2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Broken fog lights

Just recently i washed my car and realized my fog light lens has been cracked.... i went to a local honda dealer and asked it its under warrenty but because its "road damage" they refuse to fix it. I brought up the fact that, from an engeneer stand point the glass is too thin, or it shouldnt even be made out of glass.

In the end they willnt fix it but, if we could get enough people to report back to honda then honda might replace then.

So as a quick question who has had their light cracked or broken?

Old 10-10-2009, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
There are a few threads already...

You may want to get some fog light protection film from here (there are a few sellers)--
Or you can check out headlightarmor.com

You can put some on now, to protect your bulb and harness, etc.
And then when you get some more lights (you have to buy the whole unit), you can protect them with some film as well. Many users have done that (in addition to myself) and it has provided protection.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:45 AM
i kno there are threads on this but im trying to find the total number of people who have had this problem

Old 10-11-2009, 01:50 AM
5 Year Member
There are MANY people that have had broken fog lenses. I had 2 in my old EP. This is across the board (no pun intended) and doesn't just happen to Fits. Honda is not going to fix this issue and once you repair your lenses (although you must buy a whole new set)--there is a SIMPLE and CHEAP fix to stop it from happening again.

Personally, I knew this was a problem before I bought my Fit and purchased from headlightarmor.com before I even had the car. It went on day 1.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:49 AM
5 Year Member
I like keeping my fogs on full time with my headlights at night. I like the added light they give to the curbs. Has overheating been a problem with the headlight armor product? They mention it's advised you turn them off in heavy traffic, but I'm not going to remember that, nor do I want to. As long as no one has reported any problems, that looks like the product for me. Thanks.

Dan

Old 10-11-2009, 07:08 AM
Got my film at xpel.com............comes in colors and you can order it by the square inch.

No problems with lamp overheating. A couple installation sites I looked at said to leave about an 1/16th of a inch around the perimeter for heat dissipation.

The film is 30 mil thick and does the job...........

Old 10-11-2009, 11:10 AM
5 Year Member
I keep my fogs on all the time--and I have had zero issues with overheating or discoloration.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:52 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks. The armor product is much more appealing to me because it comes custom fit. No way I want to cut and size something, that's for sure. So knowing the armor doesn't create a problem is a good thing. Thanks again.

Dan

Old 10-11-2009, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah...I didn't want to have to size and cut either, so I spent a bit more for headlightarmor.com's product....but I couldn't be happier with the result.

Price was reasonable, shipping was fast, instructions were easy and I got it done in less than 15 minutes...even with dropping a screw into a driveway crack (doh!).

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2009, 10:25 PM
I missed that site when I was looking around for film.

The pre-cut would be the way to go. At $17.95 a set, that's a good deal, as I had $13 in uncut vinyl.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
Price was reasonable, shipping was fast, instructions were easy and I got it done in less than 15 minutes...even with dropping a screw into a driveway crack (doh!).
Do you need to take anything apart? I was under the impression that you clean the lense, apply it, over and done. No disassembley needed?

Dan

Old 10-12-2009, 11:06 AM
5 Year Member
Hey Dan...

You take one screw off in order to remove the entire fog assembly.

Once you have that out, there are 3 screws on the back of the assembly that release the fog lense/housing from the plastic shroud.

Then you have more area of fog light to place the film on. It is a lot easier, and the film (I believe) would be too large to fit without the shroud removed.
There is still room on all sides of the film to allow for heat dissipation but you cannot see it once the shroud is replaced.

It is very easy. I'm a total noob and, like I said...did it in 15 minutes with a dropped screw.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member
Both of my foglights have cracked. I have since put black vinyl tape over them until I get around to fixing them.

So I'm going to do this, rip off all of that glass and put lexan on the housing as per this link:
Cracked Fog light lens replacement DIY - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Btrthnezr3
Hey Dan...

You take one screw off in order to remove the entire fog assembly.

Once you have that out, there are 3 screws on the back of the assembly that release the fog lense/housing from the plastic shroud.

Then you have more area of fog light to place the film on. It is a lot easier, and the film (I believe) would be too large to fit without the shroud removed.
There is still room on all sides of the film to allow for heat dissipation but you cannot see it once the shroud is replaced.

It is very easy. I'm a total noob and, like I said...did it in 15 minutes with a dropped screw.
Thanks again for that info. I didn't realize that was needed. Doesn't seem like a problem. I did the mesh screen for the grill and if I can do that, I'm sure I can do this! I sometimes think I'm getting too paranoid about all this stuff. I never even thought about any of these things with all my other cars and never had a problem. Now that I'm focused on it, I feel like if I don't take action I'm jinksing myself!

Dan

Old 10-12-2009, 04:19 PM
Anyone take out their driving lights? I'm getting a Fit Sport soon and have been thinking about taking them out. Of all the cars in which I had driving lights, I never used them. I imagine Honda doesn't make a blank to fit into the space without a driving light, since the lights come standard on the Fit Sport.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
Same here... just noticed BOTH of my '09 Sport MT's foggs are shot out... nor do I like how my front fascia is peppered and sandblasted...

Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 PM
5 Year Member
I have Venture shield on my headlights and fog lights, similar to the Headlight Armor. I think it saved my right fog light from shattering when I hit a piece of tire on the freeway. Unfortunately the plastic black shroud around the fog light did break! So I had to buy an entire right fog light just for that piece (they don't sell it separate). But it was an easy fix!

Last edited by dman; 10-27-2009 at 04:17 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
I've been wanting to put some film on the fogs for a while, just can't decide which brand.

Good links in this thread.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by deleonl1
Anyone take out their driving lights? I'm getting a Fit Sport soon and have been thinking about taking them out. Of all the cars in which I had driving lights, I never used them. I imagine Honda doesn't make a blank to fit into the space without a driving light, since the lights come standard on the Fit Sport.
Name:  bigthink.gif
Views: 138
Size:  1.3 KB You mean the daytime running lights? Do a search, there's a couple of threads that will tell you which fuse to pop out to keep them off.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Originally Posted by Krizz
You mean the daytime running lights? Do a search, there's a couple of threads that will tell you which fuse to pop out to keep them off.
I mean removing both driving/fog lights from the bumper. I have never used them in any of my cars and they are always getting cracked. In my old 98 Saab 900, both driving lights were cracked and I simply took them out and ordered a plastic piece from Saab to fill in the space.

Quick Reply: Broken fog lights