2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control for 09 Fit 5MT

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Cruise control for 09 Fit 5MT

Hello everyone. My mom bought an 09 Honda Fit base model automatic and it doesn't have cruise control. I was told that Honda does not offer a dealer installed cruise. Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket system that would work for her car? I haven't had any luck online so far. Thank you for any infoformation.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:07 AM
5 Year Member
one for city, two combined for hwy.

So is your mom's car an auto or manual?
doing some research, $300 is not a fun price to pay...and that's for GD.
http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com...out_custom.xsl

Last edited by mole177; 10-09-2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:09 AM
5 Year Member
Cruise control doesn't come on the base model.

Only way I can think of is to find a crashed '09 Fit Sport and salvage the CC from that, but of course since the '09 just came out your chance is slim. I find it that its a pain to wire CC on a non-cruise controlled car.

Last edited by Neebs; 10-09-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member
^ OP already knows that... he's looking for aftermarket.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:11 AM
The Canadian LX model has cruise. It seems like it should be possible to add it to the USDM base model since it is basically the same as the Canadian LX model. So perhaps the wiring is already there, and you just have to add the parts, or at least that would be nice.

Last edited by toronado455; 10-09-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by toronado455
I think the Canadian base model has cruise. In which case it seems like it should be possible to add it.
No. I don't think the DX has cruise but the LX and Sport does.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:34 AM
Sorry I can't recommend one, but the Sport model has crusie control included, so it should be available OEM somehow--even if it is in replacement parts. Just a note, but the steering wheel on the Sport is different than the base model, that might be a problem...

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Sorry, in the subject i said manual but it is an auto. I like the brick idea, or i could bring along sticks of varying lengths and wedge between the accelerator and the seat.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by mole177
one for city, two combined for hwy.

Three for WFO ...

Old 10-09-2008, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lj.amundson
Hello everyone. My mom bought an 09 Honda Fit base model automatic and it doesn't have cruise control. I was told that Honda does not offer a dealer installed cruise. Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket system that would work for her car? I haven't had any luck online so far. Thank you for any infoformation.

There's a good reason, the internal wiring is not present to just 'add-on' a cruise control circuit. Sorry.

Years ago there was a company in Laurinburg, NC (Rossin?)that claimed to have an add-on CC BUT IT DID NOT FUNCTION IN THE ONE A CUSTOMER BROUGHT US TO INSTALL. tHEY'RE CLOSE ENOUGH THAT WE TALKED FACE-TO-FACE BUT DIDN'T RESOLVE THE PROBLEMS. wITH TODAYS COMPUTER SYSTEMS i DOUBT YOU'LL BE ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH THAT; CERTAINLY IT'LL COST AS MUCH OR MORE THAN JUST BUYING A sPORT MODEL. I apologize for the caps; they aren't meant but would take too long to redo.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
Base Fit Cruise

Try Rostra. The new kit works fine (but isn't trivial to install).

Old 12-19-2008, 11:21 PM
5 Year Member
Not to knock on you or your mom, but I never understand why anyone would opt for the base and then try and buy/install those items standard on the Sport. You'll end up paying as much or more than the Sport trying to acquire 1 feature standard on the Sport. Not to mention, when it comes time to trade/sell the car, the aftermarket add ons won't count in the resale.

But anyway, I don't know the answer to your question, sorry.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
Not to mention that adding aftermarket cruise is just a bad idea imo.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:35 PM
5 Year Member
Why a base fit?

I got a base model because there wasn't a Sport available when I needed a car. I figured it was "close enough".

For keyless entry and cruise I've spent $400. Once I add in time it's about a wash with buying a Sport. If I had to do it again I'd somehow find a Sport, but then if I had to do it again I could do both the cruise control install and keyless installation in an hour or so.

In any case, the Rostra is a decent way to go. If I can figure out how to interface the factory buttons it'll even look factory....

As for resale, Rostra IS the factory solution on Scions, and as long as it works I doubt anybody will complain too much.

Last edited by Zaphod; 12-19-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Virtual
Not to mention that adding aftermarket cruise is just a bad idea imo.

There is nothing wrong with aftermarket electronic cruise controls. Most are superior electronics to stock. They are just as safe.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:38 PM
Rostra cruise on 2009 Fit

I saw a poster say the install is not trivial for this product, and I certainly agree with that. So far I have about 8 hours in it and it still doesn't work. Isolating the VSS wire at the fuse box connector was difficult, so I pulled the radio and used the VSS feed to that. Fortunately I have the Honda service manual so I could find the correct wire (blue - pin 15 on the 24-pin connector, if anyone needs it - there are 3 blue wires in the connector)
The throttle connections are no longer plug-and-play, and the "new and improved" taps provided are awkward to use and some had to be re-done to get continuity. I ended up using crimp connectors on the throttle interface.
To put this in perspective, I have done body and trim, as well as light mechanical work on autos for 30 years, and working under the dash, while never pleasant, is not a huge challenge for me - except this one. Another poster in another thread said he does electronics installations and he wouldn't wish the Fit on any installer. I have to agree. A full-sized person will find it difficult to reach many of the spaces required.
Posters have mentioned Rostra tech support is very good, so I expect a satisfactory resolution, but I'll need to take a day off to get with them during the week.
I have calmed down a bit now, so I will go re-check all my connections and try again. Operator error is still the most likely cause...

Old 05-16-2010, 12:31 AM
5 Year Member
Maybe a better question is will you have warranty issues installing an aftermarket CC? You should talk to Honda just be on the safe side.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Savoring the sweet taste of success

Called tech support at Rostra. Excellent service. Turns out the VSS wire into the radio has different resistance/voltage/values than the elusive gray wire in the fuse panel connector. It won't work for the cruise. The tech directed me to the online instructions which are in color. I printed it out and it really helped identify which of several gray wires was the correct one. After connecting the elusive gray wire, everything worked fine. Unfortunately, had I made pix of the install, I don't think there would be much value over the pix on the Rostra site in color.
If anyone wants to go with this cruise, mine's a 2009 base Fit, and you have any issues, feel free to PM me. I'll be glad to go over my issues and solutions.
Going to Wine Country tomorrow and it will be a treat to have the cruise on the freeway.