2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about xxr wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 11:59 AM
question about xxr wheels?

First, I know this should be the in GE specific wheel and tire thread but half the time its dead over there.

I want to buy xxr wheels, but im not sure what kind
i like the 002's 16"x8" bolt: 4x100 +0 Or +15 offset i think

here is the questions lol

Ordering Tanabe DF210's late next week

what should my set up be with the xxr's and drop to get no rub, and even with a solid set up what about having 4 people in the car? safe? how about highway driving?

do the xxr require anything special? ie lugs, spacers. hub rings, etc.

i know pimpfit has xxrs on eibach sportlines...

last are xxr nice wheels? experiences please share

sorry so long, thanks in advance, overall goal is to get a clean / semi-flush look lol

Old 07-29-2010, 12:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kevinkidstar138
First, I know this should be the in GE specific wheel and tire thread but half the time its dead over there.

I want to buy xxr wheels, but im not sure what kind
i like the 002's 16"x8" bolt: 4x100 +0 Or +15 offset i think

here is the questions lol

Ordering Tanabe DF210's late next week

what should my set up be with the xxr's and drop to get no rub, and even with a solid set up what about having 4 people in the car? safe? how about highway driving?

do the xxr require anything special? ie lugs, spacers. hub rings, etc.

i know pimpfit has xxrs on eibach sportlines...

last are xxr nice wheels? experiences please share

sorry so long, thanks in advance, overall goal is to get a clean / semi-flush look lol

Any wheel with offset LESS than 45 mm is risky, by 40 mm its virtually guaranteed to rub. Especially dropped.
Any wheel more than 7" rim width has no advantage whatsoever and is quite likely to cost perrformance and mpg due to extra weight. Tire weight counts more than wheel weight. Heavier the worse it is.
Here are favorites on 7" wheels.:
205/50x15 especially dropped 1"
205/45x16
195/40x17

Old 07-29-2010, 01:16 PM
I beg to differ. I have a GE8 with XXR 501s, 15x8 +15mm offset and I'm lowered on Eibach Sportlines, I have MINIMAL rub in the rear, only on the worst bumps. The suspension just doesnt compress enough to rub. Tires are 195/50. Still have full steering, no modification to fenders/quarters/fender liners.

Not sure why most Honda owners are so afraid of offset.. With 16x8 +15 you would probably want to roll the quarters. With 16x8 +0 offset you would most definitely need to roll.

XXR wheels are cheap, cheap wheels, made only to drive on and look shiny. As far as performance goes they are pretty heavy (my 15s are 15lbs each). But I doubt a fit could break a wheel from tracking or power lolll. But they are also 100 bucks each give or take, so if you break one on a pothole you won't cry.

Name:  IMG00284-20100724-2033.jpg
Views: 2806
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  IMG00292-20100724-2037.jpg
Views: 1905
Size:  45.8 KB

Last edited by AcousticAudio; 07-29-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Also pimpfits wheels are 16x8 +20mm. If you were getting 16s I would not go less then +20mm unless you are prepared to modify the fenders/quarters.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:59 PM
My math suggests and to what i've read... It's a definite rub. It has been noted that a 7 wide +42 offset is as far as safe go without fender roll anything beyond when dropped needs fender mod and or camber mod.

As for weight... I still consider a 1:1 ratio (inch:lbs) to be on the light side.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:03 PM
I have 16x7 +40 rotas with the stock 188/55. And for the front I wouldnt go any bigger or change up the offset. Im lowered on dropzones. They rub ever soo slightly over hard bumps. And besides any bigger and they would stick out past the fenders. That look is bad unless you like the late 80's hopper/lowrider look. However I am running a 5mm spacer on the rear and am going to change that out for a 15mm. Just to bring the lip of the wheel flush with the fender. The only reason I am doing this is so that it looks balanced with the front fenders. I am also going to be swapping out for a full coil over suspension so I can get more adjustment. the back sits alil high for my liking.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:09 PM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Maybe your sport models are different some how but I have no rub with no modification to the fenders or camber. As I say I could probably use a tiny bit of camber in the back, but it rubs so rarely that I don't even think I need to bother. On top of that when it does rub, it rubs on the stretched sidewall, not the tread. I inspect it every day and the worst I've seen is a bit of tire shine on my quarters. In the front, its never touched.

Anyways this is just my experience with wheel fitment on the GE8. You guys all have your own opinions, I'm just sharing what I've found. Take from it what you will.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:06 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by AcousticAudio
On top of that when it does rub, it rubs on the stretched sidewall, not the tread.
and you think that's a good thing???

Old 07-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Yes I do think that deflecting the force away from the quarter by contacting the angled sidewall is better then driving all the force straight up and into the quarter with flat tread, thanks for asking. Obviously neither is ideal but as I mentioned earlier it rubs so rarely that I'm not going to bother rolling and potentially damaging my quarters/fenders. Yes I'm experienced with rolling, I've used the eastwood professional roller on my previous turbo civic. Not worth the hassle. If anything, ill spend 70$ on some camber shims+bolts and that will be plenty of clearance.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:04 AM
5 Year Member
with 8" wide rims that most of you are running, you will be running stretch rims meaning that the sidewall is not going to be as tall as if you are running a 7" rim with a 195/205 tire.

The angled / stretched sidewalls make a big difference in terms of clearing the fender. If you look closely, with a 16 by 8s +20 offset, the edge of the rim is all the way outside the car but the stretched tire makes the contact tread area inside the fender which helps with the rubbing issue.

If you run 16 by 8s +20 offset with 235 tires, meaning there's no tire stretching, I bet when the springs compress, the tire will hit the fender dead on.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:12 AM
Originally Posted by AcousticAudio
Also pimpfits wheels are 16x8 +20mm. If you were getting 16s I would not go less then +20mm unless you are prepared to modify the fenders/quarters.
im actually gonna work on my fenders soon and drop the car a little more

Old 07-31-2010, 06:36 PM
pimpFit with the xxrs you have now, do you rub ever? do you ever have a packed car i.e. like 4 people?

Im getting tanabe df210 and you have the pro kit believe, which is near the same drop

are they xxrs solid, where did you pick yours up

Old 08-01-2010, 04:49 AM
pimpFit with the xxrs you have now, do you rub ever? do you ever have a packed car i.e. like 4 people?

Im getting tanabe df210 and you have the pro kit believe, which is near the same drop

are they xxrs solid, where did you pick yours up
i have the sportlines. the sportlines have a 2inch drop vs the 1.3 inch drop of the prokit i believe. if you are getting less than a 2in drop then you shouldnt have any rubbing issues at all.

on occasion i do get wheel rub when the car is packed with people... but its not a constant rub. it only happens when im going over a lot of bumps or a sudden drop and its only a quick "scuffing" sound that u hear.

the XXRs are pretty "solid" if u want to say that. im not sure how the hell people break rims or damage them so quickly. the only way i can possibly see a rim breaking or getting damaged is if you decide to go drifting at 90mph into a curb... and i can see that happening to any rim whether it be a ROTA, BBS, ADVAN, SSR, XXR or whatever. The condition of a car all depends on the driver. Drive like shit... your car will end up like shit. Drive like a normal human being... AVOID big ass potholes, dont drive 40mph over a speedbumps and you shouldnt have a problem.

you can find the rims at NLMOTORING.com

the rims are XXR 521's. NLMOTORING is the only place that sells these rims since they are the ones that worked with XXR to come up with the design for them so they have exclusive rights to the 16 inch version of the wheel

hope this helps!

Last edited by PimpFit15; 08-01-2010 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:07 PM
yea that helps a lot!

thanks so much

last one is what size tires? are they stretched?

Old 08-02-2010, 03:36 AM
yea that helps a lot!

thanks so much

last one is what size tires? are they stretched?
205/45/16

not stretched... but u can tell that they are slightly smaller than whats suppose to be on there.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:13 AM
think you could go any bigger without rub?

Old 08-02-2010, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
U need stretched tires if wanna go lower , and they will look a lot better , but don't got with 0 offset

Old 08-02-2010, 06:28 PM
are stretched tires ok for highway driving fitdeez? i do a lot of driving every week and most is highway...thanks

Old 08-02-2010, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
are stretched tires ok for highway driving fitdeez? i do a lot of driving every week and most is highway...thanks

• Tires mounted on too narrow rims or too wide rims are just an expression of silliness. Check tirerack.com tire specs to find the correct rim range for a given tire. Making tires take cross sections never intended by their designers isn't good for wear or performance. Or safety.
  • When you can't go, chrome it.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:42 AM
i wouldnt do stretched for everyday and a lot of driving. its gonna put a lot of wear and tear on the outer edges of the tire and u can have a surprise blowout on the fwy

Quick Reply: question about xxr wheels?