2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda announces recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:26 PM
5 Year Member
Update. I got my car back from the recall and it seems to be fine. My engine is quieter than it has been in a long time. Most of the clicking noise I was hearing was from a burnt out spark plug that fried a coil. I'm glad that both issues have been remedied.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by BigWonton
Thanks to people here for making this website a great resource for us Fit owners.
I agree and I salute to all the contributors of this forum.

This thread is inching towards 11,000 hits in about a week

Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by runbikerun
Update. I got my car back from the recall and it seems to be fine. My engine is quieter than it has been in a long time. Most of the clicking noise I was hearing was from a burnt out spark plug that fried a coil. I'm glad that both issues have been remedied.
I am happy to hear you are satisfied with the recall fix. How long did the Honda Tech worked on your FIT?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:36 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ric01
I am happy to hear you are satisfied with the recall fix. How long did the Honda Tech worked on your FIT?
The recall was just one day. Waiting for the other parts(coil and plugs) was the second day. They were pretty good about taking care of things as they were not even aware of the recall at first. I will check in in a week or so to report how things are going.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks. By one day recall, do you mean the Honda Tech spent whole day on your FIT or a couple of hours?

Old 02-24-2011, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
I will guess it was probably just a couple hours. The wait was really for ordered parts.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:47 PM
I will guess it was probably just a couple hours. The wait was really for ordered parts.
Yeah, according to the TSB posted by AlphaQuad two pages ago, this job should take the average mechanic about 1.6 hours to complete.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nfs480
Yeah, according to the TSB posted by AlphaQuad two pages ago, this job should take the average mechanic about 1.6 hours to complete.
where does it say that? i read it (page 15 post #294), i didnt find any comment on the time.

i have heard people on hear estimate it's a 2 hour job.

FWIW, my honda service dept said a full fix would take most of the day. i find that hard to believe... but that's what he told me.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:00 PM
You see where it says "FRT" in the table? That stands for "Flat Rate time", the time the average mechanic should spend on the job, and the amount of time the mechanic will be paid for the job. Meaning if it takes him 4 hours, or even 30 minutes, he'll get paid for 1.6 hours of time.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
awesome! thanks. you learn something new every day on here.

Originally Posted by nfs480
You see where it says "FRT" in the table? That stands for "Flat Rate time", the time the average mechanic should spend on the job, and the amount of time the mechanic will be paid for the job. Meaning if it takes him 4 hours, or even 30 minutes, he'll get paid for 1.6 hours of time.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
How did you get a recall fix when an official notice hasn't even been sent out yet?! Do you know if you are technically the very first to get the recall fix? I wanna know how the heck you pulled off the 'early bird' with this!

Dan

Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
Bless Codger01 he found it.

Thank you!
I had been wondering how many of our cars had actually had this spring (or springs?) break, but Fits_of_Fury is the only one (so far) on the fourm who seems to have had one break. Knowing this forum, if it was happening more often there would be a half dozen or more threads about it! Some people seemed to be getting a little "freaked out" about the recall, so I just wanted to get the word out that just becuse there is a recall, it doesn't mean your car will have a problem.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Shockwave199
How did you get a recall fix when an official notice hasn't even been sent out yet?! Do you know if you are technically the very first to get the recall fix? I wanna know how the heck you pulled off the 'early bird' with this!

Dan

That's just how I roll.

I really just had it in for a mystery noise and when we looked into the recall it seemed to be a source for the problem. I certainly wasn't shooting for first in line status. I would rather have a mechanic that has done a dozen of these before they even look at mine. My fingers are crossed that all is good now.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:36 PM
5 Year Member
That's just how I roll.

I really just had it in for a mystery noise and when we looked into the recall it seemed to be a source for the problem. I certainly wasn't shooting for first in line status. I would rather have a mechanic that has done a dozen of these before they even look at mine. My fingers are crossed that all is good now.
What type of "Mystery" noise was it?

I have a wierd noise at low rpm under load. Especially when getting back on the throttle. I'm tempted to bring it in tomorrow to question them but I am hesitant to bring it to my dealer that already told me I was hearing things when I asked if I needed a valve adjustment 4 months ago. Have to swap out the intake.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by drwndavid
Uncanny - we harbor't heard of much, if any, subject problems on a GE engine so far, but Honda moldiness see something arrival medico the traveling based on their another year-older markets. I am not spirit with this fountain they utter of. Would it existence imperfect perchance encourage to the valves getting out of wham, and needing recompense, occupation for the diesel engine remark most of us get with the car? They do say something virtually engine sound.

Are you asking if the noise you get when the valves are out of whack is comparable to when one of the lost motion springs is bent/broken?

In the case of a bent spring, where most likely the car will just stall at low rpm, you will probably have a good deal of diesel like clatter, but it will be coming from the head not the combustion chamber like on an old diesel.

In the event of a broken spring, the car might not even turn on and will probably require anything from some new valves and guides to a new cylinder head... to a new engine.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wiona
What type of "Mystery" noise was it?

I have a wierd noise at low rpm under load. Especially when getting back on the throttle. I'm tempted to bring it in tomorrow to question them but I am hesitant to bring it to my dealer that already told me I was hearing things when I asked if I needed a valve adjustment 4 months ago. Have to swap out the intake.
I could hear a constant clicking sound. Mostly audible at idle but would become audible at speeds up to 45/50mph. The clicking increased in rate along with engine rpm's. I asked about it months ago and was told it was common and Fits have loud fuel injectors and it is typical when the engine is cold. I asked again a couple days before the recall announcement(at my oil change) and was told they couldn't hear anything but if I wanted to leave the car they would look again. I called to schedule bringing the car in again and right after I hung up I heard about the recall. I just didn't want something to do permanent damage to my engine and my paranoia and sensitive ear got the best of me so I took it in.

Is it worth investigating? Who knows, but there seem to be an aweful lot of clicking tapping noises on this forum.

Btw I still think this is the best compact car out there!

Old 02-25-2011, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by drwndavid
Uncanny - we harbor't heard of much, if any, subject problems on a GE engine so far, but Honda moldiness see something arrival medico the traveling based on their another year-older markets. I am not spirit with this fountain they utter of. Would it existence imperfect perchance encourage to the valves getting out of wham, and needing recompense, occupation for the diesel engine remark most of us get with the car? They do say something virtually engine sound.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:39 PM
I could hear a constant clicking sound. Mostly audible at idle but would become audible at speeds up to 45/50mph. The clicking increased in rate along with engine rpm's. I asked about it months ago and was told it was common and Fits have loud fuel injectors and it is typical when the engine is cold. I asked again a couple days before the recall announcement(at my oil change) and was told they couldn't hear anything but if I wanted to leave the car they would look again. I called to schedule bringing the car in again and right after I hung up I heard about the recall. I just didn't want something to do permanent damage to my engine and my paranoia and sensitive ear got the best of me so I took it in.

Is it worth investigating? Who knows, but there seem to be an aweful lot of clicking tapping noises on this forum.

We have very "ticky" engines from the factory. On other cars, or older vehicles some of those sounds would be an indication that something is awry.

More often than not it is perfectly normal.

I do somewhat dispute that we have "loud" injectors though. I can't think of any set of injectors I have ever had that were the culprit of an audible ticking/clicking noise.

That's including everything from the tiny 185cc/min Fit injectors to the various 450's 560's 680's 750's 1000's 1450's and 2150's I've gotten to play with.

Common rail diesel injectors make a healthy amount of noise though. But those are usually under 15,000psi rail pressure.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member

With all the talk of having the springs in stock for the recall, I'm just surprised they were all set up and stocked to do the recall fix right then and there. Something about the proper tools too? Good for you that you kind of fell face forward into an opportunity to get the fix done very early- before dealers are seemingly ready to take on the masses.
Thank you!
I had been wondering how many of our cars had actually had this spring (or springs?) break, but Fits_of_Fury is the only one (so far) on the fourm who seems to have had one break. Knowing this forum, if it was happening more often there would be a half dozen or more threads about it! Some people seemed to be getting a little "freaked out" about the recall, so I just wanted to get the word out that just becuse there is a recall, it doesn't mean your car will have a problem.
Yes, but it doesn't mean your car won't have the problem either. I'm doing my daily driving without hesitation because I must. But I have postponed a 600 mile round trip to PA though. Even though it's a family gathering and a shame to miss it, I won't push my luck that far. I've been through complete engine failure on the road. It's not a fun experience and the further away from home base you are, the more complicated it becomes. I'm actually at least thankful I know about the possibility, so I can make an educated 'guess'. Usually, you don't have any knowledge of the impending doom that awaits you on that faitful trip. So while I'm not home bound or refusing to drive before the recall, that is a risk. And I personally think that any truly unnecessary driving should be avoided. We're talking about the possibility of trashing an engine. Use common sense when assessing the risk. My opinion, anyway.

Dan

Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
he probably got the old "oatmeal in the oil fix."

Nice and quiet for a while... long enough for you to at least LEAVE happy.

Quick Reply: Honda announces recall