2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First extended drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 01:03 AM
First extended drive

This past week I drove my 2013 Honda Fit Base Auto on its first extended drive of over 50 miles at a time.

Round trip was over 1,100 miles over the course of five days and averaged 34.5 mpg that was mostly interstate driving. There was a large mountain range that had to be traversed both on the outset and return trip, plus numerous small towns with more stoplights and construction zones than necessary. Not too bad.

Also, most of the driving took place on two of the five days, with the fifth day consuming roughly half the total trip mileage and being on the road for about nine hours with only three stops.

One thing I noticed for the first time is just how hot it can get in the cabin with all the large windows filtering in all that sunlight! Really giving some thought to tinting the windows after this drive! On the first day it got so warm in the cabin, the AC couldn't cool it down much at all. I helped avoid this later in the trip by immediately turning the AC fan on setting 4 and the temp control as cool as possible as to try and stay ahead of the warming cabin temp. No vents were blocked off that would hamper cooling. That first day of driving was probably the warmest of the trip too.

Didn't really get to use the cruise control option much due to the numerous changes in elevation and posted speed limits on the roads I was traveling, as well as moderate traffic flow.

The car did well and I didn't really have any issues with keeping pace on the interstates. I did notice how much the fit relies on momentum, as a few times a merging vehicle would cause me to have to slow down briefly, and then when I tried to resume my previous speed, the transmission almost always had to downshift to increase engine revolutions to make up the speed. That's normal I realize, but still seemed a little more common than when I make the trip in my 04 Civic. At 80 mph the rpm's appeared to be just under the 3,000 mark and I didn't think road and engine noise was bad at all. Handling as always was superb, no issue at all keeping the car where I wanted it.

Apologize if my post was long winded, but just wanted to share my thoughts on taking the fit for its first extended trip!

Old 09-28-2014, 01:47 AM
5 Year Member
Up until this week, the furthest I'd taken my car in one trip was 250km. That's about 150 miles. I'm not counting in those trips trips where I drove to my destination, spent a few hours, and then drove home. The seat is fairly comfortable, driving position could be a little better, but for my 5'6" frame, it's not terrible. The most fatigue on those trips is in my arms, holding the steering wheel (I sit far back, and my steering wheel, pulled as close to me as possible, is almost at the top of it's travel, so that I can see the entire speedometer).

Yesterday, I travelled 1300km (about 800 miles). About 1/3 of that (400km) was in the driver's seat. 400km was stretched out across the back seat (it's really short for me!). When I was sitting up in the back, I was quite comfortable. In the front passenger seat, again I was quite comfortable. Gas mileage averaged high 30's, one leg was quite low, but the rest of the trip was in my normal range (40-45 imperial).

I can't really comment on anything else, because there was nothing different this trip (except for the length) from any other trip, or from my city driving. I can say, to those who are considering long trips in their fit, I have no worries about doing a similar trip in my fit again. 100% reliable, comfortable. Even my friend who drives a Camry (or a Harley) was impressed with the car.