2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Train horn ??!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Question Train horn ??!!

Anyone got a train horn on there fit and if so can u show me what u used or if possible maybe a DIY or pics plz THnaks Yall !!

Old 08-07-2012, 05:35 PM
5 Year Member
Why?

My stebel nautilus is plenty loud and compact too.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
i wanted somthing louder then stock ... stebel nautilus whats that !! got video of sound

Old 08-07-2012, 05:46 PM
5 Year Member
Old 08-07-2012, 05:49 PM
5 Year Member
hmm not bad u got a DIY if Possible

Old 08-07-2012, 06:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
Did you take any install pix? What wiring updates did you need to make?

Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Fiamm El Grande horns are much louder than the stock horn without the possible failure of air horns. I also think it sounds much better than the Nautilus. There's a diy here on the forum, you need to use a relay (comes with the horn) and run a fused line to the battery. I was able to do it, and I never did a project like that before.
A train horn would be fun to use on occasion, but for use as a regular horn, it's a tad much.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Another type horn...

WARNING: Educated guesses from someone who worked with low voltage circuits over 30 years, and put air horns large and compact on multiple vehicles...but not a Fit (yet.)

When I wanted LOUD horns on my BMW ex-chp motorcycle rather than the Nautilas horn, I bought (probably a knock off) compact air horn called a "bad boy" horn from Pep Boys or a similar auto parts store. Other than ugly graphics on it it worked fine.

I installed it on two different BMW motorcycles. On the BMW bikes there were two push on connectors to the stock (wimpy) horn. Two tabs for connectors on the bottom of the Bad Boy Horn. No horn relay was needed, I had just unplugged wires from stock horn and onto air horn.

I haven't looked at the FIT horn yet...but if it has 2 wires to it, a horn like the bad boy should be a straight replacement unless you intend to lay it on for more than 5 seconds, which >might< overload things. For a reasonable short blast, shouldn't really need the relay beyond any the Fit already uses (if any), it doesn't draw much.

If there is just 1 wire to the stock Fit horn, the stock horn is probably grounded thru the mounting...many american cars do it that way. So then it might be a case of grounding 1 connector of the air horn, then using the stock horn wire for the other connector.

If you guess wrong and have the wires reversed on the Big Boy, the instant air compressor (no tank) will run in reverse, and suck air into the horn instead of blowing it out, with a feeble sound. If the sound is feeble, reverse the wires.

The bad boy goes for about $35, while the Nautilas I've usually seen for about $20 more.

One of my real-soon-now changes, after which I can give exact rather than general info.

Paul H

Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member

Old 08-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by Wafulz
Anyone got a train horn on there fit and if so can u show me what u used or if possible maybe a DIY or pics plz THnaks Yall !!
They're not on the fit.... Heres the set on my work car .

Old 08-08-2012, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CTS4MATION
They're not on the fit.... Heres the set on my work car .

Civic with shocker S4 "train horn" - YouTube
That reminds me: DO NOT add a train horn to your car if you have keyless entry. Nobody wants to hear you "check if your doors are locked" when you park your car at 3 AM. LOL

Old 08-08-2012, 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by larrymcewin
That reminds me: DO NOT add a train horn to your car if you have keyless entry. Nobody wants to hear you "check if your doors are locked" when you park your car at 3 AM. LOL
HAHA, no doubt man. My dad lives a little over a mile away and can hear it from his house...... its definitely loud.

Its a nice converstion starter when some moron cuts you off, or slams the brakes to make the turn he didnt signal for

Old 08-08-2012, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member
Nautilus comes with a standard 4-pin relay. I even reused the stock horn bolt. No cutting, no splicing, and one wire tap.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
hmmm Blue can u take a plz LOL LArry That shit would be funny locking my car lol haha

Old 08-08-2012, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
LOl Funny ass S4 horn

Old 08-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Train horn will get you a ticket in CA.

You need a compressor and a lot of room, they're huge.

If you get aftermarket air horns you should always use a relay. Stock wiring won't push enough current for two air horns, they won't be as loud as they should be.

I've used PIAA horns without a relay before and it was fine, but they're fairly small. I got some Hella Twin Tone horns for the Fit recently and they're way bigger. I will definitely be using a relay when I finally get around to installing them.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:26 PM
There is a separate horn for the keyless entry beep. It is behind the drivers headlight.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:55 PM
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Train horn will get you a ticket in CA.

You need a compressor and a lot of room, they're huge.

If you get aftermarket air horns you should always use a relay. Stock wiring won't push enough current for two air horns, they won't be as loud as they should be.

I've used PIAA horns without a relay before and it was fine, but they're fairly small. I got some Hella Twin Tone horns for the Fit recently and they're way bigger. I will definitely be using a relay when I finally get around to installing them.
They are? I have PLENTY of room in my hatch for 3 BIG lunch boxes, and tools. I have my viair 460 compressor mounted on a board with my 2gallon tank and it fits nice and tight in the back of the hatch right against the rear seats. Id say it took up a 12"x20" area.
The 4 horns are underneath the rear bumper so they take up no room at all. You can get even smaller tanks and even pancake tanks to fit everything in the spare tire area. My setup was a lil expensive because I opted for the biggest viair compressor but they can be had for around $400. Its definitely worth it .

As far as it getting you a ticket, does the entire state of Cali have the same noise ordinance? I can honk mine all day long because I live in a town w/o an ordinance...... Just check local laws. Pa law has no maximum level for a horn..... just a minimum, so im good throughout the whole state.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by CTS4MATION
They are? I have PLENTY of room in my hatch for 3 BIG lunch boxes, and tools. I have my viair 460 compressor mounted on a board with my 2gallon tank and it fits nice and tight in the back of the hatch right against the rear seats. Id say it took up a 12"x20" area.
The 4 horns are underneath the rear bumper so they take up no room at all. You can get even smaller tanks and even pancake tanks to fit everything in the spare tire area. My setup was a lil expensive because I opted for the biggest viair compressor but they can be had for around $400. Its definitely worth it .

As far as it getting you a ticket, does the entire state of Cali have the same noise ordinance? I can honk mine all day long because I live in a town w/o an ordinance...... Just check local laws. Pa law has no maximum level for a horn..... just a minimum, so im good throughout the whole state.
I guess "a lot of room" is subjective, but if you have to mount your horn equipment in the trunk, to me, that's a lot of room for some horns. Point is, you're not putting everything under the hood haha

In CA, you'll get a ticket for your muffler being too shiney
27000. (a) A motor vehicle, when operated upon a highway, shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, but no horn shall emit an unreasonably loud or harsh sound. An authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with, and use in conjunction with the siren on that vehicle, an air horn that emits sounds that do not comply with the requirements of this section.

Every cop I personally know has said will definitely cite you for a train horn, most of them think they're absolutely obnoxious and unsafe, and will find other things to cite you for in addition just for being so annoying. Disturbing the Peace, disorderly conduct, taillight out, etc etc

Old 08-09-2012, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
Dam All this for my train horn i feel loved lol Fuk the PIGS i pass but them in my eg all the time they never say shit they jsut look and smile Name:  NRHMeet2012.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  30.2 KB

Quick Reply: Train horn ??!!