or they bring east-Asian cultural norms of driving with them.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
[rant]

Three things came to mind while reading this thread that I've noticed happens a lot in Texas...

1. People who haul trailers/pick-up beds/dump trucks full of loose items who either make a half assed attempt to cover the cargo or do not cover that shit up and allowing it to spill/bounce out onto the road. There were so many times that I was driving along and seen gravel trucks dropping rocks on the highway, loose tool boxes and welding machines bouncing around the back of a flat bed pick-up, or trailers full of scrap/junk that were completely uncovered and easily fly out with a good bump.

In fact, the last trailer of scrap/junk I've seen had a damn small block V8 setting 2 feet from the end of the fucking trailer not chained or strapped to anything.

2. Slow drivers who go on the shoulder to allow you to pass. Whoever was the genius to make this a law should be bound, gagged, and thrown into a swimming pool of crawfish. This in my honest opinion is even more unsafe than driving under the speed limit because the shoulder isn't nearly as wide as the traveling lane and the rumble strips usually have loose rocks and debris in them.

So, you have the added risk of getting your windshield cracked/broken and the potential risk of the slow driver on the shoulder actually going off the road completely and into the ditch or whatever is to the road's side. Mind you, this is just considering two vehicles going the same direction; if there was any on coming traffic while a slow vehicle was doing this in front of you, you'd have one sketchy situation on your hands.

3. Douche bag(gette)s in lifted diesel trucks. What the frisky fried fuck is up with all these damn people (usually late teens to mid-20's) driving these huge 3/4 and up with black soot (unburnt diesel) billowing from the exhaust at every light? I swear every time I head down south either to school or town there is at least one spoiled douche nozzle hooning around in a diesel Ford F-series bought by their parents who work at DOW or some other plant in the area.

People in those bhemonths usually drag race one another at red lights, sling chunks of mud all up and down the highway after they've gone mudding, or are doing donuts and burnouts in parking lots in the middle of the day. In addition to that, they have at least a 4 inch lift and 33 inch mud terrains on their trucks usually. Resulting in their lights being right in your mirrors when they stop behind you at lights and you can't do a damn thing but flip the dimmer clip on the rear mirror squint.

[/rant]

Old 01-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by Hootie
[rant]

Three things came to mind while reading this thread that I've noticed happens a lot in Texas...

3. Douche bag(gette)s in lifted diesel trucks. What the frisky fried fuck is up with all these damn people (usually late teens to mid-20's) driving these huge 3/4 and up with black soot (unburnt diesel) billowing from the exhaust at every light? I swear every time I head down south either to school or town there is at least one spoiled douche nozzle hooning around in a diesel Ford F-series bought by their parents who work at DOW or some other plant in the area.

People in those bhemonths usually drag race one another at red lights, sling chunks of mud all up and down the highway after they've gone mudding, or are doing donuts and burnouts in parking lots in the middle of the day. In addition to that, they have at least a 4 inch lift and 33 inch mud terrains on their trucks usually. Resulting in their lights being right in your mirrors when they stop behind you at lights and you can't do a damn thing but flip the dimmer clip on the rear mirror squint.

[/rant]
No shortage of these in Cali, especially when you get 30 miles from the coast and you're essentially in Okla-tucky.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
California - Annoying, whinny (especially about normal monthly blls, pay your fucking bill and shut up, we can't offer a payment plan everytime you mismanage your money) self entitled, and generally filled with unwaranted self importance,
:goldstar:

From an email last week to a friend regarding an attitude that is effecting the small condo development I live in. Austin has more California immigrants over a short period of time than any other US city, I'm sure. We are up to something like 20% of our population. That's as much as the African Americans and a few points shy of the Hispanic population.

the email:
As for a lot of the attitude you are encountering - no offense if you happen to have sentiments on this - but it's very "California." They moved in thinking that Texas culture was some antiquated remnant for them to change, and failing to see that it created what they are now enjoying (and ruining.) I wouldn't be surprised if a larger percentage than normal of these immigrants have superiority complexes, or were threatened by the big city--not being able to find their identity. I've seen it happen where people from up North, who generally are a lot smarter and more educated and than the average Texan, moves down here to stand out more. It generally works, but they have something to back it up with. Smarts and hard work are hardly the qualities I associate with The Golden State. Whiny, picky and polarized (extreme) are more apt, and seems to fit the bill here.

Not to say all Californians are like that, but honestly, the majority of the ones I've met fit this description. Get your state's culture in order Cali! I know that with the internet, you don't have supastar status anymore, so stop trying to be so weird/different already, and join the real world where things get done and opinions are like asshole.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My stereotypes of certain states.