The Wasteland The wasteland is unmoderated. Please do not enter if you have a weak stomach or can easily be offended. Only Administrators will have the right to moderate posts here.

Banning for drama, but not the people initiating the drama.. fool proof?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Banning for drama, but not the people initiating the drama.. fool proof?

So it seems that the newly shared SOP to be used here is where inane, well worn topics known to cause an issue and started by folks not interested in searching or learning, or letting their position on the matter evolve... will actually be rewarded by banning the people who actually set the BS straight.

Does that sound about right?

Instead of allowing the argument to take its course, we are going to play the "opposing parties are always equal" game?

The person who then goes on to try and crusade against people "being rude" by starting emo threads and stalking newbies is then given a pass?

Perhaps moderation cues could be taken from forums that actually give a fuck about their content, like the DSMTuners or YellowBullet forums.

Actual active moderation, closing or merging repeats, encouraging searching, considering the accuracy or veracity of information posted, that sort of thing.

Little tolerance to shit flinging ignorant new folks.. that sort of thing.

Where you might say my callous response to someone who says something patently retarded like "theres no difference between premium and regular lolololz" or "hey guise, what offset shud i use on my stockFit????" is initiating the drama, it seems many would disagree.

If your response then is "well put them on ignore" or "don't respond" all thats being done is both encouraging that sort of thing as well as taking an already haggard search feature and making it almost completely useless.

But instead we could waste time worrying about experience points, activity bars or levels or some shit like that.. ok.

Also, banning the "usual suspects" would seriously cut activity here, which means less ad revenue and click traffic in addition to more teenage text speak laden bs threads about the same three topics over and over becoming fully entrenched.

Discuss.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 07-12-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member

Old 07-13-2012, 12:15 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Way to try to cause even more drama. Noobs are going to ask the same questions over and over. Its inevitable. Responding to them like asses will make them upset and so starts the "You're a douche" "No! You're a douche". Tell them to search, nicely. If they respond back to you like a ass, report the post and mods will step in if necessary. Reporting a post after everyone has been blowing smoke up each others asses just pisses everyone off, and annoys other members.

Report posts and refrain from getting sucked into drama. This will help mods close threads and the repeat questions. Stop adding to the problem and help fix it.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:58 AM
I have something to add from a new Fit enthusiast. I am guilty of asking dumb questions and starting wars inside posts and all the other crap new people do just like you said. But after a couple false starts I did learn the rules of the game.

If you truly want to have a good site where new people can go to get fast accurate answers and at the same time having productive discussions between experienced users then I recommend the following solutions.

You should have a FAQ section to answer all the regular questions new people have. They should be accurate and full of pictures. They should be closed to further discussion after the more knowledgeable users have agreed on an answer. Further changes to answers should go through a moderator who is responsible for that Q+A using PM's. Each answer should only have one comprehensive post. Fast accurate done.

Then when a new person asks how do I.....?

You can answer : look up the FAQ. The answer is there under...

A list of proven an dependable suppliers of parts should be supplied for new users. For example a list of 3 sellers for each common item that people put on their Fits would cut a lot of chatter. Some Items only have one some more. But you get my drift.

The options are limitless in this format.

As well is there should be a way for the OP to delete the entire thread after he or she gets an answer or if the thread spirals into chaos.

Edit:

There a new person who's been asking a question about his A/C. Once a minute or so it starts blowing hot air. He started a thread and basically got every answer imaginable that really didn't help much. So he started a second thread hoping for a different result. No luck. He started a 3rd thread with basically the same question and someone finally gave him an answer that he could use. It was normal. It was a gas saving measure on the part of Honda to cycle the A/C on-off. Two posts later another poster wrote that wasn't true at all. The a/c cuts off to prevent icing in the system.

So now you have two plausible answers out there. On 3 different threads. If a new person joins tomorrow and looks up this problem he will most likely ask a new question on a new thread because of the confusion. And the answer will be something like: do research etc...asked and answered etc...but in fact he might have actually used the search function and after reading 50 pages of nothing he/she is left with conflicting answers. Hence yet another thread to annoy the old guys.

A nice FAQ on this with a solid answer would help alleviate this happening again is my point.

It is not fair to ask a new person to do his research when what they will find is confusing or misleading information. When all they will find is threads with picture links that no longer work. etc.

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 07-13-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:32 AM
5 Year Member
I'm a newbie, but an old guy thats been around a lot of cars, motorcycles, and a few diesel motorhomes as well, and internet forums for all of the above.

I agree with you. There's some real drama queens on here, and kids with "cool" lingo typing like they speak. Mods seem pretty weak over all.

I spent weeks researching, using the search feature, and reading old threads researching the Fit before I posted the first time, and before I bought the car. Just picked it up Monday.

Now I don't agree with all the posts in all the threads, and don't agree with every opinion, but I take what works for me and let the rest go versus arguing, criticizing, and then being a drama queen if the discussion "offends" me.

I lke the forum overall, and need the information posted here, but it takes a lot of reading and researching to cut throught the drivel to find the meat.

Dan

EDIT: I also read the owners manual cover to cover the first day owning the car. I see lot's of questions on the forum easily answered by opening the owners manual.

Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
So it seems that the newly shared SOP to be used here is where inane, well worn topics known to cause an issue and started by folks not interested in searching or learning, or letting their position on the matter evolve... will actually be rewarded by banning the people who actually set the BS straight.

Instead of allowing the argument to take its course, we are going to play the "opposing parties are always equal" game?

The person who then goes on to try and crusade against people "being rude" by starting emo threads and stalking newbies is then given a pass?

Perhaps moderation cues could be taken from forums that actually give a fuck about their content, like the DSMTuners or YellowBullet forums.

Actual active moderation, closing or merging repeats, encouraging searching, considering the accuracy or veracity of information posted, that sort of thing.

Where you might say my callous response to someone who says something patently retarded like "theres no difference between premium and regular lolololz" or "hey guise, what offset shud i use on my stockFit????" is initiating the drama, it seems many would disagree.

If your response then is "well put them on ignore" or "don't respond" all thats being done is both encouraging that sort of thing as well as taking an already haggard search feature and making it almost completely useless.

But instead we could waste time worrying about experience points, activity bars or levels or some shit like that.. ok.

Also, banning the "usual suspects" would seriously cut activity here, which means less ad revenue and click traffic in addition to more teenage text speak laden bs threads about the same three topics over and over becoming fully entrenched.

Discuss.

Last edited by AC7880; 07-13-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
I remember this place...

My exact thought before coming here for the first time in weeks was, "I wonder how fucked up FitFreak has gotten."

I've got to tell you, this is an uphill battle, people are getting more fucking incompetent every day. My customers... , The people who report to me at work... , The people I pass on the street... I swear to God these bastards are bred to be incompetent fucktards that have the problem solving skills of a freaking turnip. But it's okay because society say's its a okay to suck, to act like your emotions are some sort of justification for intellectual suckage. It's such a cancer that even I'm reduced to a driveling snob when I think about it.

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 07-13-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I remember this place...

My exact thought before coming here for the first time in weeks was, "I wonder how fucked up FitFreak has gotten."

I've got to tell you, this is an uphill battle, people are getting more fucking incompetent every day. My customers... , The people who report to me at work... , The people I pass on the street... I swear to God these bastards are bred to be incompetent fucktards that have the problem solving skills of a freaking turnip. But it's okay because society say's its a okay to suck, to act like your emotions are some sort of justification for intellectual suckage. It's such a cancer that even I'm reduced to a driveling snob when I think about it.
Sadly, I am forced to see your point day in and day out.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by Lyon[Nightroad]
I remember this place...

Ditto on all counts.

I stay pretty quiet here compared to all of the other auto/motorcycle forums I frequent. Why? Because the amount of n00bs here (I know, we were all noobs at one point or another) asking silly questions about what fart can will make me 100 more bhp and what intake can I add that i will net me 50bhp is getting old. But rather than antagonize, I STFU and ignore it. In the process, I rarely post, because as you and DSM have stated, and I'm paraphrasing, "there was once a bunch of good information here - now its all gone to shit."

And yes, everyday life, especially in Chicago(!!!!), is showing more and more laziness and dumb fucking idiots. Ever seen the movie Idiocracy? Sadly, that's what many people nowadays are starting to act like!!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Sounds like you fellas are miserable.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
I've been on this forum for a while now, going on 4 years and visiting it for some time before that. It's definitely become less interesting over time, but I guess I am sort of jaded and tired of seeing some of the same posts over and over about oil changes and nothing new being introduced. Part of that may be also due to lack of aftermarket options (for the GE8 at least) but that's a different rant. I'm no Fit innovator myself but I try to contribute where I can.

The forum does need some cleaning up, maybe with certain sub-forums merged/eliminated. Noobs need a place to go to post questions, maybe move the maintenence/repair forum up higher for more visibility. It's probably a big job and there really aren't enough active moderators to do it all. Why not promote a few people to help?

While I like the fair-handed moderation here, there is only a mild sense of control. I'm sure there's other things going on behind the scenes, but I only see reactions to the problems rather than proactively preventing them. Maybe don't let people make troll posts under the guise of posing it as a serious question...it's usually obvious if their intent was to stir up trouble. Maybe put up a sticky about not making such troll threads at the top of at least the GD3 and GE8 forum and actually ban if needed.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
Vanct, the problems with your suggestions aren't whether they are good or bad ideas (I think they're good), but the fact that even if you have the EXACT topic a n00bie is looking for on the very first line... they're going to post anyway. Too many people just don't give a shit about anything, but themselves... and it gets to the point where unless they say/ask it, it doesn't matter to them.

I mean, an example is a thread that has been answered and not responded to in YEARS... suddenly some guy will respond to it, regurgitating the answer and act as if they solved the problem.

Again, unless they say it or ask it... its not the same as far as they are concerned.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:39 PM
I like this forum overall and find it quite entertaining

It's been very helpful and helped me a ton with my new Fit.I belong to many forums and they all have a few kinks that need to be ironed out.

I actually like the mix of old and young and I tend to side with the old
I have found the answer to every question I've had by searching here or using Google.The google search usually leads me back to FF

even if it is 4-5 years old It's here somewhere.I know when to put my hip boots on and stay out of the horse $h#t that piles up on occasion.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:08 PM
5 Year Member
Question Will you be here in 2026?

This Forum is Great! The most @$%&*&%#%&^!!!!** forum i have ever been apart of is "Va Driven" now there is a bunch of little Spoiled ill mannered rotten apples. Yep I have another Hondee and I kinda gotten lost here. Back in the day 2008 we really had some good fellas here just lov'n owning the Fit and doing mods for the 1st time. But the Fit is just a step car, shoot for most here it's just a few years till we have another ride and the Fit is long gone. Remember Geniuss? and his purple GD3, that was the Fit everybody wanted! I remember being welcomed by "Prozac" a really nice fella but just disapeared? well sometimes a name says it all,lol. So I see this forum always changing and the GD3's being coveted being the first run and so few. The GE8's still have a long run time if the gd3 is any indicator. So it's all good if ya really into the Fit you will always be home here. Because if can be done to a Fit it has here . And hopefully Honda will have an even better GF13 Fit in the future. I hope they are like the Civic with 9 generations & more coming! And if that's the case there will be some of us here for a really long time.
"can I get extra butter on this?"
Big Mike

Old 07-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Kids these days in general are just dumb as shit. I am one (24) and my peers are just in general, participation trophy fucks who think money comes free with education and asking before thinking/reading/hearing/seeing is the best/only option. Words? What are those.

I got in a previous argument a few years back with a guy about a civic. 92 civic. Has to be the most widely modified car out there, with the most information, and most aftermarket support. There are massive write ups that you can spend an hour or so reading through and damn near be a pro. Well, this guy ask "blablabla what engine is best" I replied with a link to said write up that has every engine combo, difficulty, cost, and strengths/weaknesses. He proceeded to ask, "no, but what do you think". Wtf does it matter what I think. Read this shit and be a big boy and make your own decision. Only way to learn is try and succeed/fail. Failure is the best tool for learning. You'll never forget if you fuck something up and it cost you money. Bam. Been there done that, experience is priceless. These young fucks want unicorns shitting rainbows of perfection out of their asses, without the work to get there. Something for nothing. Gimme a trophy for participation. I showed up to the mile run and walked a block and quit, my trophy should be as big as his!!!2!!/!:&/:$8/9!!??

We will have real problems in a few years. When these fucks start getting into congress, and making decisions, and get voted into places by their dumb ass peers... We are totally fucked

Old 07-17-2012, 07:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by eurobeaner
Kids these days in general are just dumb as shit. I am one (24) and my peers are just in general, participation trophy fucks who think money comes free with education and asking before thinking/reading/hearing/seeing is the best/only option. Words? What are those.

I got in a previous argument a few years back with a guy about a civic. 92 civic. Has to be the most widely modified car out there, with the most information, and most aftermarket support. There are massive write ups that you can spend an hour or so reading through and damn near be a pro. Well, this guy ask "blablabla what engine is best" I replied with a link to said write up that has every engine combo, difficulty, cost, and strengths/weaknesses. He proceeded to ask, "no, but what do you think". Wtf does it matter what I think. Read this shit and be a big boy and make your own decision. Only way to learn is try and succeed/fail. Failure is the best tool for learning. You'll never forget if you fuck something up and it cost you money. Bam. Been there done that, experience is priceless. These young fucks want unicorns shitting rainbows of perfection out of their asses, without the work to get there. Something for nothing. Gimme a trophy for participation. I showed up to the mile run and walked a block and quit, my trophy should be as big as his!!!2!!/!:&/:$8/9!!??

We will have real problems in a few years. When these fucks start getting into congress, and making decisions, and get voted into places by their dumb ass peers... We are totally fucked
I'm 23 myself. Let's blame it on standardized testing and a curriculum that promotes memorization vs problem solving. The problem is... you can't quantify problem solving very easily. And the systems we create as a society demand quantification. Standardized tests can't tell the difference from someone who got the question right for the wrong reason and the person who got it wrong for the right reasons. We live in an age where what you memorize is irrelevant. I can ask my phone and have the answer to any straightforward question (like who was president in 1922) in less than 10 seconds. What our generation really needed was critical thinking skills and a decent amount of simple baseline knowledge to work with. Everything else can be looked up in a reference book. I'm tired of helping people at work, pulling up a policy jacket, pointing out the general policy provisions, and still getting a deer in the headlights look that says "but what's the answer to the customer's question..." Read the fucking policy and put 2 and 2 together you idiot, how the hell did you get past the recruiter...

I have no college education, hold a low level supervisors position in a Fortune 100 company, and get these fresh college graduates who think they are prepared for work because they regurgitated the shit they were fed in school for 4 years, who actually needed to be flipping patties learning how to deal with the real world. Who's insane idea was it to try to convince everyone in my generation that EVERYONE NEEDS TO GO TO COLLEGE. Screw that, I've got as much money in my 401k and pension now as these jackoffs have in student loans.

I really don't see a solution. The rot is deep. Love my family, Love my girl, Love my car... that's all I can really do. In the end it doesn't really matter. In the end... nothing really matters. So live, prosper, fail... do what you please. We're all cogs in a machine we don't understand.

I know that I don't know the breadth of my ignorance. There is so much out there that I don't know that I don't know and it is a crippling thought.

But really that's the problem, ‘In the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.’

Last edited by Lyon[Nightroad]; 07-17-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
I agree with a lot that is being said here. off the top of my head I can only think of 2 mods JDMChris and Sam, and I had forgotten about Sam until recently, lol. That should show you how much of a pressents the pods actualy have on this forum. Yes noobs ask stupid questions and questions that have been answered before, I know im guilty of it. I still come to this forum a few times a day every day. I see a lot of threads about the same things and it gets really old. Makes me not want to even comment and makes it hard to get existed about visiting this forum. Hell I only look for new post in about 3-4 threads.

Old 07-17-2012, 03:16 PM
5 Year Member
Cool Just rambling on...

I posted the same question with my cell phone provider when I called about my bill and was charged a "One time charge for upgrade fee" when I bought new 4G phones. Old account, new phones...

I pointed out that it seems like returning/loyal customers are being penalized while the fees are being waived for new customers/accounts.

End result, the fees were cancelled...

*Fine-tuning the search engine would definitely help.
*Making the FAQ/Newbie section mandatory reading is also a thought although don't know how that can be enforced. If new members at least scan through the section, I think it would set the tone for awareness on posting guidelines ie. protocol, language, tact, etc.... One can only hope...

There's nothing wrong with asking or posting. Most of us just get irritated with some of the "basic" questions being posted coz we've been around cars long enough, have done our due diligence before posting a question and/or at least browsed over the owner's manual to know fuel/oil capacities, types of light bulbs or fuses to use.

And definitely, technology as it is now - the drive-thru mentality, 4G, streaming/flash everything, nanosecond time lapse, etc. does not promote patience nor due diligence. But rather... promotes "I need the answer now" mentality. Maybe knowledge pill is around the corner.

Have a great day everyone! Life's too short to be bogged down by BS! Just my take.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:20 PM
5 Year Member
My biggest gripe is the guys that already think they know it all because they read some generic information online and negate what I know to be true because of personal experiences I have had with my own car over the 6 years I have owned it. Petty arguments over semantics being instigated by someone is a dead give away that they have no interest in automobiles and got their asses kicked by little girls when they were in high school.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Subie
*Making the FAQ/Newbie section mandatory reading is also a thought although don't know how that can be enforced. If new members at least scan through the section, I think it would set the tone for awareness on posting guidelines ie. protocol, language, tact, etc.... One can only hope...
I've been on a few forums that required 20 posts in the newbie/FAQ subforum before they were released to the wild. I am not sure what, if anything, it did to promote learning, but it did keep the one-post-wonders from clogging up the main subforums.

I think this would require a good overhaul of the FAQ section and would take some work, but overall I think it would be worth the time.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:59 PM
Banned

I don't know of any threads reciveing this drama except the ones in the 2nd-Gen-Fit forum because that's where I'm at most of the time on here.

Why you have your panties in a wad over anything posted in the 2nd-Gen-Fit forum escapes me especially when you apperently own a 1st gen Fit?

Last one that comes to mind is dwalbert. He owns a 2nd-Gen-Fit and posted something about a 2nd-Gen-Fit in the 2nd-Gen-Fit forum and then got a bunch of crap ("drama") for it. Why? Why is that such a big deal?

So if I'm not allowed to post a thread in the 2nd-Gen-Fit forum about a 2nd-Gen-Fit without getting "drama" from you or one of your sycophants (a self-seeking, servile flatterer; fawning parasite),.........What pray tell should I be permitted to post about in the 2nd-Gen-Fit Forum? Your argument makes little sense at least with regard to that forum?

Is the best thing you have to do really "shit flinging ingnorant new folks"?. What is the end goal of shit flinging ignorant new folks? Sounds to me like looking for unsuspecting targets to attack for no apperent reason.

What do you care if somebody buys a new Fit, gets excited about it, then wants to talk about it with like minded fellows? How is that hurting you so much? especially when you have a 1st gen fit? I really don't get it.

I think the mods on here are beyond fair and seem like pretty clever, intellegent dudes to me.

Good luck with the "crusade"

Last edited by Chad T; 07-25-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Banning for drama, but not the people initiating the drama.. fool proof?