2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 10:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
Ugh.

Had to swap my '14 Civic loaner for a rental from Enterprise b/c my dealership is ending its loaner days.

Stuck with a Hyundai Elantra....going to back tomorrow and demand something less dreadful. Its the worst modern car I've driven.
I beg to differ. I have a 2015 elantra as a rental and it is leaps and bounds better than the 2015 yaris they had in me before.

Not to mention I think I recall you saying your fiesta was the worst modern car you've driven.

I need to bring my elantra back in next friday as it'll be 30 days. hopefully they have something similar for me to drive and no yaris'

Old 03-25-2016, 05:52 PM
I still haven't received my recall notice. If I hadn't gone in for an oil change, I would still be driving my Fit----none the wiser. I see loads of them driving around town. I feel bad for those people because I believe most of them are unaware their car is under recall, therefore they don't have the choice about whether to drive it. Honda could have been much quicker about sending out recall notices.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
I beg to differ. I have a 2015 elantra as a rental and it is leaps and bounds better than the 2015 yaris they had in me before.

Not to mention I think I recall you saying your fiesta was the worst modern car you've driven.

I need to bring my elantra back in next friday as it'll be 30 days. hopefully they have something similar for me to drive and no yaris'
The Elantra displaced the Fiesta.

The Sonic I just got after returning the Elantra is 2nd worst, just below the Fiesta.

The Elantra, Sonic & Fiesta are the three worst cars I've driven made after 2006.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:05 PM
5 Year Member
They are loaners.. Is what it is.. I find it funny that Honda is still trying to ship parts and several other marques are far down the road finishing the work.. LOL Considering the number of Takata air bags in service I doubt they will get them all. BMW had to actually pull ours out to check them, because they use like 5 vendors to supply them. But it was an hour at the shop with coffee and pastry and a Xbox to entertain me.. Life sucks..

Old 03-25-2016, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
I swapped the Ford Focus 5 door for a Nissan Versa Note thanks a lot to Honda Social media team and Honda Airbag recall team. The Versa Note is a tinny econobox, but interior volume to exterior dimensions, it is the most like the Fit so I'm happy with it. The Focus was a way nicer car, but just didn't fit my life.

Here's to hoping the April fix rumors have some merit.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
When my other car got done, there was about 3 weeks of hang time, then BMW had the airbags everywhere, I suspect its just windup in the manufacturing process. Gotta imagine redesign, test, inspection, shipping,, on and on before they make it to a dealer.. But BMW did offer to deactivate the air bags while we waited but you had to sign a pretty deep liability release and put a sticker on the dash..

Old 03-26-2016, 11:41 AM
My Fit is now resting in my garage

Two nights ago I was tooling around the internet looking for info on good bike racks for the Honda Fit and stumbled on this site and this particular thread, eventually. I knew that there was the potential of a recall for my 2013 Fit so I decided to check the VIN number and sure enough! My Fit has been recalled. I contacted my dealer and they don't have room to store cars on their lot so it is now resting comfortably in my garage and I have a Chrysler 200 rental (free, of course) from Enterprise.

I miss my Fit, and after driving the Chrysler 200 for a bit, I would not recommend the to anyone. :-) Maybe I will grow to like it.

Best,
Jill

Old 03-26-2016, 11:42 AM
I should add that the part should be available next month; I sure hope so!

Originally Posted by jillinypsi
Two nights ago I was tooling around the internet looking for info on good bike racks for the Honda Fit and stumbled on this site and this particular thread, eventually. I knew that there was the potential of a recall for my 2013 Fit so I decided to check the VIN number and sure enough! My Fit has been recalled. I contacted my dealer and they don't have room to store cars on their lot so it is now resting comfortably in my garage and I have a Chrysler 200 rental (free, of course) from Enterprise.

I miss my Fit, and after driving the Chrysler 200 for a bit, I would not recommend the to anyone. :-) Maybe I will grow to like it.

Best,
Jill

Old 03-26-2016, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
I still haven't received my recall notice. If I hadn't gone in for an oil change, I would still be driving my Fit----none the wiser. I see loads of them driving around town. I feel bad for those people because I believe most of them are unaware their car is under recall, therefore they don't have the choice about whether to drive it. Honda could have been much quicker about sending out recall notices.

That would appear to create a moral liability, and I'm surprised that it does not create a legal liability, as well.

I haven't received my recall notice yet either.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx
When my other car got done, there was about 3 weeks of hang time, then BMW had the airbags everywhere, I suspect its just windup in the manufacturing process. Gotta imagine redesign, test, inspection, shipping,, on and on before they make it to a dealer.. But BMW did offer to deactivate the air bags while we waited but you had to sign a pretty deep liability release and put a sticker on the dash..
Deactivate. Why didn't I think of that?

Will Honda deactivate? Anybody know?

Old 03-26-2016, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Update, Sonic makes many weird groans under semi aggressive cornering.

WELP.

Old 03-26-2016, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member
Got the notice yester here in Los Angeles. Went to Pasadena Honda dealership and they offered enterprise car and me storing my car at my house after a write up and mileage check. But they were currently out of cars until Tuesday.

Went to Goudy Honda in Alhambra who took the car to be stored in the parking garage.
I got a nissan versa from near by enterprise.

Not sure what I think about the Versa yet, drove it only 3 miles. Going on a trip with it right now and can share feedback later.

Spent about an hour waiting for the service advisor to become available but once he got to work on it, it was only 10-15 minutes deal. Enterprise was crazy busy with other people coming from Honda with recall notices.
I could have chosen a Hyundai Accent sedan, but went for the Versa due to a safer color. I sure hope I won't have to drive it long and that the airbag is replaced quickly and professionally.
Poor Honda for having to pay such a huge bill.

Last edited by john21031; 03-26-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:12 PM
5 Year Member
Air Bag Recall...not taking chances

I understand the odds are super low that anything would happen with the defective airbag, but as a mom I cannot take a chance with my 18-year-old kid driving the car. I am going to request a loaner, but I'll be very unhappy if I can't fit my bike in the back of whatever they give me, especially if I can't get the Fit back until summer. I have races to get to.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:31 AM
my dealer said they would have the part around August for my 2013 fit

Old 03-27-2016, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
That would appear to create a moral liability, and I'm surprised that it does not create a legal liability, as well.

I haven't received my recall notice yet either.

It's incredibly irresponsible, and I do think it sets Honda up for potential lawsuits.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:52 AM
I won't know until I call, and I just got our letter yesterday about our 09 Fit, but has anyone been given a limit on the rental?

I've just seen on other threads that Honda won't pay more than $35 a day, and most of the rental prices I'm seeing are around $40 starting. Not exactly in a good spot at the moment to pay for any of this crap.

Seems like such a hassle, but I've got two smaller kids in the Fit and I don't want to mess around with the chance.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Jzybel
I won't know until I call, and I just got our letter yesterday about our 09 Fit, but has anyone been given a limit on the rental?

I've just seen on other threads that Honda won't pay more than $35 a day, and most of the rental prices I'm seeing are around $40 starting. Not exactly in a good spot at the moment to pay for any of this crap.

Seems like such a hassle, but I've got two smaller kids in the Fit and I don't want to mess around with the chance.
I think the only limit has to do with insurance, not anything Honda will pay. They've worked out a deal with Enterprise, I'm sure. Anything extra, like satellite radio, you have to pay for.
The insurance limit here is the 21 day thing, and no consecutive rentals. I will rent from Enterprise for 21 days, Honda dealer for 1 day, then Enterprise for 21---ad infinitum.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sdlsdl
I understand the odds are super low that anything would happen with the defective airbag, but as a mom I cannot take a chance with my 18-year-old kid driving the car. I am going to request a loaner, but I'll be very unhappy if I can't fit my bike in the back of whatever they give me, especially if I can't get the Fit back until summer. I have races to get to.
A racing mom. How come I never meet women like this?

Old 03-28-2016, 10:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
A racing mom. How come I never meet women like this?
From the sounds of it she races bicycles due to the concern about fitting her bike in the rental. =) Either way pretty rad.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:47 PM
Hi all. New to the forums. Just heard about the recall through a friend who got a letter in the mail. Has anyone, particularly in SoCal, been able to have the dealer store their car? I live in an apartment complex with only one parking spot for myself, so I wouldn't have room for my Fit plus a loaner.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit