The Wasteland The wasteland is unmoderated. Please do not enter if you have a weak stomach or can easily be offended. Only Administrators will have the right to moderate posts here.

Petroleum...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 12:20 AM
5 Year Member
Petroleum...

I did not post this with the intention of creating a political firestorm....

Last edited by vinnymac; 05-02-2011 at 04:41 AM. Reason: Deleted
Old 04-28-2011, 07:28 AM
That sucks. Our government should be ashamed ay the fact they do this. Every year prices go way high for the summer when they know people will be driving. Yet we have our own oil rigs here not being used to bring prices down. Why is that? A money making scheme is all it is. Rediculous if you ask me.
My wife has an exploreri bought her about three years ago. Ive been trying to talk her into an accord for awhile. Maybe this will help.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bthasht
That sucks. Our government should be ashamed ay the fact they do this. Every year prices go way high for the summer when they know people will be driving. Yet we have our own oil rigs here not being used to bring prices down. Why is that? A money making scheme is all it is. Rediculous if you ask me.
My wife has an exploreri bought her about three years ago. Ive been trying to talk her into an accord for awhile. Maybe this will help.

Don't blame 'government'. Did you vote against those running the country today? Did you work to discourage others from voting for Democrats, who are primarily responsible for no drilling for our oil, no Manhattan project to convert coal to gasoline, extreme limitations on refinery building, or going so deeply in debt our dollar is worth less on the open market for crude where we have to get it?
If you didn't do your part, what did you expect?
Did you know the current Energy Department is led by a Harvard professor who openly WANTS gas to cost $7 a gallon.
Wait'll you see your new tax schedule.

Last edited by mahout; 04-28-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:40 AM
^^ I do blame government. I did vote republican. Obama is worthless in my opion. Wanna start that subject my wife is head nurse in the surgical department. Talk to her about the"health care bill". That discussion is a sore subject with her. We both voted republican, and both tried to swing people away from democrat. Problem was obama claims to be black, and got alot of votes that way. Other way was his"stimulus package" everyone thought they were getting a check, however had they have read the package details on the internet before voting they would have known they would be"stimulating"big companies with their tax money. Wife and I paid $6000 last year in federal taxes. This year we bought our first home, so time for them to pay me, basderds.
Sorry if that was a rant, but Obama is a sore subject with me and wife.
So yes,I blame government.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
^^ I do blame government. I did vote republican. Obama is worthless in my opion. Wanna start that subject my wife is head nurse in the surgical department. Talk to her about the"health care bill". That discussion is a sore subject with her. We both voted republican, and both tried to swing people away from democrat. Problem was obama claims to be black, and got alot of votes that way. Other way was his"stimulus package" everyone thought they were getting a check, however had they have read the package details on the internet before voting they would have known they would be"stimulating"big companies with their tax money. Wife and I paid $6000 last year in federal taxes. This year we bought our first home, so time for them to pay me, basderds.

Nice rant. But you shouldn't blame 'government' because there's no one to blame - and get rid of. Democrats are our prime cause of all you mention and more and if they aren't targeted they win.
PS ObamaCare, by Presidents own words, costs (at least) $2 trillion a year; the IRS says there are less than 80 million taxpayers. Thats an average of more than $25,000 per taxpayer and you know that can't happen. More promises that can't be kept without impoverishing health care practitioners.. This is the most incompetent 'government' in our nation's history- and DEMOCRATS are to blame. Sure there are incompetent Republicans as well but they are much fewer in number and easier to replace.
cheers.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Let's try to keep the politics in the off topic shall we?

It's idiotic putting all the blame on democrats for everything. Doubly idiotic for thinking that it's government responsibility to lower gas prices LOL - are you advocating the government take over oil companies and *gasp* socialize gasoline? As if anyone believes the big oil honchos getting all the tax breaks and Republican support would lower gas prices even if they were allowed to drill for more oil at the cost of destroying the ocean for future generations as we've already seen in the gulf of mexico.

Also I don't recall Obama starting starting two wars, one of which was illegal and based on lies - both of which we're still stuck in and spending billions on.

I bet the thought of turning medicare into a voucher system is giving you guys hardons at the very moment.

Last edited by Koi; 04-28-2011 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:04 PM
^^^ As I was driving home I got an email with your response to this thread. First thing I thought was this person has got to be from California. Only someone there would give such a response. I mean they voted the Terminator as thier Governor for christ sake.

Second name calling is not needed. I see you edited it out,and kudos to you for that. However I did see it and was uncalled for.Bring back the Terminator to your name calling. Now who is an @#$%%?

Third as a lower east side NYC native. Our war IS NOT WORTHLESS. I lost people that day, and if it was up to me ALL would pay. They brought it here, we went in response. Only a coward would do such a thing. At least we show up with military.

I will leave it at that and not respond with anymore government slander.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:07 PM
5 Year Member
If memory servers me correct, we were paying more for a gallon of gas under Bush. They are not called the Bush tax cuts because democrats signed them into law. The economy went to trash under the Bush regime. Let's see, when Bush took office, we actually had a surplus and not a deficit. But sure is easy enough to blame democrats when as a party you don't want to take responsibility for you own follies. Oh well...

Old 04-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Straw man much?

Editing out the insults was due to forum rules, sorry - however, you HAVE proven how well the insults fit you with the way you generalize and stereotype those you don't agree with.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koi
Let's try to keep the politics in the off topic shall we?

It's idiotic putting all the blame on democrats for everything. Doubly idiotic for thinking that it's government responsibility to lower gas prices LOL - are you advocating the government take over oil companies and *gasp* socialize gasoline? As if anyone believes the big oil honchos getting all the tax breaks and Republican support would lower gas prices even if they were allowed to drill for more oil at the cost of destroying the ocean for future generations as we've already seen in the gulf of mexico.

Also I don't recall Obama starting starting two wars, one of which was illegal and based on lies - both of which we're still stuck in and spending billions on.

I bet the thought of turning medicare into a voucher system is giving you guys hardons at the very moment.

Government should do what can be done to assure energy. Democrats aren't and have no intention of doing so.
How about Libya?
Doesn't seem to be much lasting effect on the Gulf from BP. How about Petrograd? Think they'll care half as much as BP?
Democrats have only name-calling cause they can't explain how $2 trillion in health care can be paid by less than 80 million taxpayers? For math deficient thats average $25,000 per taxpayer. A voucher system at least has a chance to give affordable health care to 80% of Americans. More if we real NAFTA and CAFTA, where large quantities of jobs have gone.
Democrats can't come to grips with not only inability tp pay down the national debt but how (or unwilling) to bring us back to a balanced budget. Try spending 1.5 times your income and see how you make out. Thats the 2011 Democrat budget proposed.
If they get their intent to raise taxes to European levels its doubtful many of the posters here will be able to afford a Fit. cell phone, or virtually anything or parts purchased offshore.
You may think politics doesn't belong here but in truth it belongs everywhere if we count on having a future.
Provide answers, not rhetoric.

Last edited by mahout; 04-29-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
Well since we are talking about "Obamacare" let's bring up BushCare aka the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act. Which includes Medicare Part D and all the associated costs there of. The republicans can pass this and tax cuts at the same time, adding costs while lowering revenue. Right... You have to love the republican rhetoric.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mahout
Government should do what can be done to assure energy. Democrats aren't and have no intention of doing so.
I'm not going to delve into heathcare here because the topic was about gas prices. Shouldn't you be off at town hall meetings yelling angrily about how your republican overlords shouldn't take away medicare, giving it to insurance companies? Oh wait, never mind, you guys only care about yourselves, not your children and future generations who your ilk are trying to rob blind under the guise of easily swallowable talking points!

As for gas, I sure believe the republicans are the right guys who would regulate and make sure the oil industry gives us the consumers a fair price. My eyes are rolling around towards my esophagus right about now.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:56 PM
This is getting good. Thank god I dont have medicare. This could get deep. I pay insurance and have big taxes because I work too hard and make too much money. Oh well. Self indulgence thats me. Nevermind my kids whom I give the world too.

Chris please move this thread. Its gonna get deep soon.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:12 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
This is getting good. Thank god I dont have medicare. This could get deep. I pay insurance and have big taxes because I work too hard and make too much money. Oh well. Self indulgence thats me. Nevermind my kids whom I give the world too.

Chris please move this thread. Its gonna get deep soon.
LOL so basically you're just a high roller with good insurance and a good job... but DAMN THOSE DEMOCRATS for letting my gas prices go up because who else can we blame!

Sorry but I'm still laughing here, I need to add: the damn government, keep your hands off my healthcare, we don't need any reform to our healthcare system - but you guys seriously need to lower my gas prices which went up 50 cents a gallon! Damn it all, this is all your fault, that's your job Obama!

Last edited by Koi; 04-29-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Dont know about high roller, but yeah I have great job and so does my wife. We do just fine. Insurance us great as well, as it should be. We pay enough for it, unlike many who I also pay for with my taxes. Its ok thats america right.
New health care is actually good for me and wife, because now the doctors in her surgical department have to treat you without insurance so more business for her.
Im not a stubborn ass, and am open to many things. Im republican and have always been. As you are democrat. I blame you, you blame me. Thats america.
Cali people draw a stereotype as do new yorkers. You rubbed me wrong with the worthless war comment. Its ok. People move on. I for one will be back at ground zero in september as I have been. I wont forget.
Mumbo jumbo politics. Real life rules me.
On subject has prices will always be a bitch, because no one ever wants to give their money away

Old 04-29-2011, 08:35 PM
Koi
5 Year Member
You sir are the one who said anything about a worthless war. I merely said that Obama did not start two wars that are still ongoing.

Nobody likes giving their money away, but you're blaming the wrong people. Since when is Obama a gasoline czar? Since when is the government responsible for curbing rising gasoline prices that are dictated by giant faceless multinational corporations gaming the market, especially considering that they barely pay any tax unlike you and I who do? Stop shoving nonsense into your brain and think about who is actually responsible, not who others tell you is.

By the way, Chevron+Shell+ExxonMobil made a combined ~25 BILLION dollars in their first quarter reports for this year. That's in PROFIT. Yet we have republicans voting to extend subsidies for these oil companies, doing everything they can to make sure these companies get their tax breaks and loopholes so they don't have to contribute their share of taxes in the USA. You have DEMOCRATIC senators making bills to get rid of those subsidies and tax breaks, while REPUBLICANS are doing what they can to keep the status quo of exorbitant profit at the cost of people like us paying more at the pump.

So again, why blame democrats for gas prices? Easy scapegoat when your own leaders are helping these companies reap in our money as their profits.

Last edited by Koi; 04-29-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
Dito

Originally Posted by That
^^ I do blame government. I did vote republican. Obama is worthless in my opinion. Wanna start that subject my wife is head nurse in the surgical department. Talk to her about the"health care bill". That discussion is a sore subject with her. We both voted republican, and both tried to swing people away from democrat. Problem was obama claims to be black, and got a lot of votes that way. Other way was his"stimulus package" everyone thought they were getting a check, however had they have read the package details on the internet before voting they would have known they would be"stimulating"big companies with their tax money. Wife and I paid $6000 last year in federal taxes. This year we bought our first home, so time for them to pay me, basterds.
Why we voted for a muslim in the first place is beyond my comprehension. The man has done everything he can to bring the dollar straight down to nothing! And NO I did not vote for him, never heard of him before the 2008 election and want to see him and his cabinet GONE from the decision making of OUR country. We need our country to be able to manufacture and product what we need! Not buy all we want from China! I would love to buy American products but 2 presidents ago sold out the American Manufacturing to China, Mexico, Canada Taiwan, India. And the dollar is going down at a rate that will make 6.00 gallon gas seem like a deal by 2012! The hand writing is on the wall If We Don't Take Care Of America's Financial Sate who will "do you think borrowing billions from other counties" and throwing it to special interest groups is going to Biuld Up our economy? Well so far I'd say it SUCKS!
Big Mike

Old 04-29-2011, 09:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Koi
You sir are the one who said anything about a worthless war. I merely said that Obama did not start two wars that are still ongoing.

Nobody likes giving their money away, but you're blaming the wrong people. Since when is Obama a gasoline czar? Since when is the government responsible for curbing rising gasoline prices that are dictated by giant faceless multinational corporations gaming the market, especially considering that they barely pay any tax unlike you and I who do? Stop shoving nonsense into your brain and think about who is actually responsible, not who others tell you is.

By the way, Chevron+Shell+ExxonMobil made a combined ~25 BILLION dollars in their first quarter reports for this year. That's in PROFIT. Yet we have republicans voting to extend subsidies for these oil companies, doing everything they can to make sure these companies get their tax breaks and loopholes so they don't have to contribute their share of taxes in the USA. You have DEMOCRATIC senators making bills to get rid of those subsidies and tax breaks, while REPUBLICANS are doing what they can to keep the status quo of exorbitant profit at the cost of people like us paying more at the pump.

So again, why blame democrats for gas prices? Easy scapegoat when your own leaders are helping these companies reap in our money as their profits.
But as I remember it Oboma did say( after his 2008 win) the war would be over and the troops home by the summer of 2009. And the oil companies are raping us while they can. this whole petrolium market is specutation. And Lybia sell 2-3% of our oil but prices have increased from 2.40 to 3.99 in the past 2 years? Oil co.'s getting over YES and the dollar value Down.

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 04-29-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
8Share

By Robert Reich, Guest blogger / April 29, 2011
Exxon-Mobil’s first quarter earnings of $10.7 billion are up 69 percent from last year. That’s the most profit the company has earned since the third quarter of 2008 — perhaps not coincidentally, around the time when gas prices last reached the lofty $4 a gallon.
Skip to next paragraph
Robert Reich Robert is chancellor's professor of public policy at the University of California at Berkeley. He has served in three national administrations, most recently as secretary of labor under President Clinton. He has written 13 books, including 'The Work of Nations,' 'Locked in the Cabinet,' and his most recent book, 'Aftershock: The Next Economy and America's Future.' His 'Marketplace' commentaries can be found on publicradio.com and iTunes.

Recent posts

This gusher is an embarrassment for an industry seeking to keep its $4 billion annual tax subsidy from the U.S. government, at a time when we’re cutting social programs to reduce the budget deficit.
It’s specially embarrassing when Americans are paying through their noses at the pump.
Exxon-Mobil’s Vice President asks that we look past the “inevitable headlines” and remember the company’s investments in renewable energy.
What investments, exactly? Last time I looked Exxon-Mobil was devoting a smaller percentage of its earnings to renewables than most other oil companies, including the errant BP.
In point of fact, no oil company is investing much in renewables — precisely because they’ve got such money gusher going from oil. Those other oil companies also had a banner first quarter, compounding the industry’s embarrassment about its $4 billion a year welfare check

Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 PM
A Muslim? It was either that or the man who intentionally crashed his plane into Vietnam as part of a deal to sell state secrets and then fabricated tales of torture.

Retelling bogus, discredited stories is fun for all!

The current trend in gasoline prices is fairly agnostic to the political party in control of either the executive or legislative branches. If Senator McCain had been elected, we'd be in the same crappy position. It's a red herring.

Increasing domestic production simply means we will have less oil, a strategic mineral asset, when supplies are far more exhausted in the future. Let the camel-jockeys run down their reserves and leave their land an ugly, barren, miserable place... it won't look much different.

Incentivizing drilling through tax breaks to oil companies... those tax dollars have to be made up somehow, either through increased borrowing (which damages the dollar, negating the price gains), or through increased taxation.

We could always nationalize the oil production, and welcome ourselves into the South American community.

Quick Reply: Petroleum...