1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Help: DRL dashboard light (new Fit owner!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Question Help: DRL dashboard light (new Fit owner!)

I just bought a 2007 Fit LX (automatic) with 17,000 kms on it. So, I was reading the little booklet that comes with the Honda manual (the one that briefly outlines all the dashboard lights, indicators, etc). Beside the DRL symbol, it says, "If this symbol appears when the ignition is turned to the ON position (II) with the headlights off and the parking brake set, then there is a problem"... that's all it says! What kind of explanation is that!?! Well, I think I have one of these "problems" then, as the booklet puts it, because my DRL light comes on every time I start the car (even with headlights off, parking brake up). The DRL light stays on while the car is warming up. Then, when I'm ready to drive off, I put the parking brake down and then the DRL dash light finally goes away. It does not come back on again (unless of course, the car is turned off and then turned on again). Is there something wrong with my car? Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Old 05-04-2009, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Page 64 of manual reads:
Daytime Running Lights Indicator
Canadian Models only
If this indicator comes on when the ignition switch is turned to the ON (II) position and the parking brake is released, it means there is a problem in a circuit. Have your vehicle checked by your delaer.

Your vehicle does exactly as in the above so does mine.
It goes off when the parking brake is released. if it stays on after releasing the parking brake then you have a problem.

Welcome to the forum

Old 05-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks so much for your help! Not only am I a new Fit owner but I'm a new car owner as well... I just finished university and the Fit is my first car... so I apologize for my "newbie" question... lol

Old 05-05-2009, 01:21 AM
5 Year Member
I would assume you didnt have HID installed on your car? If you have HID bi-xenon installed on your car and running DRL with it, the DRL light may turn on.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:09 AM
what you described is exactly how the DRL is suppose to function.

When you first start the vehicle, the DRL system senses a "problem" because the vehicle is on, but the DRLs are not lit up yet. That's because the DRL is also wired to the parking brake lever. Once you put down the parking brakes for the first time after ignition, the DRLs are activated, and the system senses no "problem" anymore, and the light on the dash shuts off.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:30 PM
thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by j5ive
what you described is exactly how the DRL is suppose to function.

When you first start the vehicle, the DRL system senses a "problem" because the vehicle is on, but the DRLs are not lit up yet. That's because the DRL is also wired to the parking brake lever. Once you put down the parking brakes for the first time after ignition, the DRLs are activated, and the system senses no "problem" anymore, and the light on the dash shuts off.
i just had an "ah-ha" moment after reading this reply... it all makes sense now! thanks to everyone who replied and tried to help me out... i just get so paranoid about every little thing with this car since it's my first one and all... lol. this forum has helped me SOOO much! thanks again for all your replies!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
all u have to do is pull the fuse labeled DRL and then all problems will go away lol

Old 03-21-2011, 01:10 PM
So in a Canadian model - parking brake engaged, headlights off, ignition on, DRL light should be on?

Old 03-21-2011, 03:57 PM
Canadian model

Originally Posted by Brodieman69
So in a Canadian model - parking brake engaged, headlights off, ignition on, DRL light should be on?
Yup, you are correct! If you are in park, and the parking brake is up, then start the car, you will see the the DRL light on the dash, however your headlights are off. When you put the parking brake down, the DRL dash light goes off, and your daytime headlights come on.