1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

TPMS Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 07:25 PM
TPMS Light

Hello-

I'm a happy owner of a 2008 Fit. A couple of days ago I had two new front tires installed along with a front-end alignment. All was well until driving on the highway yesterday, I noticed my TPMS light on. I had to look in the manual to see what that even stood for I've been doing dome reading up on it and I'm still not sure if this is a big deal. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there some sort of "switch" that can turn the tire pressure sensor back on? I'm assuming that since they're new tires, that the pressure is accurate- anybody have any advice?

Old 07-17-2011, 07:48 PM
People who install tires often don't get the pressure right- first check the pressure, if it's the proper amount (what it says in the car, not what's on the tire) then maybe they broke a sensor- they should figure it out, whoever installed the tires.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jennag
Hello-

I'm a happy owner of a 2008 Fit. A couple of days ago I had two new front tires installed along with a front-end alignment. All was well until driving on the highway yesterday, I noticed my TPMS light on. I had to look in the manual to see what that even stood for I've been doing dome reading up on it and I'm still not sure if this is a big deal. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there some sort of "switch" that can turn the tire pressure sensor back on? I'm assuming that since they're new tires, that the pressure is accurate- anybody have any advice?

When you change tires the TPMS sensor is deactivated so you'll have to go to a Honda dealer to have it 'turned on'. The sensor has a built-in signal minimum of 28 psig so that if the pressure falls below that the 'alarm' light is triggered.
Its your government 'helping you out'.
PS most dealers do it for free, but some don't because they don't give a damn about customer satisfaction. If you're charged be sure to complain to Honda offices in CA

Old 07-20-2011, 06:39 PM
Thanks!

Thanks you guys for the advice- I took it back to the garage, they re-checked the tire pressure and all was fine. It turns out that they also replaced the tire sensor and assumed that it would automatically reset itself. My mechanic then called the dealership and confirmed that they have a special tool to reset it. Since my mechanic doesn't have this tool, I'll be going to the dealership. Thanks again for the input

Old 07-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
for future reference (!) means the tire pressure is low in one or more tires. TMPS means there is something wrong with the system.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Jennag
Thanks you guys for the advice- I took it back to the garage, they re-checked the tire pressure and all was fine. It turns out that they also replaced the tire sensor and assumed that it would automatically reset itself. My mechanic then called the dealership and confirmed that they have a special tool to reset it. Since my mechanic doesn't have this tool, I'll be going to the dealership. Thanks again for the input
+reps to you - You did the right thing. I'm sure your dealer will do a free reset. Wonder why the tire guys replaced the sensor.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:39 AM
dko
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
+reps to you - You did the right thing. I'm sure your dealer will do a free reset. Wonder why the tire guys replaced the sensor.
if they weren't careful when removing the tire it's very easy to damage the sensor. the blade on the tire removal machine or leveraging the tire off with irons near the valve stem both make short work of the sensor. quick video about it