2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A week now, and the first time pumping gas

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:32 PM
A week now, and the first time pumping gas

Wow, it sure feels good to pump 87 octane gas... , reason being... my other car, the Acura RDX, feeds only on premium gas, and the turbo really "drinks" the gasoline...

I was a little skeptical initially if 87 gas will make the car somewhat lethargic, but nope, the car runs smooth and peppy on 76 gasoline @ 87 octane. YeSSS!

Well, no costco or fred myer or arco gas for this car... intend to keep it running smooth...

Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mav238
Wow, it sure feels good to pump 87 octane gas... , reason being... my other car, the Acura RDX, feeds only on premium gas, and the turbo really "drinks" the gasoline...

I was a little skeptical initially if 87 gas will make the car somewhat lethargic, but nope, the car runs smooth and peppy on 76 gasoline @ 87 octane. YeSSS!

Well, no costco or fred myer or arco gas for this car... intend to keep it running smooth...
Wait, and wait, and wait, until your first oil change... you'll enjoy wait. As for the 87 octane, it has the same amount of "power" as the premium that goes into the RDX It's just more resistant to predetonation.

~SB

Old 07-30-2010, 10:33 AM
Well, have been driving more "conservatively", and following speed limits on the I-5 here in Seattle, mix city/hwy driving gives me ~ 36 mpg. That would be about 50% city/50% hwy. City traffic congestion here in Seattle is quite something. Just relocated from Boston (after a year spent there in a job), so this congestion is familiar. But you know what... I take this traffic congestion in the northwest, anyday over living in Boston. IMHO, Boston is a nice place to visit for a week, all the historic stuff, but to live a life there, the heavy snow winters, hot humid summers, boring sleeper towns, and crazy drivers, is not something that would fit everyone... JMHO.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:57 PM
Costco fuel is actually very high quality, it just does not have the solvents and additives that other fuels have. When I drove a 12mpg Suburban I used their gas 3 out of every 4 tanks.. and the 4th was always Shell or Chevron. No issues.

Now with the Fit.. I don't shop around for fuel, though at 9 to 10 gallons a fill.. it's not worth driving the extra distance to save .10 a gallon.

Seattle blows

Old 07-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by Sherpa
Costco fuel is actually very high quality, it just does not have the solvents and additives that other fuels have. When I drove a 12mpg Suburban I used their gas 3 out of every 4 tanks.. and the 4th was always Shell or Chevron. No issues.

Now with the Fit.. I don't shop around for fuel, though at 9 to 10 gallons a fill.. it's not worth driving the extra distance to save .10 a gallon.

Seattle blows
I believe you that the stock gasoline is high quality, as it typically only come from a few main suppliers. But gasoline requires the detergency to reduce the accumulation of deposits.

I still can't believe it when I was driving on I-5N from Seattle to Vancouver, BC, that the computer was indicating my avg mpg was 45!
I was literally cruising at 65 mph on cruise control. When I mixed in city driving, 50/50, I am getting around 32 mpg. Again, no lead foot here. Honestly, I don't see any reason for anyone to be lead footed with the Fit, it just does not have the acceleration power of larger displacement engines or turbos; with 0-60 mph times of 10.5 sec, why bother trying to lead foot the Fit and think it is going to give you some exciting thrills.

Wow... 45 mpg on hwy, on regular fuel...
Far cry from my Acura RDX @ 23 mpg on hwy.

oh... btw,.. what do you by "Seattle blows"?

Old 07-31-2010, 05:07 PM
5 Year Member
Or a 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder that was getting 17-18 mpg on hwy.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:24 PM
5 Year Member
I believe you that the stock gasoline is high quality, as it typically only come from a few main suppliers. But gasoline requires the detergency to reduce the accumulation of deposits.

I still can't believe it when I was driving on I-5N from Seattle to Vancouver, BC, that the computer was indicating my avg mpg was 45!
I was literally cruising at 65 mph on cruise control. When I mixed in city driving, 50/50, I am getting around 32 mpg. Again, no lead foot here. Honestly, I don't see any reason for anyone to be lead footed with the Fit, it just does not have the acceleration power of larger displacement engines or turbos; with 0-60 mph times of 10.5 sec, why bother trying to lead foot the Fit and think it is going to give you some exciting thrills.

Wow... 45 mpg on hwy, on regular fuel...

oh... btw,.. what do you by "Seattle blows"?
My actual lifetime avg (calculated, not by the Gauge as it is usually 2mpg high) is in my sig and as of this point, it's just under 38mpg. As i've said in other threads, I'm light on the gas when need be but when I've got some twisties, i'm not light. granted the Fit is no Acceleration monster but wait until break-in, then take it up to redline and shift. For a 1.5L motor, it's got plenty of pep. Mashing on the gas (as you said) will do little as the car has minimal torque but if you shift regularly, and shift late/downshift early, you'll have lots of fun in the fit. It's light and tossable which is what makes it fun in the corners and country/mountain roads.

~SB

Old 07-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
I have a very short commute to work so I can fill the Fit up every two weeks. Buy 25.00 in gas and still have to go back and get my change!

Cat :x

Old 08-01-2010, 07:49 PM
i use the costco gas, its pretty good and great price, would be interesting to find out who their supplier is!

if you do a lot of highway or freeway driving i would recommend the shell V power gas, its definitely worth it and your increase in MPG will be quite noticebale!