2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 05:58 AM
Originally Posted by Cruatchi
like shinjari said, you can leave the battery in the car and just hook up the tender.

what do you mean by "run it for twenty minutes"? start it up and drive it for 20 mins? start it up and idle for 20 mins? If you search on the internet, some sources will say that starting a car only to idle and then shutting it back down does more harm than good as there's condensation build up.

Another thing you can do is just leave the car alone, let the battery die, then have a new battery put in when the recall is done. In this situation, you're spending money on a battery tender or a new battery.
So it's actually worse to start the car? I might drive it down to the mailbox and back....but I'll look into this. I do have access to a tender. I also want to move it just a bit regularly to keep pressure off one spot in the tires.

Old 03-05-2016, 06:00 AM
Originally Posted by hyperfit
I used "Storage". The bottle says it's compatible with Ethanol, so I think you're okay either way.
I guess it would be one bottle for the Fit, then, which has a ten gallon tank.
I'm assuming there's no way Sta-Bil can hurt the engine??

I'll just top off the gas that's in there, and use regular Ethanol. I'll be getting my rental on Tuesday.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:54 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by littleblackcar
So it's actually worse to start the car? I might drive it down to the mailbox and back....but I'll look into this. I do have access to a tender. I also want to move it just a bit regularly to keep pressure off one spot in the tires.

I'll just top off the gas that's in there, and use regular Ethanol. I'll be getting my rental on Tuesday.
Starting and stopping an engine is not the best thing, especially for cold starts, then letting it idle. It's not good on an engine.

Sta-Bil will not hurt the engine.

I posted earlier in this thread, but here is how I store my Mustang:
1.) Top off Tank (I use 93 Oct.) in my Mustang
2.) Top off Tire Pressure - go a little over, or have them nitrogen charged.
3.) Helps to do a fresh oil change if current oil is old. Don't want sludge.
4.) Marine Sta-Bil (not regular). Marine is more concentrated and you can use less. Today's gasoline breaks down quickly and moisture forms in the tank. The crappy gas + moisture = bad for engine. Follow the instructions.
5.) Look into purchasing Race-Ramps "Flat-Stoppers". These will help prevent flat spots in the tires. Rolling the car back and forth will do nothing to prevent the flat spots. It takes driving the car miles and getting the tires warm to even out the spots.
6.) Get a Battery Tender + and connect to battery, otherwise it will be dead in less than two weeks. Option; You can remove the battery from the car, but still use a tender +.
7.) (optional) Car Cover - get a good car cover if you want to keep dirt and dust off the car.
8.) Place an old sock in the tail pipe - This prevents things from crawling in there and making a nest.
9.) (Optional) Remove wiper blades - keeps the rubber from sticking to the windshield (if your blades are new and want to preserve them).
10.) Do not engage the parking brake. Corrosion on the rotors can build.
11.) Lastly, the most important, write all the steps above on a big piece of paper and tape it to your steering wheel so you can remember what you did and what you have to undo.

Hope this helps,
Cheers!

Old 03-05-2016, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member

You'll want to measure the appropriate ounces. My bottle is huge, so it's a tiny bit of the bottle. Be sure to measure it out.

Also, if you have another car that can carry the insurance to the rental, consider canceling insurance on the Fit.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by hyperfit
You'll want to measure the appropriate ounces. My bottle is huge, so it's a tiny bit of the bottle. Be sure to measure it out.

Also, if you have another car that can carry the insurance to the rental, consider canceling insurance on the Fit.
My insurance won't be covering the rental. Honda has to cover it, which is good. I'll look into the aforementioned "inactive vehicle" coverage, though.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FamilyWagon
Just spoke to honda of america. Im getting a loaner also until atleast June 2016. Im now waiting for the case manager to call me so i can get the loaner car.

I wouldnt mind driving a manual GK Fit as a loaner, doubt that'll happen though.
Are they keeping your car while you have the loaner?

What cars are not being recalled and could serve as a loaner?

The inflater is the problem. So, they have designed and engineered a new inflator as replacement part?

Old 03-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
Are they keeping your car while you have the loaner?

What cars are not being recalled and could serve as a loaner?

The inflater is the problem. So, they have designed and engineered a new inflator as replacement part?
Honda isn't getting replacement airbags from Takata, and the current manufacturer is back logged, hence the wait until late summer. Apparently the procedure for getting a car varies-----my dealer has no long-term loaners, so I'm getting the rental car from Enterprise.

I am keeping my car, but I have to sign an agreement to not drive it.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
I've now put about 1k miles on my loaner.

Has Mrs.410b rather interested in the 16 Civics, ain't mad at that.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Is there a limit on how many miles you can put on the loaner

Old 03-05-2016, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
No, no limits on my contract... now if I were planning a cross country trip, I would probably let Enterprise know...

Old 03-05-2016, 10:51 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by phenoyz
Is there a limit on how many miles you can put on the loaner
Not on mine. We just took a short road trip today, and decided to drive the loaner instead of our Prius because...the Prius could use a break.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:47 AM
What have all of you who are not driving your Fit done to/with to help it survive storage?

Old 03-06-2016, 11:24 AM
5 Year Member
Paul_G put a great list and I will follow similar steps for my storage.

My fit was washed before I parked it. It is sitting nice and cozy under the OEM car cover in the driveway. I intend to put it up on 4 jack stands to avoid flat spots on tires. Haven't looked into any long term effects on the suspension by doing that but if anyone has experience lemme know. The race flat ramps are nice but a bit costly especially considering I have 4 jack stands already.

I will most likely remove the battery to keep it on a tender, get gas stabilizer, undo the parking brake since it'll be on stands and I don't want my rear brakes to seize and I believe thats more or less it.

When the weather is nicer I will take the chance to detail the car thoroughly (clay bar, wax, polish) and keep my fingers crossed that the air bags come sooner than summer.

The rental I have now is a decent replacement (2015 elantra) but definitely miss my manual trans and being able to to whip it around corners. I will say the elantra is significantly quieter in the cabin and a very smooth ride. Makes my girlfriend want to replace her 2007 elantra (160k miles) with a new one haha.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by shinjari
Paul_G put a great list and I will follow similar steps for my storage.

My fit was washed before I parked it. It is sitting nice and cozy under the OEM car cover in the driveway. I intend to put it up on 4 jack stands to avoid flat spots on tires. Haven't looked into any long term effects on the suspension by doing that but if anyone has experience lemme know. The race flat ramps are nice but a bit costly especially considering I have 4 jack stands already.

I will most likely remove the battery to keep it on a tender, get gas stabilizer, undo the parking brake since it'll be on stands and I don't want my rear brakes to seize and I believe thats more or less it.

When the weather is nicer I will take the chance to detail the car thoroughly (clay bar, wax, polish) and keep my fingers crossed that the air bags come sooner than summer.

The rental I have now is a decent replacement (2015 elantra) but definitely miss my manual trans and being able to to whip it around corners. I will say the elantra is significantly quieter in the cabin and a very smooth ride. Makes my girlfriend want to replace her 2007 elantra (160k miles) with a new one haha.
I'm really curious, too, about the long-term effect of jack stands. I don't have any, and I'm not going to buy any, but I do want to know...just in case. I also don't want to buy the Flatstoppers, but it might be worth it.
I guess I'll have to put the car under a tarp, loosely, just to keep the rain off. I can't afford a car cover, either.

Let's all hope the replacements come in way ahead of time!

Old 03-06-2016, 12:28 PM
One thing I read online is that wheels should be removed if the car is on jack-stands.

What about moving the car by quarter-rotations every couple of weeks? Wouldn't that work?

Old 03-06-2016, 12:42 PM
5 Year Member
^ I'm thinking the same . Would start and move it or drive it up and down the drive , then park it for 5 days or so . Problem with that could be fuel dilution of the oil . The reason for removal of the wheels / tires probably due to the weight bringing the struts /shocks/coil spring and other parts downward for long period of time which could weaken them . Make any sense ? . Talked to case worker and asked if they could give a miles allowance to move cars off road and he firmly stated no because there's no such thing on the FORMS to keep at home .

Last edited by Odie; 03-06-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by Odie
^ I'm thinking the same . Would start and move it or drive it up and down the drive , then park it for 5 days or so . Problem with that could be fuel dilution of the oil . The reason for removal of the wheels / tires probably due to the weight bringing the struts /shocks/coil spring and other parts downward for long period of time which could weaken them . Make any sense ? . Talked to case worker and asked if they could give a miles allowance to move cars off road and he firmly stated no because there's no such thing on the FORMS to keep at home .
What do you mean about a mileage allowance and moving the cars off the road?
I think that's right about the weight of the wheels....in my situation, it's too much trouble. I have to keep it outside, and I probably will have to move it now and then to accommodate my landlord. I might just roll it, because I don't think it's good to start the car. That's what I've read on here, anyway.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Thats what I mean about long term storing on jack stands. Good idea about removing the wheels while on the stands. That'll definitely eliminate the possibility of flat spots...but sure makes it simple for some jerks to break into my garage and take my rays >< pros and cons.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:07 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by shinjari
Thats what I mean about long term storing on jack stands. Good idea about removing the wheels while on the stands. That'll definitely eliminate the possibility of flat spots...but sure makes it simple for some jerks to break into my garage and take my rays >< pros and cons.

Out of curiosity why go through all that bother when there is race-ramps flat-stoppers? They work... I use them on my Mustang which is stored. Another idea is to get a cheap set of rims (steel wheels) and 4 of the crappiest cheapest tires you can get, put them on the car. There are arguments as old as what is better Ford or Chevy regarding jacking or not jacking a car.

Last edited by paul_g; 03-06-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Odie
A counter argument is generally made against letting the suspension hang which causes damage. Letting the car sit on the suspension that it was designed to sit on will not cause an issue. Go back up a few threads and read my write-up on how to store a car. There are lots of good articles on the interwebs on how to store a vehicle 6 months or longer.

Last edited by paul_g; 03-06-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Airbag Recall on 2009-2014 Fit