1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Car Trouble / Possible Trade in Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Car Trouble / Possible Trade in Question

Hello Fit Freaks!

I have had this issue for a bit but for some reason my oil is leaking and I don't know where. After I change my oil, the maintenance reminder will go back to 0% after a few months then I checked my oil and it was barely at suitable level. A year ago I had to have my cat converter replaced (luckily still under warranty) and it still strongly smells like gas after starting her up in the morning. She is about to hit 100,000 miles in a few months and I'm debating trading her in and my other Buick Lacrosse for another car (possible Subaru Legacy hatch).

Should I take her to a shop to see where the oil is going? How much will that cost? Thanks for reading. Any questions/suggestions?

Old 01-23-2015, 02:11 PM
s0x
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitEd
Hello Fit Freaks!

I have had this issue for a bit but for some reason my oil is leaking and I don't know where. After I change my oil, the maintenance reminder will go back to 0% after a few months then I checked my oil and it was barely at suitable level. A year ago I had to have my cat converter replaced (luckily still under warranty) and it still strongly smells like gas after starting her up in the morning. She is about to hit 100,000 miles in a few months and I'm debating trading her in and my other Buick Lacrosse for another car (possible Subaru Legacy hatch).

Should I take her to a shop to see where the oil is going? How much will that cost? Thanks for reading. Any questions/suggestions?
Rear main seal possibly?

Old 01-23-2015, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FitEd
Hello Fit Freaks!

at 100k its not unusual for oil leaks in the head gasket which means no signs of oil drips on the floor. If you rev to 2000, 3000, and 4000 rpm and suddenly release the accelerator does the exhaust show a blue tint? if it does your oil is dissappearing thru the combustion chamber.
go see a dealer to trade in on a newer car and see if they catch it - most aoppraisers do that test -and see what the trade is. PS there are commercial oil gasket leak sealers avaialable at aftermarket auto stoes but its just a shorttime solution. as we have found often long enough to get thru a new car trade, much to our chargrin ! another test is checking the spark plug electrodes - black coating is a sure sign and could identfy where the leak is.
good luck.
ps have you looked at plugs? a tiny leak may not fecy exhuast yet - but the plug will know it soon.

Last edited by mahout; 01-25-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:51 PM
Thank you very much for the reply. I did this test a few times with my sister but the exhaust stays white. No change in color at all.