Off Topic Discussion Discuss anything that pleases you here.

Greetings from....

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
Greetings from....

Iowa!!!

Right now, I'm at the first rest area on I-80 across the border from Illinois.

I was going to be slick and post a topic thread called "Wish me luck?" before I left the house and link some photos, but my house lost power (my sister will have to deal with it). I'm using a tablet now, but its pain in the derrière to copy links.

So, you'll have to settle for digging into my photo album called "Road Trip 2011)." I'll upload pictures from my tablet as I go.

I'll also post something akin to a blog here when I do stop.

I suppose, if I don't put something up for more than 48 hours... you can call highway patrol.

Nah, I'll keep my sis "updated" once a day, so, she should be enough to call the cops.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:34 PM
5 Year Member
Have a safe trip on the road and for sure update this thread as a blog. Whats your first destination on your road trip if you don't mind me asking?

Edit: For anyone reading/following Goobers' road trip please click the following link below to jump his photo album.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/album.php?albumid=744

Last edited by Hootie; 07-13-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:29 AM
5 Year Member
im at the Iowa 80 truck stop now... wanted to buy some motor oil in case I burned some on my trip, but they didn't have any 0w-20.

Forgot to add my major stops.

Pikes Peak
Wendover
Vancouver Canada
San Diego
Houston
Key West
Tellico
New York
Montreal Canada
Then home.

Can you guess what the Smileys are for?

Back on the road.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:11 AM
5 Year Member
Stupid me... I wasn't planning on stopping at EVERY rest area, but, here I am, at the next rest stop. Three stops in 36 miles, not good for time or MPG.

I stopped because I forgot to actually check my oil to make sure it wasn't already burning oil. Or having a slow leak from the first oil change I ever did on my own.

Which reminds me... I had planned on bringing one of the many oil filters I bought with me to do an oil change when I got to San Diego... but I forgot the filter. Doh.

Off again.

Hum... when am I gonna sleep?

Old 07-14-2011, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
Meet up when you're in SD????????? When will you get here? Hopefully I'm free!

Old 07-14-2011, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member
Dang it... my tablet wiped my last message.

I'm at last rest stop of Iowa before heading into Nebraska, gonna keep driving a bit more until I feel that I should stop, then sleep at whatever rest area following that. Hopefully, before I need to pump gas.

I don't know when I'll get into San Diego, maybe by the 22nd? I'm not on any planned timetable, just winging it. Just need to make sure I get back in time for my friend's wedding on August 28th.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:13 AM
5 Year Member
Just pumped gas, realized two things about last post.

It wasn't the last rest area as I thought, at least not for I-80. And there's no way I could make it very far past the rest area I was supposed to get to... since I though it would be in Nebraska, I'm still in Iowa!!!

Two Hummers full of uniform wearing guys just pulled up!! Gas guzzers!! Lol. But seriously, they're leaving them running while theyre shopping in the gas station... paying individually to one clerk. Just how much are they using?

Anyway.. time to head back out.

Edit: its not two... its SIX HUMMVs!

Last edited by Goobers; 07-14-2011 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:55 AM
5 Year Member
Finally at a rest stop on Nebraska... going to sleep now. I probably could drive a lot longer, but rather take a nap at least and then haul ass to Pike's Peak and grab a (cheap) motel there.

Nite!!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:42 AM
You go Goobers! Safe journey and great trip. Let me know when your around NY.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:59 AM
5 Year Member
Only got an hour and half of sleep. Wasn't very comfortable, both the position and the heat of the sun. About half an hour after waking up, I finally decided to rearrange the stuff. Better position, but still way too hot.

One of the downsides of night time driving.

I guess I'll try to make it to Pike's Peak now... of course, after i eat.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:10 PM
5 Year Member
Safe trip Goobs!!! Enjoy the scenery...

Old 07-14-2011, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
See you in a week!

Old 07-14-2011, 03:14 PM
5 Year Member
Dang, that was nutty.

I don't know how long I drove, but I was way too drowsy to keep it up. I just woke up from a nap at a rest area just past Lexington, NE.

Lets see if I'm more awake now. Its gonna be bad if i can only drive at night.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member
Well, made it to a rest area by Sterling, Co.

I wanted to stop at an earlier rest area, but I got confused by the exit.

My GPS fell out of the pod it was in (fuel pod). I stuck it onto the windshield as i was driving as a quick fix. Then mounted it in the other pod (tach) and wrapped up the power cable a little so my leg doesn't get caught. I'll see how that goes, since I've used it with my right hand since I bought it, now its on the left.

Alright, time to figure out what kind of picture I should take.

Adios.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:43 AM
5 Year Member
Chillin at a Super 8.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:23 AM
5 Year Member
hey you following I-80 how far west? i live a stones throw from I-80 (i'm not kidding) and if your coming thru utah i'd like to meet you in person, i will be racing at millermotorsportspark.com on sunday and it's about 10 miles off i-80, but i bet you're gonna take the I-15 down to san diego aren't you? well if you don't have a deadline you should take a 30 mile detour and i'll give you 20 bucks for gas to come out to the track! anyway here's my number if you blow thru salt lake city! 801-6(five)2-0970 names wilson

edit... i just realized you already turned off the 80 and are headed west on I-70 - well have a good trip and put a small pillow under your gas leg and your leg won't ache (pushing or not)

Last edited by vtecfit1; 07-15-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 AM
5 Year Member
Got an ETA of about when you'll be in the Houston area?

Old 07-15-2011, 02:34 AM
5 Year Member
I'm about 2 1/2 hours northeast of Houston and 2 hours southeast of Dallas.... I'll check for when you are getting near and try to hook up with you.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by vtecfit1
hey you following I-80 how far west? i live a stones throw from I-80 (i'm not kidding) and if your coming thru utah i'd like to meet you in person, i will be racing at millermotorsportspark.com on sunday and it's about 10 miles off i-80, but i bet you're gonna take the I-15 down to san diego aren't you? well if you don't have a deadline you should take a 30 mile detour and i'll give you 20 bucks for gas to come out to the track! anyway here's my number if you blow thru salt lake city!

edit... i just realized you already turned off the 80 and are headed west on I-70 - well have a good trip and put a small pillow under your gas leg and your leg won't ache (pushing or not)
While I did turn from I-80, I do plan on going to the Bonneville Salt Flats (then wash my car in Wendover!).. To see how fast I can go. the fastest I've ever gone is about 108 mph in Corvette (but it wasn't even intentional, thought I was still doing 80). So, I should be going through SLC. Should I give you a call a day in advance? If you see a Chicago area code, that should be me.

PS, wouldn't contact info be better off in a PM? This isn't exactly a private forum.

Originally Posted by Hootie
Got an ETA of about when you'll be in the Houston area?
Originally Posted by Texas Coyote
I'm about 2 1/2 hours northeast of Houston and 2 hours southeast of Dallas.... I'll check for when you are getting near and try to hook up with you.
I have no idea when I'll get to Texas. It really depends on how long I stay in San Diego (and if I'm making good time on the road of course). SD is one of three primary stops, where the bulk of my family is. The other two are TX (aunts and uncles) and NY (old friend from high school).

The other thing is that my brother originally wanted to take his family on road trip with me to TX... but right now, my sis-in-law is sick, so who knows.

Incidentally, my sister (living in Palo Alto) wants me to skip Vancouver and go to Yellowstone. She also wants me to chop my entire east coast trip.... and go to Cambodia!

My folks are trying get me to meet some chick, in the hopes of me getting married! She's actually Vietnamese and speaks five languages! Maybe too smart for me! But she does know Japanese, which could be great, then she can teach me, so I can watch my anime without having to wait for fansubs!

Wadda u think? LOL

Well, I think I've spent enough time in this motel. Already missed their breakfast, so gonna have hunt my own done.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:37 PM
5 Year Member
Finally getting some food.

Took the time that I was waiting to look up some info on the drive up the peak...

I was originally thinking I would shoot for a 30 minute drive along the route of the hill climb... since B-spec Fit did it in something like 15 minutes or so, I forget the exact time. But normal driving time is an HOUR! Since I have to use the speed limit as a reference speed for my first visit... I don't think I can get there in half an hour. Haven't decided if i want to try a second round.

45 minutes? O_o

If, after the first round, i feel confident enough to try again, I think I will.

Quick Reply: Greetings from....