2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda announces recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:08 PM
E B
dammmn gotta keep an eye out of the notice in the mail..

Old 02-22-2011, 12:14 PM
If Honda could recall the owners half of us wouldn't still be here.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:18 PM
fitchet - do you really see things that way? Sort through it again.

Honestly, many have stated mistrust, confusion, explanation, understanding and concern. Look at the total hits this thread has gotten... 7,631 right now.

It is a big deal I guess, but it's what happens.
What's there to question?
It's hardly a 'significant defect'. And it is a simple fix.

I see it as a free 18Kmile valve adjustment, I hope I'm part of the recall.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:21 PM
5 Year Member
I think that a lot of the disagreement just comes from people having different expectations.

On the topic of Owner Link not being updated -- yea, it sucks, but I'm sure you understand that it takes some amount of time for this to be done. Honda could have waited 2 weeks to announce the recall, after giving time for the site to be updated, and it would have been all peachy. But they didn't, and now we're all left kind of anxious. I don't know which way is better honestly.

As for the recall itself, it doesn't seem that complex in the grand scheme of things. I think replacing a timing belt, which dealers do on a regular basis, is more complicated than this repair. Granted, if you're the type that doesn't trust the dealer for anything, then this probably doesn't help at all.

Personally, I'm not that concerned about this recall, because I've seen a LOT worse from Honda. I'm surprised nobody's brought up the infamous V6/5speed auto debacle.

Here's a summary from the NYTimes: Honda Transmission Problems Seem to Persist - NYTimes.com

THAT is a bad recall, so this is nothing in comparison. And, at least here, Honda's actually fixing the problem; for the transmission issue, they just put on a band-aid fix... so Honda's certainly not the perfect automaker people think it is.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
If Honda could recall the owners half of us wouldn't still be here.
That's a wrap_

Old 02-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by fitchet
What has been illuminated to me through this recall:

Hell of a lot of Honda POD people.

Vacant Stare, Monotone Voice:

We don't question the recall.

We don't criticize Owner Link's lack of actually being a tool to "link owners" to information.

We won't show any discomfort or displeasure at the fact that our vehicles have a significant defect.

Nothing labeled Honda can be questioned or criticized.

We will just smile vacantly and await our notice.

If anyone shows any signs of HUMAN LIFE and strays from these tenants we will point and scream...He's not one of US!
So the recall on my previous oldsmobile wherein the fuel injector system could explode was pretty upsetting, especially as it took GM something like 5 years to notice the problem. A spring that can fail prematurely getting caught after 2 years is much less upsetting.

The owner's link page taking a while to update is a bit upsetting. Part of announcing the recall should have been to have that in place, if for no other reason than the natural reaction after hearing the recall news was to log-in and check to see if my car was part of the recall, so yeah, that was a PR misstep.

But expecting a car to have no defects ever is a bit much. I don't think I've owned a car that didn't have any recalls or TSBs for either the car itself or some cars in that production line. My previous Olds had the mentioned fuel injection system exploding problem, my accord had an airbag recall. The Fit, even before I bought it had multiple TSBs announced. The real standard here isn't if the manufacturer produces perfect cars, because they can't; it's how the manufacturer handles its mistakes. Noticing excessive failure after 2 years and recalling the vehicle is about as appropriate as I can imagine, as it would take some period of time to see the problem appear.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:41 PM
There have been some years in this country with more recalled cars than cars sold. Which means an average of more than one recall a year per car.

I've owned four cars in the last three decades (VW Rabbit, Acura Integra, Infiniti G-20), put 100,000+ on each of them, and the only recall I can remember was for a windshield wiper motor problem.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
fitchet - do you really see things that way? Sort through it again.

Honestly, many have stated mistrust, confusion, explanation, understanding and concern. Look at the total hits this thread has gotten... 7,631 right now.

It is a big deal I guess, but it's what happens.
What's there to question?
It's hardly a 'significant defect'. And it is a simple fix.

I see it as a free 18Kmile valve adjustment, I hope I'm part of the recall.
Yes, I have come to see it this way.

I would argue it IS a significant defect, anything resulting in a recall of this size by default IMO becomes a significant defect...but beyond that Honda themselves defines the problem thus:

"The lost motion springs, which are compressed by rocker arms in normal engine use, may bend or break over time resulting in abnormal engine noise and potentially causing engine damage or stalling."

Those are Honda's words NOT mine, and I'd call that a significant defect.

I like Honda, I like my Fit. Believe it or not, I don't think this recall is the end of the world....significant defect or not, it can be repaired. I understand all that...

But you are doing exactly what I see...redefining the whole situation in the most benign terms...it is NOT a free valve adjustment....

Maybe I'm just a different animal...but I can still like an automobile, I can still like Honda...but I don't feel I need to defend Honda, or shouldn't criticize them when they fail...and this IS a failure...

Somewhere inbetween "The Passion of The Fit" angst...and "It's a Free Valve Adjustment!"...is probably the truth....

Old 02-22-2011, 12:56 PM
It's like some of you want something to fail just so you can go AHA! I TOLD YOU! NANANANANA

If you think Honda has issues try owning anything from British Leyland MG, Triumph, Fiat, Alfa, Dodge or Chrysler passenger car.

Don't get me wrong I love Alfa's, Triumphs and MG's but to pretend they are reliable is fooling no one. I have an uncle with a red Alfa Spyder that I have had to go rescue with a Fit full of tools on more than a few occasions...

Or a DSM previously owned by a teenager...

Honda stands head and shoulders above the majority of the auto world in reliability and customer satisfaction. They take responsibility for their actions, as demonstrated through the recall.

For you to lose confidence or respect, and basically trash talk the company because of something this comparatively minor and rare is baffling. Not only that but you haven't even figured out if it effects you yet. How many other boogeymen are you freaking out over at a given point in time? Second thought, don't answer that

In short you are a whiny, myopic boob and have contributed nothing but filler and pure speculation to a 15 page thread which otherwise could have been succinct, rational and composed of useful information..

Old 02-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Too long; didn't read

"Full of sound and fury. Signifying nothing."

Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
"Full of sound and fury. Signifying nothing."
Yeah...it's 8 sentences and would take about 15 seconds to read...but you disagree with me...so just take a cheap shot and bow out....

Old 02-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Yeah...it's 8 sentences and would take about 15 seconds to read...but you disagree with me...so just take a cheap shot and bow out....
It's not that I disagree with you. There are plenty of people I can amicably disagree with.

But you are unreasonable and woefully unaware of how an OEM performs a recall and why. You also have a distinct lack of understanding about what this spring does, where it resides and what failure implies. You just seem to be imagining some sort of explosion where the hood flies off and you burn alive inside the car.

Its like trying to have a calm, factual sit down with a teabagger.

I tried that a couple times at our "town hall" meetings last year. When they start saying crap like keep big government out of my medicare that I stop caring and start lampooning.

That is effectively what you are doing. At this point, I'll shut up when you do.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-22-2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
It's not that I disagree with you. There are plenty of people I can amicably disagree with.

But you are unreasonable and woefully unaware of how an OEM performs a recall and why. You also have a distinct lack of understanding about what this spring does, where it resides and what failure implies. You just seem to be imagining some sort of explosion where the hood flies off and you burn alive inside the car.

Its like trying to have a calm, factual sit down with a teabagger.

I tried that a couple times at our "town hall" meetings last year. When they start saying crap like keep big government out of my medicare that I stop caring and start lampooning.

That is effectively what you are doing. At this point, I'll shut up when you do.
TOTAL FICTION:

"You just seem to be imagining some sort of explosion where the hood flies off and you burn alive inside the car."

When did I ever imply anything close to this contention? Infact, if it is possible for you to read.....and comprehend...

You'd notice that in definition I've used HONDA's own description of the problem...as an exact quote.....so if you have a problem with my definition of the problem...take it up with Honda...

I'm glad that evidently YOU are a mechanic. I'm glad for you that you think you could do this yourself...

ALSO the REALITY is I've stated many times that I define this as a completely repairable problem...

But you shouldn't apply your own totally fictional "opinion" as to what someone elses opinion is....because as far as what my opinion is? You are totally wrong.

A lot of people when losing an arguement stop caring and start lampooning...I bet that happens with you a lot.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
OK guys heres the official service bulletin. I made a screenshot so you can see which vehicles with what year and vin ranges are affected.
*NOTE: some vehicles in those vin ranges are NOT affected.

also more additional information about specific dates and numbers of affected vehicles

*One last thing I thought this forum was here for FIT lovers to help each other out not bicker. It's so sad There should be a lot more informative info instead of a bunch of nonsense comments.

Last edited by AlphaQuad; 02-22-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:57 PM
TOTAL FICTION
You are a ridiculous individual.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 02-22-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by AlphaQuad
OK guys heres the official service bulletin. I made a screenshot so you can see which vehicles with what year and vin ranges are affected.

also more additional information about specific dates and numbers of affected vehicles
Finally something useful.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Would this spring have a domino effect? I mean same type of spring material and or manufacturing procedures on other honda lineup?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by ThEvil0nE
Would this spring have a domino effect? I mean same type of spring material and or manufacturing procedures on other honda lineup?
That is entirely possible, but we should wait and see.

You can bet money they are investigating that

Old 02-22-2011, 02:02 PM
5 Year Member

*One last thing I thought this forum was here for FIT lovers to help each other out not bicker. It's so sad There should be a lot more informative info instead of a bunch of nonsense comments.
+ reps for you.

Finally! Some information amongst the shit storm. Looks like I'm smack in the recall range but I'll just wait for my letter as I am not in any hurry.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the info and your comment. Hopefully folks will take heed.

Quick Reply: Honda announces recall