2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

honda remote starter - need to bypass key entry for disabled driver

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 02:45 PM
5 Year Member
honda remote starter - need to bypass key entry for disabled driver

Hello folks... looks like I'm not the first to be disappointed with Honda's Remote Starter.

My husband recently had Honda’s Remote Starter installed in my 2009 Honda Fit Sport as a surprise birthday gift for me

The need for a remote starter stems from my mobility disability. I used a wheelchair and a service dog. I mainly needed the starter to be able to start my car to cool it down for my service dog.

But I also have a more pressing need for the remote starter. Right now, to start my car, I have to sit in my wheelchair at the driver’s side door and reach under the steering column to put the key into the ignition and start the car.

Having a remote starter would eliminate this uncomfortable and difficult position that I need to put myself in to start my car.

So, imagine my disappointment when I get to the dealer to pick up my car with my birthday present remote starter installed, and I find out I cannot open the car after the car has been remotely started (and leave it running)!!

Here I was, I had just started the car with the remote. Nice. Then I wheeled up to the car to load my service dog and wheelchair. I put my key in the hatch lock, turn the key, and the car stops running!

I found out then that this starter system is completely useless for me. In order to keep the car running while I load my service dog and wheelchair, I will still have to start the car via the ignition, reaching around the steering column with the key, and turning it on.

I did read up on this starter, and had no realization that it was configured this way. I never suspected this would be the case.

I fully understand the security aspect of this “feature” but I desperately need to have this device rewired/reconfigured/reengineered to bypass this.

I need to be able to remotely start my car, open the hatch (or any other door) to load my service dog, wheelchair, and other items, get into the driver’s seat. Once I’m seating in the driver’s seat, I can then restart the car with the key in the ignition.

If this “feature” cannot be disabled, I will need to have this item uninstalled from my car. I have been looking around online and there are other remote starters available that do not have this limitation.

Has anyone done this, bypassed the device’s auto turn-off if you put a key in the door/hatch lock to unlock?

Please help!
Thanks all!
Lisa W.