2nd Generation (GE 08-13) 2nd Generation specific talk and questions here.

long 1800mi trip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 1toughfit
loaded only 400lbs instead of 550lbs
400lbs plus 320lbs of 2 people.

I'm only getting 31.5mpg @ 75-80mph...sometimes 85mph (a member here got pissed off because i speed 90mph to overtake nissan versa hatch..lol)..maybe becuz i'm been driving hills up & down...
btw I just changed engine oil yesterday..
I would think 31.5 mpg is more than acceptable considering you were going over 65 mph and fully loaded.

I've found that about 40-45 mph on local roads (with minimal stops) and roughly 65 mph on the highway to be a relative "sweet spot" for mpg in my Fit.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:02 PM
over 30mpg is just fine for a heavy load inside the car.

Just be aware of having heavy weight in the way back tends to make the car want to skitter left and right on the highway if you are not paying enough attention

Old 07-27-2013, 11:53 PM
Hills kill mileage. Driving 55-60 gets much better mileage- I guess it depends what your time is worth.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:11 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Steve244
Wow. What a combination of moronic, chauvinistic comments! All in the name of advocating unsafe driving practices while puffing up your own ego. I salute you.

Thanks you are one of "them"

Old 07-28-2013, 08:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
over 30mpg is just fine for a heavy load inside the car.

Just be aware of having heavy weight in the way back tends to make the car want to skitter left and right on the highway if you are not paying enough attention
Agreed.

This vehicle is very much subject to outside forces. Additional Weight, Higher speed driving, headwinds, etc... Coming back from NJ to VT with my wife, Kid, roof rack (With Fairing) and a cargo box on the roof, I averaged 28-29mpg doing about 75mph on all highway. Took off the cargo box and fairing and I was back up to 40mpg with my regular 50mph commute of 26 miles one way.

31-32mpg at 80mph with a loaded car is respectable.

~SB

Old 07-28-2013, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
I took a 900 mile trip in the Fit a few weeks ago and am in the process of taking the same trip in our (new) Outback. The Fit is really a pretty decent long distance trip cruiser as long as you understand that you won't be isolated from the road. That was also the trip where the A/C worked without freezing up once because I had it recharged prior to leaving.

Interestingly, I'm finding the Outback wanders more on the highway, although the Fit is more sensitive to crosswinds. At 80 mph I got 31 mpg with the Fit, although that compares to about 24 for the Outback, which also has a sixth gear.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by doctorz
I took a 900 mile trip in the Fit a few weeks ago and am in the process of taking the same trip in our (new) Outback. The Fit is really a pretty decent long distance trip cruiser as long as you understand that you won't be isolated from the road. That was also the trip where the A/C worked without freezing up once because I had it recharged prior to leaving.

Interestingly, I'm finding the Outback wanders more on the highway, although the Fit is more sensitive to crosswinds. At 80 mph I got 31 mpg with the Fit, although that compares to about 24 for the Outback, which also has a sixth gear.
Wow. The CVT on the outback really makes that big of a difference in Economy? My parents (and my brother) came fully loaded a few weeks back in their brand new Outback from Jersey to VT and averaged 30mpg. Dad drives about 75 on the Highway.

~SB

Old 07-28-2013, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by specboy
Wow. The CVT on the outback really makes that big of a difference in Economy? My parents (and my brother) came fully loaded a few weeks back in their brand new Outback from Jersey to VT and averaged 30mpg. Dad drives about 75 on the Highway.
We just did a leg with a fully loaded Outback averaging 75 mph with some rolling hills and got 28-29 mpg. I know the CVT is rated higher than the 6MT, which is rated 28 mpg highway, but I've also been able to get 32 mpg on a flat two-lane road. The mileage definitely dives above 75 mph. I keep hearing Subaru engines get better mileage over time; we only have 1500 miles on our Outback.

I was just illustrating our own experience with driving in conditions that basically kill mileage. It's interesting to hear the same talk on the Outback and Fit boards, that it's not hard to beat the EPA estimates with the manual transmission. I once managed to get 44 mpg with the Fit over 140 miles at 65-70 mph, mostly by staying in the right lane with the trucks. At 80+ mph, empty highway (nothing to draft) and Kansas crosswinds, I figure 31 mpg in a Fit is nothing to be ashamed of.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:49 PM
No more hills and in getting about 33.5mpg

Old 07-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Heed the advise of stretching the legs. Friend got clots in his leg after driving 9 hours one day. On fuel ups, spend some time walking about the area, and drop the seat front so your back of leg/knee is off the seat edge.. A coworker has long drives home, said his cousin, a cop, said when sleepy, and you absolutely need need to drive a little more, he get out & runs laps around the car.. Might get you a DWI breathalizer test, but you wont fall asleep fo a bit longer.. Enjoy the trip!

Old 07-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Thankfully fit has small gas tank so i do get to stop often.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:46 PM
Im back in Pa..trip was successful.
Thank you all for advise.
Im not sure how to upload pic...anywayz i just wanna sleep...
Left on sat at 11am...arrived on sunday 5pm
Slept on sunday night there and left @10am on monday. Arrived back to pa at 6pm. Traffic was bad on the way back on 76....

Eating korean noodles at rest area with protable mini stove was really good. It tasted better than at hone.

I did ran around fit once..it does work.^^
Thank you Fit Li.
Total mpg 33.8

Old 07-31-2013, 12:23 PM
5 Year Member
Shame you didn't have time to spend in Utah. It's pretty awesome out there.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:54 PM
I have been there already

Old 08-02-2013, 11:28 PM
It wasn't a long road trip, but myself, my girlfriend, and a couple friends took the Fit to Cedar Point 2 weeks ago. 300~ miles each way.

We had 4 people, and luggage in the back of course, and the AC on the whole way (both ways) and averaging about 75 MPH. On the way down there we only got 33 MPG thanks to the stand still Chicago traffic we had to escape. On the way home we got 37 MPG. Not bad considering a car full of people with AC.

I spent some time in the passenger seat and with it moved forward so the backseat can have more room, I gotta say it was pretty uncomfy.

Old 08-03-2013, 01:25 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JoeJxn
It wasn't a long road trip, but myself, my girlfriend, and a couple friends took the Fit to Cedar Point 2 weeks ago. 300~ miles each way.

We had 4 people, and luggage in the back of course, and the AC on the whole way (both ways) and averaging about 75 MPH. On the way down there we only got 33 MPG thanks to the stand still Chicago traffic we had to escape. On the way home we got 37 MPG. Not bad considering a car full of people with AC.

I spent some time in the passenger seat and with it moved forward so the backseat can have more room, I gotta say it was pretty uncomfy.
For the backseat passengers, did you put the rear seats in the "reclined" position? It really isn't much, but I find it gets a bit more comfortable in the back when the seats angled further back. This is without me moving my front seat. Tested by leaving my driver seat how I like it, then sitting behind it. I'm 6 ft tall.

In other words, you could've gotten more room in the front by not having to move it up too much, if you didn't already adjust the rear seats.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by Goobers
For the backseat passengers, did you put the rear seats in the "reclined" position? It really isn't much, but I find it gets a bit more comfortable in the back when the seats angled further back. This is without me moving my front seat. Tested by leaving my driver seat how I like it, then sitting behind it. I'm 6 ft tall.

In other words, you could've gotten more room in the front by not having to move it up too much, if you didn't already adjust the rear seats.
The back seats can recline??

Old 08-04-2013, 04:06 PM
5 Year Member
5 Year Member
My roadtrips so far in my 2012 Sport 5sp:
DC to Dayton Ohio in one day (475 miles). By myself, two suitcases. Got 40 MPG roundtrip, including mountainous areas on I-76 around PA/WV.

DC to Tampa FL in two days (also 475 miles/day). Two week Christmas vacation with wife and two kids, 8 suitcases, 4 backpacks, bags of gifts, toys, electronic gadgets, etc... 34.5 MPG roundtrip

Both trips went well. In particular the FL trip was comfortable. Everything fit perfectly, very few "are we there yet?" complaints with stops every 2.5 hours. I believe the 2012 Fit has additional sound deadening which kept the noise down, as did the two suitcases under the rear seats. Only thing it could really use is an arm rest for the front passenger seat. Perhaps a 6th gear for highway cruising. Otherwise it's almost the perfect roadtrip vehicle.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by JoeJxn
The back seats can recline??
Yes they can! Lift up on the lever to release them to fold down, and you can move them back to a second notch that's a little reclined. It's not a full range of angles as for the front seats, but it is a nice little feature none the less. (Of course, you do lose a little cargo room; it's easiest to recline the seats before filling up the hatch with luggage!)