2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long 1800mi trip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 03:16 AM
long 1800mi trip?

has anyone had long long trip in a fit?

I like to travel a lot and I'm planning to drive to Utah from pittsburg PA in 2010 fit.

it is about 1800miles + trip with 27 hours of driving according to google.
320miles per tank x 6 fill ups one way.
I will have about 400lbs of stuff packed in.
I will probably drive myself but i can also have a co-driver(friend).

I will take rest stops and nap? but I won't be sleeping in a hotel. Its just my habit, I can't take long break until I get there.
Longest drive I had was about 12hrs from NY city to Chicago IL.

Will fit be alright? Most of my drive was in a minivan/mid sized car..never drove that long in a 4cyl eco car...I'm just hoping it doesn't get over heated in the middle of the highway. I will probably take rest more often after first 7hours of drive.

If anyone had long trip, please share your experience.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member
You'll do fine. I've driven 2720 miles in 4 days in my Fit packed with stuff. I traveled with a tool box, an extra quart of motor oil and a portable compressor just in case.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:27 AM
5 Year Member
My 2012 Fit and I drove 17.5 hours straight, 1200 miles from MN to CT, stopping only to refuel. I had at least 400 lbs of stuff. Even at 80 mph for most of the trip, the Fit had no complaints, and no signs of over heating. You have nothing to worry about, enjoy the trip!

It is almost like these cars were built for these kinds of trips. I averaged 34.5 MPG over the full 1200 miles.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:56 PM
LOL
Toronto to Blaine, WA, to Tijuana, Mexico to Matamoros, Mexico, to Key West, FL back north to DC and then home to Toronto. Also other trips to AZ, UT, twice to LA, all Mid-West, etc., all Continental USA, 48 states, in a 2007 5AT Fit. Never seen a Fit down in Mexico.
Bought my Black Fit in July 2006.
Over 250K miles with my Fit right now.
Chris

Old 07-24-2013, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
I did do a road trip 2 years ago... about 11k miles over the course of 5 weeks (lot of down time in SF, SD and NYC ... oh, and TX in general).

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/off-...greetings.html is a link to the thread I created and posted to during my trip. You can sort of see how far I traveled over any given time span.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:06 PM
I did a 6000+ mile road trip earlier this year (well, two halves of one). No problems at all with the Fit, as I expected. Traveling at the speed limit, I averaged around 38-40 mpg, depending upon the terrain, the prevailing winds, and the local gas formulations.

Extended highway driving is about the easiest of all driving on the engine and transmission, mile for mile; cold starts are much harder on the engine than long runs. If you don't have any problems on an hour long highway ride, where everything gets fully warmed up, you won't have any problems on a longer trip, where everything stays fully warmed up.

I do very, very strongly recommend against driving straight through, particularly if you're doing the majority of the driving yourself. It's just not safe to pretend to be alert for 27+ hours on end, and this is doubly the case should you run into some bad weather or traffic or similar. I find my driving skills deteriorate quite rapidly after ten or twelve hours behind the wheel—so that's when I figure it's time for me to call it a day. Your back and body will also be much happier if you give them a rest from the car seat.

Rather obviously, it's wise to do some basic checks on the Fit before you leave—make sure the tires (including the spare) are properly inflated, top off the windshield washer fluid, get an oil change if one's do, make sure all the lights are working, etc.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Beginning of June 3,000 mile round trip to Dallas Texas 24 hours nonstop going and 24 hours nonstop back driving myself wife does not drive my car. Beyond 24 hours would be hard. Last week round trip of 1,300 to Sparta Kentucky.

Last edited by cjecpa; 07-24-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:22 PM
Have to do Miami to OKC eventually. As a new Fit owner it's good to know you guys have had no problems on long trips. My car is just going through that weird break in period where the mileage kinda sucks -__-

Old 07-24-2013, 10:29 PM
Beware of white line fever. It's not uncommon to get hypnotized by the dashed lines when you drive, especially at night.
What Is Highway Hypnosis?

If you start to feel at all weird, get off the road and sleep. In general, driving more than a few hours at a time is not something to take lightly.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:34 PM
My man, nobody can drive more than 10 hrs/day and over max 800 miles before an overnight good sleep.
Been driving for 29 years and over 1 MILLION miles in total.
About 5 hrs from Toronto to your place in Binghamton, NY on the annual drive to Key West, FL.
And I always do ~20 mph over PSL, obviously with a very good RD, Beltronics STI in my case, and CB Radio.
Toronto to Dallas, TX: 2 full days, max 10 hrs/day, at least 3 rest stops per day.
Toronto to Key West: 3 full days, doing ~80 mph on the interstates.
So let it go with your 3K miles/48 hrs continuous driving BS.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Macronyx
Have to do Miami to OKC eventually. As a new Fit owner it's good to know you guys have had no problems on long trips. My car is just going through that weird break in period where the mileage kinda sucks -__-
It's not about the car, mostly about driving experience and a lot of physical endurance.
Max 8 hrs and 800 miles per day with at least 3 rest stops per day.
Toronto to Miami & Key West: 3 full days.
Who tells you they can do thousands of miles per day with just one driver, just walk away from that BS driver.
Been driving for 29 years and over 1 million miles on board.
Drive safely.
Chris

Old 07-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Thank you all for the advise.
dang you guys drive a lot

now Im confident that fit will be ok for long trip, I will be packing lots of stuffs in including snacks!!
I only have 30% oil life remaining so, I will get engine oil changed 2 days before I go.
I want to bring a small portable gas tank but I'm not sure where to put it...I'm sure it will smell a lot....I hate running on empty on long trip esp on the roads I dont know.

I usually drive about 50k per year and hoping to keep it upto 200k.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by 1toughfit
Thank you all for the advise.
dang you guys drive a lot

now Im confident that fit will be ok for long trip, I will be packing lots of stuffs in including snacks!!
I only have 30% oil life remaining so, I will get engine oil changed 2 days before I go.
I want to bring a small portable gas tank but I'm not sure where to put it...I'm sure it will smell a lot....I hate running on empty on long trip esp on the roads I dont know.

I usually drive about 50k per year and hoping to keep it upto 200k.
In 2005 I drove Toronto to Colorado, Utah and Grand Canyon North Rim then north to Idaho, Wyoming, Mt Rushmore, Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit and back to Toronto, in a 1998 Honda Civic.

Very juicy and beautiful road trip, tons of road adventures, my only advice: TAKE YOUR TIME, no need for racing or other stupid and cheap bravery, it's a pretty long trip so you need a lot of rest stops. Use a good radar detector if you have one, CB Radio also very helpful. Always some spare gas at the back in case you run out of gas, ran out of gas dozens of times, no big deal as long as it doesn't happen on a freakin' one lane bridge or in a tunnel of in the mid-lane of any road.

Rocky Mts are gorgeous but you'll have a lot of steep roads btwn Colorado and Utah. Visit at least one Canyon, you can drive in the Zion Canyon, the drive is... PRICELESS.

Avoid driving by night in Colorado and Utah, wild animals everywhere and I don't think your Fit will be of any good against a 500-lb or whatever... Bison LOL

Drive safely and Enjoy America The Beautiful.

Chris

Old 07-25-2013, 04:11 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by 2007Fit5AT
It's not about the car, mostly about driving experience and a lot of physical endurance.
Max 8 hrs and 800 miles per day with at least 3 rest stops per day.
Toronto to Miami & Key West: 3 full days.
Who tells you they can do thousands of miles per day with just one driver, just walk away from that BS driver.
Been driving for 29 years and over 1 million miles on board.
Drive safely.
Chris

Call BS on yourself. I used to drive straight from Connecticut to Florida straight with no sleep about 26 hrs all the time while in the service.

Some of the guys used to drive it one way sleep overnight and head back the second day and do it over going back the other way making money from other guys as passengers EVERY WEEKEND for their length of time on the base.

NO accidents either. And no redbull or other stimulants.

google swooping there are boards to get Military members together with drivers and guys needing a ride and this goes on every weekend all up and down the east coast and other military areas.

Been driving for 49 years 20 years professionally and way over 1 million miles.

Last edited by loudbang; 07-25-2013 at 04:13 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by loudbang
Call BS on yourself. I used to drive straight from Connecticut to Florida straight with no sleep about 26 hrs all the time while in the service.

Some of the guys used to drive it one way sleep overnight and head back the second day and do it over going back the other way making money from other guys as passengers EVERY WEEKEND for their length of time on the base.

NO accidents either. And no redbull or other stimulants.

google swooping there are boards to get Military members together with drivers and guys needing a ride and this goes on every weekend all up and down the east coast and other military areas.

Been driving for 49 years 20 years professionally and way over 1 million miles.
I call that cheap and dangerous bravery, if you wanna kill yourself I have no problem with that, but when you put other ppl's lives in danger just b/c you wanna make some bucks in a hurry, I call that reckless behavior.

If you're doing that kind of "job" commercially, that's ILLEGAL, there is a good reason why DOTs limit drivers the time and distance they are legally allowed to drive per day before going for a long rest stop.

But if you want a Banana Republic kind of laws, I guess it's nothing wrong with your driving "experience".

At least I know none of my loved ones in my family has to get in a vehicle with such "brave" driver like yourself.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:34 AM
The Fit can go for almost four hours on a tank of gas- probably a good idea to stop at least that often and stretch your legs (and rest your eyes and mind for a few minutes, too). Much safer than carrying a gas can (also, there are places where it's illegal to carry gas in containers, such as some bridges).

Old 07-25-2013, 09:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
The Fit can go for almost four hours on a tank of gas- probably a good idea to stop at least that often and stretch your legs (and rest your eyes and mind for a few minutes, too). Much safer than carrying a gas can (also, there are places where it's illegal to carry gas in containers, such as some bridges).

About four hours seem correct. On the way to Texas I stopped every 2 hours to stretch and top off the gas just to be safe if I ran into a accident or road construction where I may have to sit in traffic for a extended period of time.
Usually this time of year I start out around 3:00am so I minimize the driving during sun down.

Last edited by cjecpa; 07-25-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:55 AM
I posted here fairly recently about my road trip. I drove from Massachusetts to southern Florida Fort Myers area. The trip was about 1470 miles one way. I'm the type of person who is slightly hyper so I wasn't afraid of falling asleep. I left my home at 4 AM and drove with my cruise control set it 68 mph. I stopped about every three or four hours to grab a bite to eat, urinate, and gas up.

I drove as far as I could drive in a safe manner. That was to towards the end of North Carolina. If I drove another hour I would be South Carolina. That took me about 15 hours. I ran into some crazy traffic jams. By the time I stopped I was really tired and I figured if I kept going on I was putting myself and others at risk.

The next morning I left and drove until I reach my final destination in southern Florida. It took something like 14-15 hrs. I do stop for rest breaks and bathroom breaks to stretch my legs.

For the life of me I don't know how you will be able to drive 27 hours without stopping and staying in a motel. After so many hours you run the risk of becoming hypnotized by the white lines on the road..

As far as driving my 2012 fit sport was concerned my fit had no problem at all doing the trip. It was comfortable enough and it handled well. I complained in my post at the fit doesn't have enough passing power for my liking. One problem I did have when driving down south in the blazing heat and humidity my air-conditioner froze and I had to turn it on and off. I had it serviced at the dealership when I returned.

Why not take two days to do this trip? Just stay in a budget motel like I did. It's too far to do 1800 miles without proper bed rest.

This is just my opinion. Think of your life and the lives of other people on the road you will come across.

Whatever you do, have a safe trip!

Old 07-25-2013, 11:09 AM
5 Year Member
Sissies. Get a motorman's friend and drive non-stop. Some sort of roof mounted extra fuel tank would help.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by david223
I posted here fairly recently about my road trip. I drove from Massachusetts to southern Florida Fort Myers area. The trip was about 1470 miles one way. I'm the type of person who is slightly hyper so I wasn't afraid of falling asleep. I left my home at 4 AM and drove with my cruise control set it 68 mph. I stopped about every three or four hours to grab a bite to eat, urinate, and gas up.

I drove as far as I could drive in a safe manner. That was to towards the end of North Carolina. If I drove another hour I would be South Carolina. That took me about 15 hours. I ran into some crazy traffic jams. By the time I stopped I was really tired and I figured if I kept going on I was putting myself and others at risk.

The next morning I left and drove until I reach my final destination in southern Florida. It took something like 14-15 hrs. I do stop for rest breaks and bathroom breaks to stretch my legs.

For the life of me I don't know how you will be able to drive 27 hours without stopping and staying in a motel. After so many hours you run the risk of becoming hypnotized by the white lines on the road..

As far as driving my 2012 fit sport was concerned my fit had no problem at all doing the trip. It was comfortable enough and it handled well. I complained in my post at the fit doesn't have enough passing power for my liking. One problem I did have when driving down south in the blazing heat and humidity my air-conditioner froze and I had to turn it on and off. I had it serviced at the dealership when I returned.

Why not take two days to do this trip? Just stay in a budget motel like I did. It's too far to do 1800 miles without proper bed rest.

This is just my opinion. Think of your life and the lives of other people on the road you will come across.

Whatever you do, have a safe trip!
Very responsible post, always safety first.

Thank You.

Unfortunately full of cheap elitism on the Internet.

Quick Reply: long 1800mi trip?