1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Random TPMS light. (not squishy tire)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 05:44 AM
Random TPMS light. (not squishy tire)

Squishy Tire Exclamation light came on the other night. 2008 Fit Sport, 94k miles. nail in left front tire. plugged with kit from Advance. light went away. next afternoon, TPMS light came on. decided to take it into work yesterday. half way to work light went off... cool. i "fixed" it! on the way home, light came back on.. turned off after i hung out at race track for an hour. turned on when i came home. is there any way to pull the code to be able to figure out how much i'm going to be hosed for? because if it's just a bad sensor i can get it online cheaper than the honda dealer.. they quoted me $54 for diagnoses and worst case scenario, $230 to replace one sensor.. labor included.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:14 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Maybe check the tire pressure if you haven't already?

Old 03-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
The pressure can be on the fence of setting off the warning, so temperature changes from driving or weather can lower/raise pressure enough to give you the TPMS light. Perhaps. I don't know, I don't have TPMS.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:22 PM
no offense, but i'd appreciate it if you'd actually read the post.. and if you don't have it, don't offer suggestions.

i said that it WAS NOT the squishy tire.. which would be low pressures..

Old 03-30-2012, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by E-AT_me
no offense, but i'd appreciate it if you'd actually read the post.. and if you don't have it, don't offer suggestions.

calm down... the tire plugger might have hit the sensor when inserting the plug tool.

It's going to be expensive as youll need to get the new sensor programmed to the car's brain. dealers will rape you in most cases if not, luck you.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
Hmm. Are you saying the light on your dash says "TPMS" and not "(!)"?

Also. What kind of plug did you use? Tpms may have been damaged from that.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:15 AM
correct. states "tpms" not (!).. plug isn't anywhere near tpms. the only thing i could think of is maybe the rubber cement that is used with the plug got into it. i thought it was weird that it is intermittent..

Old 03-31-2012, 05:40 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by E-AT_me

Damnnnnn girl. I did read your post. You can't make up your own terms and expect people to read your mind. WTF is "squishy tire," this isn't Sesame Street.

Just asked you to check your tire pressures because you sound like a noob.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:50 AM
wtf do you think "squishy tire" is?? "squishy tire exclamation point" light would be the light that comes on that looks like a flat tire with an exclamation point... seemed pretty self explanatory..

this would be why i stated "TPMS" light instead of the flat tire..

noob your face..

Old 03-31-2012, 05:51 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Yes you win. You worded it perfectly. Your squishy tire exclamation point light needs fixing.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 AM
SQUISHY TIRE!!!!... no, it's the other one.. that says there is something wrong with the system.. just wondering if i could pull codes.. that's all. i don't want to pay the $54 diagnostic fee.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
Then don't pay the fee...have them just replace the sensor. What are the odds that it is a different sensor that is now malfunctioning?

Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 AM
1 in 4. or could be the control module. or rf receivers.. if i knew which sensor, then i could take it to my friend, buy a new sensor myself and only have to pay to have it reprogrammed instead of paying diagnostics, tire dismount, sensor dismount, new sensor, tire re-mount, tire/wheel re-balance, reprogramming. saving probably $100 in the process. whatever. i'll just take it in.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Let us know. But I'm betting it's the sensor in the tire you patched.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:08 AM
5 Year Member
Check around with local tire shops/garages. The newest update we got on our Snap On scan tool will pull TPMS codes from our Hondas, then I had to buy a $300 tool to reprogram the system in conjunction with the scan tool (my TPMS light was on, dead sensor). But any reasonably modern tire shop/garage should be able to do all this, and probably will do it cheaper than the dealer. Also retail price for a TPMS sensor (at least for an '08) from the dealer was only $30.25. Hope this helps!

Old 03-31-2012, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Have you checked air pressure in all the tires in cold conditon. .i.e. you are parked for few hours?

(Quote from web pages)
What exactly does it mean when my TPMS warning light comes on?
If the TPMS warning light comes ON and flashes ON for one second and OFF for three seconds, this indicates a malfunction with the vehicle's TPMS system.
If the TPMS warning light comes ON and stays ON, take caution. This means that one or more of your tires may have a low-pressure condition. You should carefully slow the vehicle and park in a safe and secure place. You should then inspect all of your tires and check the air pressure. The correct air pressure for your vehicle can be found on the placard, usually located on the inside door panel. Read more about what to do when you see the TPMS warning light.

Why does tire pressure change?
Many factors affect tire pressure including ambient temperature changes and tire damage such as punctures. Tire pressure drops about 1 psi for every 10°F drop in ambient temperature. Additionally, tires can lose as much as 1.5 psi per month as air escapes the tire and rim naturally.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:04 PM
I had the same after a sensor was replaced by a tire shop. It required a dealer visit to reprogram. $85 charge.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:56 PM
hasn't came back on since. meh. i'll worry about it if it comes back on..

Old 12-06-2013, 10:38 AM
5 Year Member
I now have TPMS "system fault" light on my '09 Fit after treating a slow leak with "tire pressure sensor safe" tire stop-leak! My guess is that the goop used to fix my slow leak and the nail you picked-up has wiped-out a sensor. With the Fit now 4+ years old and over 50K miles I will implement a 2-part fix: 1) put a piece of black electrical tape over the TPMS light on the dash and 2) Revert to my pre-Fit TPMS system - that is me checking the tire pressure more frequently with my trusty Victor dial tire gage!
I use a Scangage II on my Fit to monitor milage in "real time" and it is extremely sensitive to tire pressure! As soon as a tire drops to below 35psi I see a big drop in gas milage and that cues me to check the tires! Save the $ it would take to fix the TPMS and use it to buy a Scangage II - only around $170 and it gives you multiple gage functions, trip computer outputs (much more accurate gas milage values than the Honda Eco Meter!), and OBD-II Dx capabilties...