The Wasteland The wasteland is unmoderated. Please do not enter if you have a weak stomach or can easily be offended. Only Administrators will have the right to moderate posts here.

Cyclists on the road - much ranting

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Cyclists on the road - much ranting

Oh, thank you! I was pondering the other day how to choose a horn, hoping the websites that sell them have some kind of audio clip or something. I laughed at the thought of just trying to piss off other drivers on the road, get them to honk at me, then choose which sound I feel is the best. ha ha

Old 08-17-2013, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member
Get yourself a fog horn. Haha. That'll scare em.

Old 08-17-2013, 03:54 PM
I'll be honest, its not just a safety thing, I'm really tired of all the cyclists in Nashville acting like they own the road and cutting off cars as if they're sporting an exoskeleton or something.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
not just in nashville, bicycle ridors frequenty annoy people all over the usa.

there should be a law to force them to require rider's license, registration, insurance, and fines to their regular driver's licenses if they disobey traffic laws.
Chicago is trying to do just that with a few issues. If You are requiring all of the above then you must treat them equally and the city must keep records and follow up on theft (huge problem in here and in other large city's). Be careful what you wish for if you get all of the above then the traffic lane you are currently "sharing" becomes a single vehicle use meaning I now ride in the middle like a motorcycle. I have been an avid rider for nearly a decade and have been spit on, run off the road, had countless things thrown at me (everything from beer bottle's to to lit cigs), run over, hit (twice), doored (twice), and yelled at hundreds of times. I'm not going to pretend I am innocent of everything above because I 'm not but a good 85% of it I was just out riding my bike. A good example of anti-cyclist on the roads; My GF and I where casually heading to the lake IN THE BIKE LANE when a SUV swerves at her physically pushing her into a curb. I caught up to the driver 2 lights ahead (made sure the GF was ok first) and asked him WTF you could have killed her. The reply was "roads where made for cars you should GTF off of them". This is what a cyclist faces daily! Not all cyclist ride like A-holes just like not all drivers drive dangerously but there will always some and we don;t have airbags and bumpers just concrete and steel! BTW that driver lost a window that day, the cop told the driver he was lucky that was all that happened.

Sorry for the long winded rant but you hit a sore spot

P.S. you can be ticketed on a bike but mostly not enforced like speeding and turn signals for motorist.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:39 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
sorry DeltaBond for the off topic.

2poler- i deleted my post in respect to the op who posted about horns on the Fit, not bikers. hope you do the same.

back to talking horns!

Old 08-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Look, I understand the need and desire to find a hobby that provides exercise, but our country really doesnt have suitable roads for cyclists. If you wanna cycle safely, without putting your life or any car driver's life in jeapordy (and I'm including th lawsuits over injuries and property in that) find some bike trails and be considerate of your's, your loved ones', and the folks' lives who share your community. I feel cycling on the road, however 'legal', is very irresponsible. Should somethig really negative go down, you'd only be hurting the rights of other cyclists anyhow... why do that?

Anyway, short of getting a supersoaker and filling it with something really irritating to the lovely cyclists... I feel a new horn would be the most peaceful move. Thank you all for offering the DIY links, I'll be checking on those here shortly.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:58 PM
I have no problem with cyclists and I share the road with the Black Panthers of cyclists here in the Bay Area.

All I ask is that if you choose to ride your bike on the sidewalk please follow the same rules as pedestrians. I'm not going to feel bad if I plow into you making a right when you try to fly through a crosswalk on a don't cross signal. Also, if you choose to ride on the street stop signs are not optional for you, I also won't feel bad if you fly over my car in this situation as well.

A few bad apples make drivers hate all of you, and it seems there are a lot of bad apples. Same goes for drivers.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2poler
Chicago is trying to do just that with a few issues. If You are requiring all of the above then you must treat them equally and the city must keep records and follow up on theft (huge problem in here and in other large city's). Be careful what you wish for if you get all of the above then the traffic lane you are currently "sharing" becomes a single vehicle use meaning I now ride in the middle like a motorcycle. I have been an avid rider for nearly a decade and have been spit on, run off the road, had countless things thrown at me (everything from beer bottle's to to lit cigs), run over, hit (twice), doored (twice), and yelled at hundreds of times. I'm not going to pretend I am innocent of everything above because I 'm not but a good 85% of it I was just out riding my bike. A good example of anti-cyclist on the roads; My GF and I where casually heading to the lake IN THE BIKE LANE when a SUV swerves at her physically pushing her into a curb. I caught up to the driver 2 lights ahead (made sure the GF was ok first) and asked him WTF you could have killed her. The reply was "roads where made for cars you should GTF off of them". This is what a cyclist faces daily! Not all cyclist ride like A-holes just like not all drivers drive dangerously but there will always some and we don;t have airbags and bumpers just concrete and steel! BTW that driver lost a window that day, the cop told the driver he was lucky that was all that happened.

Sorry for the long winded rant but you hit a sore spot

P.S. you can be ticketed on a bike but mostly not enforced like speeding and turn signals for motorist.
you admit you ride like an arse and yet you rant about rules to keep you and your fellow riders safe.

and yes, you can wire up motorcycle air horns like the one you posted. just make sure you use a relay that usually comes with those horn kits. on my car, it was a direct bolt-on using exisiting wires from the 2horns on my fit.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:49 PM
you forgot to finish bolding the rest of the sentence "I'm not going to pretend I am innocent of everything above because I 'm not but a good 85% of it I was just out riding my bike." Everyone makes mistakes or reacts badly to a situation but if I can be the better man a majority of the time then I think I am doing pretty good.

AGAIN back on topic

I think I will look into these air horns for those crazy Chicago cabs.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
you forgot to finish bolding the rest of the sentence "I'm not going to pretend I am innocent of everything above because I 'm not but a good 85% of it I was just out riding my bike." Everyone makes mistakes or reacts badly to a situation but if I can be the better man a majority of the time then I think I am doing pretty good.

AGAIN back on topic

I think I will look into these air horns for those crazy Chicago cabs.
well that's not good enough then, unfortunately. on a weekly basis i see minimum 4-5 arsehat cyclists every weekend out of 25 or so. that's about your 15% being an arse cyclist on public roads.

i bet the responsible cyclists have more anger towards people like you than us drivers do. i have nothing against responsible cyclists. i bought my own kids bikes for them to ride on.. on bike routes away from traffic because they are not ready yet to fully understand traffic laws and responsbilities.

yes, air horns do sound good. nice distinct sound. i run a pair on my other car by stebel.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by DeltaBond
Look, I understand the need and desire to find a hobby that provides exercise, but our country really doesnt have suitable roads for cyclists. If you wanna cycle safely, without putting your life or any car driver's life in jeapordy (and I'm including th lawsuits over injuries and property in that) find some bike trails and be considerate of your's, your loved ones', and the folks' lives who share your community. I feel cycling on the road, however 'legal', is very irresponsible. Should somethig really negative go down, you'd only be hurting the rights of other cyclists anyhow... why do that?
We have suitable roads for cyclists, they're called ROADS. The law allows bicycles on them, usually in the right lane. And if you're on a narrow road you'll just have to wait for a suitable passing opportunity. Otherwise just heed the right of way and don't act like the roads are exclusively yours.

Learn to share- for some people it's not a hobby, it's transportation, that doesn't use resources or pollute. So drive responsibly or stay home.

By the way, I haven't been on a bicycle in about five years.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
well that's not good enough then, unfortunately. on a weekly basis i see minimum 4-5 arsehat cyclists every weekend out of 25 or so. that's about your 15% being an arse cyclist on public roads.

i bet the responsible cyclists have more anger towards people like you than us drivers do. i have nothing against responsible cyclists. i bought my own kids bikes for them to ride on.. on bike routes away from traffic because they are not ready yet to fully understand traffic laws and responsbilities.

yes, air horns do sound good. nice distinct sound. i run a pair on my other car by stebel.
This happened last night, I rode through there a couple of hours earlier

Jana Kinsman Attacked While Riding Her Bike in Chicago (with tweets) · abughat · Storify

A pushover in life is run over on a bike.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
This happened last night, I rode through there a couple of hours earlier

Jana Kinsman Attacked While Riding Her Bike in Chicago (with tweets) · abughat · Storify

A pushover in life is run over on a bike.
hope you guys can work something out with the drivers in chicago.
i dont go around hurting people, but most people hate riders in general for many valid reasons. GL!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=DeltaBond;119 and to scare cyclists, since they insist on causing extremely dangerous situations [/QUOTE] Your an ignorant SOB

Old 08-27-2013, 12:10 AM
Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 AM
Living in an area with quite a few bike routes/riders i can say "most" touring bike riders are courteous and observe the rules of the road. The recreational riders are another story, and it's those that seem to cause the most problems for motorists.

Old 08-27-2013, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member
I hope a cyclist you honk at kicks in your door.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:58 AM
Banned
Wow wishing physical damage to a vehicle for a horn beep is pretty overboard don't you think. This is how people end up getting killed in road rage incidents.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member
honking at someone on a bike can cause them to crash into your car or off the road.

no reason to honk at anyone. act like an adult.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:34 AM
Banned
So getting beeped at is worth possibly getting killed over?

Quick Reply: Cyclists on the road - much ranting