General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Tire pressure amd TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Tire pressure amd TPMS

Last week I noticed that my TPMS light was on and then checked the pressure. It was a bit low so I added about 3lb of air. The TPMS light went out and then it came on again, so I added pressure to 40PSI and the light has not come on since. Anyone else noticed that if you get below 32PSI that the light jumps on?

Old 08-04-2008, 02:40 PM
My light never came on and one of my tires was LOW like 28psi. Maybe I have a defective sensor on that wheel ;/

Old 08-04-2008, 03:25 PM
Was it the TPMS light or the low tire pressure light? (Each has their own indicator).

My low tire pressure indicator light (the yellow one- looks like a flat tire with an exclamation point in the middle) came on this morning- had to pull over and look in my manual because I wanted to confirm what the symbol was. The TPMS light did not come on, only the tire pressure indicator light. I checked the pressure and sure enough, they were all reading between 30-32. It's been very hot the past week or so, but this morning it was nice and cool- that's what tripped the indicator light on as the pressure decreased significantly all around due to the lower temps.

As soon as I bumped up the pressure, the light went back off. I'm guessing if your 'TPMS' light went on it would indicate an issue with the actual sensors, but I haven't had any issues yet to confirm this. That's what my Honda mechanic told us during new-car class provided at the dealership. (yeah, I know, but it was free and very informative, plus got free touch-up paint for attending).

Have you recently had your tires and/or wheels changed? Anybody mess with the sensors at all?

Old 08-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Fitzy
Was it the TPMS light or the low tire pressure light? (Each has their own indicator).

My low tire pressure indicator light (the yellow one- looks like a flat tire with an exclamation point in the middle) came on this morning- had to pull over and look in my manual because I wanted to confirm what the symbol was. The TPMS light did not come on, only the tire pressure indicator light. I checked the pressure and sure enough, they were all reading between 30-32. It's been very hot the past week or so, but this morning it was nice and cool- that's what tripped the indicator light on as the pressure decreased significantly all around due to the lower temps.

As soon as I bumped up the pressure, the light went back off. I'm guessing if your 'TPMS' light went on it would indicate an issue with the actual sensors, but I haven't had any issues yet to confirm this. That's what my Honda mechanic told us during new-car class provided at the dealership. (yeah, I know, but it was free and very informative, plus got free touch-up paint for attending).

Have you recently had your tires and/or wheels changed? Anybody mess with the sensors at all?
It was the TPMS light. It has yet to come back on since I added pressure to 40PSI.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pacedog
Last week I noticed that my TPMS light was on and then checked the pressure. It was a bit low so I added about 3lb of air. The TPMS light went out and then it came on again, so I added pressure to 40PSI and the light has not come on since. Anyone else noticed that if you get below 32PSI that the light jumps on?
TMPS system? oh that little dash board blinker I covered up with tape.
The signal that sets off the warning has a variation of 4 to 6 psi. You can't strictly compare one to another.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by trancedsailor
My light never came on and one of my tires was LOW like 28psi. Maybe I have a defective sensor on that wheel ;/
i start to have that feeling too, i need to check mine today

Old 08-07-2008, 04:41 PM
5 Year Member
I was just reading in the 08 service manual that the low pressure light will only come on if pressure is below 25psi, and the TPMS light only comes on once the vehicle has been driven over 28mph (I forget the specific amount of time or distance it mentioned, i will look again tonight and update this post).

The manual also states, since it has been mentioned here a few times, that rotating tires will not cause the system to throw a light or anything, it will work as normal.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Rod2Rice
The manual also states, since it has been mentioned here a few times, that rotating tires will not cause the system to throw a light or anything, it will work as normal.

Just adding to what he posted...

Had my tires rotated on Monday and have drivin over 900 miles since then (Wichita Falls TX to San Antonio TX and back)... no TPMS light here.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:13 AM
5 Year Member
I was also all ready to buy a tool for programming new sensors, but it turns out that Honda made it that you need a special tool to do it, that hooks to the diagnostic port first, so any universal type too seems to be out of the question. Too bad cause the one I was going to get, while a bit pricey, was not all that bad.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:40 AM
I took out my TPMS when I dismounted my stock tires. When I put the sensors in my cup holder and drove, it gave me a low pressure light. I disconnected the batteries and reconnected when I did idle learning procedure. All I see now is the TPMS light.

Now for the big question. I wonder if I can find a container that supports 32+ PSI. So I can drill holes and put the TPMS in somehow and ride around making the car think that there's 32 PSI in the tire. Will it work?

Also, unfortunately, I couldn't install the stock TPMS on my aftermarket rims because the valve stems size are different than the stock.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:14 AM
5 Year Member
Mine was on the first day i bought my 08 FIT. I looked it up in the manual and found out it should not be there. But i did not even check the tire pressure. Why its covered under warranty i just bought the car so i just took it in and they took care of it for me