2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 12:40 PM
5 Year Member
I now have my loaner car. It was very smooth and done quickly.

The Fit is topped off with non-ethanol gas and fuel stabilizer. When it gets warmer,I'll give it a coat of wax and put the nasty Dunlops on it. (I don't really care if those get some flat spots if I don't move it enough.)

Old 02-29-2016, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
I have my loaner too... Big disappointment.
My Fit is a "specific purpose car". I leave my rear seats in the folded down position 100% of the time.

I bought the car for my two retired racing greyhounds. For those that don't know, grey's can stand 30" tall and most greys cannot sit like normal dogs. They sit in a "sphinx" position, or mostly lay down...

The Fit was tested with my two gals and it's been working 'greyt' for 3 hears.
The older grey, who is a 11, has a back injury, but with the fit, she could easily step into the side door or use a ramp. The younger gal is a jumper and likes to jump in.
They both like to stand while driving and or lay down in the back.
The Honda Magic Seats are PERFECT for our arrangement.

The car I've been loaned is Nissan Versa. It's like fitting two giraffes into a VW Bug.
Not sure how we're going to work with this....

For those that have large dogs the Fit is a MUST have car. Elements are popular amongst Greyhound owners... too bad they don't make that one any more.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:11 AM
5 Year Member
Well I'll take a Versa over the Yaris I have. Glad you got taken care of though. Nothing makes you appreciate something more until its gone...Geez.

I also love the magic seats and they are great in the UP position for our 8 y/o boxer to get in the rear section and just lay down on the floor. No more having to jump into a car. It's perfect.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Yes...you would still have to pay for gas. It is gas you would be buying for your car OR the loaner anyways so not sure why that is a concern.

I know the chances are slim that I have a bad airbag and I consider myself a safe driver but I cannot control other drivers on the road and what if I'm that tiny percentage with a bad airbag?

Better safe than sorry I say. Not to mention they are trying to ensure their customers safety and satisfaction.
i wrote my experience because some people seemed to have dealerships that claimed to know nothing about the recall/loaner program. surprisingly, mine did.
as for a "free" civic, if you want one, great and i am glad they gave you one. since the day i started driving, i have realized a semi truck could crush my car like a bug. no airbag is going to save anyone when a semi runs over a car. so i will keep my fit and you can be happy with the loaner.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dlivry7
i wrote my experience because some people seemed to have dealerships that claimed to know nothing about the recall/loaner program. surprisingly, mine did.
as for a "free" civic, if you want one, great and i am glad they gave you one. since the day i started driving, i have realized a semi truck could crush my car like a bug. no airbag is going to save anyone when a semi runs over a car. so i will keep my fit and you can be happy with the loaner.

The big thing to me is the fact that the fatalities and most of the injuries were caused by mild to moderate accidents (no semis involved that I am aware of) in Honda vehicles raises concerns. The link below shows the aftermath of a driver in a "moderate" accident where shrapnel went through her nose and lodged into her sinus under her eye (graphic photo). Her passenger left the accident with mild bumps and bruises (proper deployment of airbag). I'll pass on shrapnel to the face no matter how little the chance.

Senators Are Looking At A Gruesome Image Of A Takata Airbag Injury - Business Insider

This seems to be like motorcyclists who ride in shorts/tanktop/flipflops/gardening gloves/half helmet vs riding jacket/jeans/boots/riding gloves/full helmet (me). They ride thinking "it won't happen to me" or "F it, if I get by a vehicle anyways I'm toast". I'll ride minimizing the potential risk to severe injury. Sure a semi can hit me at 60mph head on and my gear won't do jack but in most instances my gear will leave me in a nonvegetative state unlike those who ride with little to no gear should I be in a freeway/decent speed accident.

It was not my intention to belittle or upset anyone, just voice why I made my decision just as you have done. This is a free country and everyone can do as they see Fit. With that said I will get off my soap box and we will just have to agree to disagree and respect one another's decisions. Hell, I may start missing my Fit so much that I may just say F-it and drive it lol

Old 03-01-2016, 05:19 PM
I just found out today that my 2011 is in the recall. I've called Honda and gotten a case number. I'll call State Farm tomorrow to see how they would handle the insurance on a loaner/rental. I will keep my car at home, and maybe just drive it in the neighborhood once a week or so to take pressure off the tires, and to keep the battery charged.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by hyperfit
I now have my loaner car. It was very smooth and done quickly.

The Fit is topped off with non-ethanol gas and fuel stabilizer. When it gets warmer,I'll give it a coat of wax and put the nasty Dunlops on it. (I don't really care if those get some flat spots if I don't move it enough.)
What kind of stabilizer did you use, and how much?

Old 03-01-2016, 06:41 PM
I just read that the NHTSA is giving dealers until December 2017 to complete repairs in all the priority groups. I don't think I could drive a loaner car for a year and a half!

Old 03-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Subscribed

Old 03-02-2016, 01:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
I just read that the NHTSA is giving dealers until December 2017 to complete repairs in all the priority groups. I don't think I could drive a loaner car for a year and a half!
I agree, but Honda is taking this very seriously.
Ford has done little... My Mustang has two recalls for the same issue.
Two because they used two types of Takata inflators. Both recalled.
It's now been almost two years, still not parts for my Stang.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:46 PM
It's really criminal, I think. Are you driving your Mustang? I'm leaning towards keeping my Fit and continuing to drive it. I just don't like the idea of having a loaner for several months.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:27 PM
It's really criminal, I think. Are you driving your Mustang? I'm leaning towards keeping my Fit and continuing to drive it. I just don't like the idea of having a loaner for several months.
That was my exact sentiment in this thread.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Nope, the Stang is the garage queen. Stored 6 months out of the year. My DD is an 08 Chevy Malibu LTZ V6, 140K miles and No recalls! And my 13 Fit Sport...
And when the Stang comes out in May, It will just go to some local cruise nights around town. It's an 05, 50K miles... and to think, 11 years and just learning of the problem in 2014! Especially in a car that one has an inclination to, lets say, er... "let her buck".

Attached Thumbnails Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit-img_6568_zps8ni17uce.jpg  

Last edited by paul_g; 03-02-2016 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Funny how some marques have taken forever to fix this issue and some have jumped on it and knocked it out.

My BMW got new front airbags like 6 months ago.
My parents GM product was fixed about the same time.
Ford seems to be dragging it out..

Old 03-02-2016, 10:34 PM
5 Year Member
I'm leaning towards keeping my Fit and continuing to drive it. I just don't like the idea of having a loaner for several months.
That was my initial thought to, but then found it not to be so wise. Another forum member helped change my mind with something he said.

It also didn't take long before "googling" takata airbag, and seeing some of the gruesome photos. Granted, I tend to not believe everything I see on the interwebs, as anyone handy with Photoshop can create anything they want. But it was enough to convince the Mrs.. that getting shrapnel to the face or body isn't worth it.

I'm curious to know if Honda is taking any Fit's back via trade, even if it's towards a top o line CRV. I've looked at the HRV, but don't see many on the road. I'm also curious if Honda reps monitor this forum like other brands do on unofficial car forums (i.e. Mustang, etc..)

I agree, having a car hang around for 6 months plus (unless properly stored) is not advantageous nor financially sound.

I'm sure everyone's family here is affected. In my newly changed opinion, not driving it is a better choice. Until I got my loaner, every time I got in the Fit, looking at the steering wheel was like looking down a loaded gun barrel. My Dad had a saying, "You can't un-ring a bell". And now I can't un-know about the potential danger.

Last edited by paul_g; 03-02-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by Odie
Agreement for keeping vehicle at home ( Click to enlarge ) :
Where can I find these forms online to print and take them to the dealer with me?

Old 03-03-2016, 10:14 AM
I'm waiting to hear from State Farm, but how are your insurance companies handling coverage of the loaner if you've decided to keep your Honda at home? Will they cover two vehicles?

Old 03-03-2016, 10:15 AM
5 Year Member
Where can I find these forms online to print and take them to the dealer with me?
I've searched high and low with no luck. Maybe your case manager can point you in the right direction. I did not have any issues getting a loaner from the dealer regardless of having that form.

Old 03-03-2016, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Call local Honda dealer service centers or call your case worker for one or more . Hopefully you'll get one .

Old 03-03-2016, 01:01 PM
My case worker implied that the forms are no longer necessary. All I have to do is sign a waiver saying I won't drive my car. I'll move it around in the driveway to keep the tires round, run the engine, etc. I guess I'll find out next week what I'll get from enterprise. I hate to stop driving a car whose history I know, and maybe in the end I'll just keep driving it, but I at least want to find out if I can get something decent and roadtrip-worthy.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit