2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride quality: GD3 vs. GE8

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 01:46 PM
5 Year Member
Ride quality: GD3 vs. GE8

My GD3 was totaled last weekend from a driver running a red light at high speed. Luckily no major injuries, but the front of my car was obliterated and three airbags deployed, which in my mind means totaled. Adjuster hasn't gotten back to me yet, but this is what I anticipate.

I'm out looking at GD3's and GE8's as a replacement. For someone who has experience with both - what's your assessment of ride quality improvement with the GE8?

While I loved the handling of my GD3, I took quite a few cross country trips with it, and must admit it was rather punishing on long hauls. Tire selection can help - my GD3 ride quality improved quite a bit when I switched to Michelin Defenders - but tires can only do so much.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-23-2016, 01:41 PM
5 Year Member
As someone who's GD3 was also totalled (3 airbags: seat & two side curtain=TOTALLED) I think that the GE8 seems to ride a bit smoother, but I am still on my OEM tires. It is still buzzy at RPM above 3000. I won't ever like the GE as much as I liked my GD!!

Old 01-23-2016, 05:33 PM
GD is a good car. I waited on GE to decide. The GE the is a great great car. 16in wheels, added technology, and handling made me go with GE. The added torsional regidery. Made my decision. The crash issues on GD is another negative. I wish you the best bro. Keep us posted. I will say the GD is the most "raw" of fits but the added features of the GE like navigation if you want, Bluetooth, and more may have you change your mind.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:38 PM
5 Year Member
Curious, fittmann, what are you missing about the GD3?

I'm probably not going to get much from the insurance company for an '08 Sport w/5MT and 146K, so if I'm "stepping up" to the GE8, it would be nice if it were worth the extra cost.

One thing which I don't like about the GE8's design is access to the back of the engine. I believe the GE8 has the windshield wiper motor there and needs to be taken out of the way before obtaining said access. Not so much of an issue if you don't work on your own vehicle, but I plan on doing a lot of my own maintenance.

Old 01-23-2016, 05:40 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, Desmond. I had a Pioneer head unit with navi/bluetooth/etc. on my GD3 so I wasn't so concerned about the technology upgrade - I could always slap another head unit in a GE8 if it didn't have one already.

Old 01-23-2016, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Thanks, Desmond. I had a Pioneer head unit with navi/bluetooth/etc. on my GD3 so I wasn't so concerned about the technology upgrade - I could always slap another head unit in a GE8 if it didn't have one already.
Understood. You are very welcome. If you get 2nd gen get 12-13. Much quieter than 09-11 because they added thicker glass and there is a big difference. I drove an 08 Acura TL b4 this and the cabin is just as quiet in the FIT. I have OEM navigation so I added LOC, Infinity Kappa drivers, a sub, and amps for both. Also added leather too. Makes it a much more luxurious ride for me...lol.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:28 PM
5 Year Member
Ah, that makes sense. Never hurts to have more sound insulation. Thanks.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:32 PM
Ah, that makes sense. Never hurts to have more sound insulation. Thanks.
No it doesnt... A quieter car is a a good thing. I cant complain here.

Old 01-23-2016, 08:09 PM
Sorry about your crash but I'm glad there were no major injuries.

My '12 Sport is on its second set of tires (first set lasted to around 30K, car is now at 45K) and I can't really say if it's much quieter than my friend's '08 Fit but it is NOT quiet at highway speeds. Our pavement has something to do with that, it's much quieter on fresh asphalt or concrete but it's not what I would call a quiet car except at city speeds on nice pavement.

It's an awesome car-I love it-but I wouldn't call it quiet. Ride is busy, but unless you hit huge potholes which I do from time to time, it's fine.

Last edited by The Fitness; 01-23-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:50 PM
5 Year Member
Not a huge difference between the two in terms of ride. Go with which ever you like more.

Source: Owned a GD from 2011-14 (albeit I modified it), have owned a GE from 2014 (after a struggle with a Fiesta) to the present. Additionally my wife drives a GD.

Old 01-24-2016, 09:13 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you both. I wasn't expecting a huge improvement in ride, and this confirms it.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:01 PM
I did. The GD is more raw. Because the the GE has a better chassis it indeed has a better ride at the same speed. The torsional rigidity in the GE is much better in the fit just like Honda claims the GK rides so much better that they didn't remove put a RSB on it. I like a firm ride as long as it's shocks damp good.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
Pics of wrecked car?

Old 01-25-2016, 09:15 AM
5 Year Member
Only one, this one at the tow lot. Too dangerous to take a pic at the scene.

Attached Thumbnails Ride quality:  GD3 vs. GE8-80-crumpled_fit_d4d53064500884b88b49fb11da4a65a7f1ee992b.jpg  
Old 01-27-2016, 12:39 PM
5 Year Member
So today, I test drove a '12 Sport with 44K mi., asking price $10995.

I liked it more than I thought I would. Desmond, your advice about the '12-'13 Fits was spot on. Much better sound insulation than my GD3.

I actually didn't mind the automatic, a first for me! Certainly seemed to have enough power when I tromped it. Ride quality was tighter, not as nervous as my GD3. Seats were a definite step up in comfort. I wouldn't call them plush, but better sculpted.

Now the used car dealer.....not so sure. Noticed three things when I started out on the test drive: Radio was saying "enter code." TPMS light was on, the low pressure warning symbol, not the TMPS letters I get on my GD3 when the system senses a fault (bad sensor etc.). And when I used the maintenance minder to check oil life, it registered at 10%. I know my GD3 would display the yellow wrench icon light as soon as I hit 15%. No wrench icon here....not sure why.

When I came back from the test drive and told him these things, he astounded me by saying, "I think the tire pressure system monitors the spare tire too." Huh? "Somebody told me that once." I assured him that wasn't the case.

Edit: I asked this dealer point blank if this was a salvage/rebuilt vehicle. He said he didn't know. Big time red flag.

Did a little checking on the dealer. Found out he deals in salvage and flood damaged vehicles. Lots of customers with issues.

Did a little checking on the VIN# since he didn't provide a carfax/etc or show me the title. I found the previous sale at auction in Illinois. Saw pix of the vehicle. Major damage to front end. Dealer is not to be trusted.

Last edited by bargainguy; 01-27-2016 at 02:40 PM. Reason: New info
Old 01-27-2016, 04:37 PM
I'm glad you trusted me. Now that you like the 2.5 generation FIT, go to a honda/Acura dealer to find a certified one. You'll get 100,000 warranty. Another feature I left out that's a plus for back pax that are adults. The magic seats not only fold flat into the floor but they recline an additional 2in to give them more comfortable ride while on a trip. Later get up with me on Clazzio PVC/Leather seats. I'm the Q/A rep for them on fitfreak.net. It has memory foam which adds even more comfortable seats for long drives. But I digress back. Look online for Honda or Acura dealers for certified cars. I'm glad you noticed the difference. You'll love the GE8. The GD3 will always be the raw original example (Acura Integra Type-R vs RSX-S). Keep us/me posted. If you need to contact me, feel free to call text me 9102794333 or KIK-Parasurfer1979. Anyone else on the fence between the 2 models, you're all welcome to contact me as well. I'm in "Wilmywood" Wilmington, NC but got to sleep around 0300est for my west coast family to get on Google talk (parasurfer1979@gmail.com). So again hit me up and by all means get other opinions. I'm not Jesus so don't take my opinions as the spoken word. Until your next post...

Old 01-27-2016, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks, Desmond. Obviously you know your way around the different models, so I won't hesitate to contact you if I have any questions.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
Oof, didn't realize you were in Milwaukee, I'd have given you a ride in my '12 as a semi-local.

What exactly are you looking for? I'd be happy to help with your search.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:30 PM
my wife's GD3(auto sport) beats my GE8 (manual base) in every category except gas milage and looks.

get a GE8

Old 01-28-2016, 12:07 AM
Thanks, Desmond. Obviously you know your way around the different models, so I won't hesitate to contact you if I have any questions.
Right-on. Again take in all the good posters opining here. Btw don't tell dealer you have X,XXX.XX to put down and almost look homeless. You'll get a potentially better deal lol. Don't look so bad that u look like you are about to as for a but or 2. Just look a tad disheveled, greasy hair like you didn't wash it this morning in a hurry then when you get your numbers from talking down the car and it's in writing, then go "oh btw I have X, XXX.XX to put down". Hell you may even get the number down enough to save some money for HID's etc or extra money to use around the house... ��

Quick Reply: Ride quality: GD3 vs. GE8