2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fan speed control malfunction + losing A/C. Hmmmmm

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Fan speed control malfunction + losing A/C. Hmmmmm

Hey, an pointers would be great- the fan speed control dial for the A/C only works in position 0/off and 4/high speed. Positions 1,2, and 3 are the same as 0. Not very experienced with cars but I have never seen this before. I noticed this problem about 5 hours ago and now noticing that I am losing A/C. It was cutting in and out on the way home. IDK if that can be expected considering the fan speed was at 4 the whole time?

Car is only two years old and only has 64,000 miles. I'd hate to think it is really in need of some sort of repair. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

Thanks in advance!

Old 06-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by fenixfire077
Hey, an pointers would be great- the fan speed control dial for the A/C only works in position 0/off and 4/high speed. Positions 1,2, and 3 are the same as 0. Not very experienced with cars but I have never seen this before. I noticed this problem about 5 hours ago and now noticing that I am losing A/C. It was cutting in and out on the way home. IDK if that can be expected considering the fan speed was at 4 the whole time?

Car is only two years old and only has 64,000 miles. I'd hate to think it is really in need of some sort of repair. Hopefully it is an easy fix.

Thanks in advance!
It is an easy fix, but does require a repair. Blower Motor Resistor Inop The TSB has been expanded to also include 2010s and I believe 2011s. Simple answer is take it to the dealer. If they won't fix it under warranty or goodwill, it might be worth it to ask about doing this yourself if you are moderately handy.

As for the AC cutting in and out, likely you are seeing normal behavior. The car cuts power to the ac cooling system when it needs extra power to the wheels. In most cars, there's a lot more power to spare and the ac system is a bit more substantive. For the fit it isn't so its a lot more noticeable when the compressor cuts out and it'll do it more often. Its especially noticeable with lots of extra airflow (i.e. blower on 4) and when outside air is really hot (like right now). If it does it when you do something like are getting up to speed, going up a hill, etc, then its likely normal. I also find that at a stop light there's not quite enough cooling. Generally ACs either are working or not, the quick intermittent nature of this makes me think that is the normal operation.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:39 PM
5 Year Member
Same problem! 09 Sport. Appt with dealer tomorrow. No longer true that my Fit has been problem free. 46k miles. Thanks.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:42 PM
ahh damn, it just seems like an annoying thing to have to deal with! Malraux - I read the TSB you posted, thank you very much! I am going to try to replace only the resistor, myself. I don't suspect my dealer will be willing to do this all for free for me. Plus I am just a bit neurotic about letting other people touch my car unless they are very highly trained. I currently work for a KIA dealer and while the guys that work in the shop are very talented with most things, there are some things they have done that just make me very hesitant to ever let my car be touched by someone else. Maybe I just need to get over it, idk. lol.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:32 PM
ahh damn, it just seems like an annoying thing to have to deal with! Malraux - I read the TSB you posted, thank you very much! I am going to try to replace only the resistor, myself. I don't suspect my dealer will be willing to do this all for free for me. Plus I am just a bit neurotic about letting other people touch my car unless they are very highly trained. I currently work for a KIA dealer and while the guys that work in the shop are very talented with most things, there are some things they have done that just make me very hesitant to ever let my car be touched by someone else. Maybe I just need to get over it, idk. lol.
Well, its not really the dealer's call, its Honda itself, since they are the ones paying for it. You're outside of the normal warranty @60k, but clearly this is a known and unfixed defect.

Of course, were I in your shoes, I'd do the change myself as well.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
Have you tried changing your "Cabin Filter" yet?

fenixfire077, I am not sure if you are having the same exact problem as I had last Summer, but it sounds similar. My A/C air flow got so bad, it seemed to quit blowing. I was able to fix the problem by changing the "Cabin Filter." My old filter was so "dirty" that the fan was apparently unable to drive air through it. Since replacing the filter, the A/C has been working without issues.
Before diving into the dash, try changing your Cabin Filter as well. I think it was only a $13 item that I was able to find at our local Autozone. Do it yourself, it only takes a few minutes. Honda wants $85 to do this.
Check out this link (scroll down to CABIN FILTER):
Honda Fit Forums - View Single Post - What did you do to the Fit/Jazz today
Good luck, keep us informed.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by macbuddy
fenixfire077, I am not sure if you are having the same exact problem as I had last Summer, but it sounds similar. My A/C air flow got so bad, it seemed to quit blowing. I was able to fix the problem by changing the "Cabin Filter." My old filter was so "dirty" that the fan was apparently unable to drive air through it. Since replacing the filter, the A/C has been working without issues.
Before diving into the dash, try changing your Cabin Filter as well. I think it was only a $13 item that I was able to find at our local Autozone. Do it yourself, it only takes a few minutes. Honda wants $85 to do this.
Check out this link (scroll down to CABIN FILTER):
Honda Fit Forums - View Single Post - What did you do to the Fit/Jazz today
Good luck, keep us informed.
Ah that is an interesting thing to happen! I changed my cabin filter about 30,000 miles ago. -- I just went out and checked it while I am writing this and mine seems quite clean.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Many have experienced this same exact issue - AC blower works only on high speed. Given my Fit was out of warranty I too first tried replacing only the resistor. It worked for a few days and then the new resistor blew.

After replacing both the resistor and motor, all is well.

Ordered online and the cost for both, including shipping, was right at $200.
Part numbers: (motor) 79310-TF0-G01 and (resistor) 79335-TF0-G01.

Parts are easy to replace it it takes maybe 30 minutes.

On a related note…don’t know if the motor defect has been fixed in the replacement motor so, it may happen again down the road.

Personally, I think this blower issue is BS. Honda first identified the blower motor defect in some 2009 models but, for whatever reason, apparently continued to use the same defective motor on 2010 and 2011 models as well (and possibly 2012’s?).
I would expect this type of behavior from maybe Chrysler, but not Honda.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chilis trip
Same problem! 09 Sport. Appt with dealer tomorrow. No longer true that my Fit has been problem free. 46k miles. Thanks.
No joy! Needs motor and resister. $430 Not in stock. Honda agreed to pay $300! Dealer will let me know when part is in. Thanks.