2nd Generation GE8 Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 2nd generation GE8 Honda Fit

Jim2bFit's '09 BSP Mostly Form Over Function Mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 10:24 PM
5 Year Member
Jim2bFit's '09 Blue Streak

Just in case you're wondering... I should have named the thread "Function Over Form" but my dyslexia kicked in again. Once you name a thread and save it, you're hosed if the title is dorked! Some of you have already caught that in my other posts. I don't know, it could be aging, drugs, too many concussions doing reckless stuff as a kid, food preservatives?

My goal has always been function first, with form as a consideration.

Pics of the mods I've made so far (I just added more new pics at the bottom)...

Day 1 New car in the driveway! Just got home from the dealer, fresh and clean.

Cargo Cover This is one of those practical mods. Two benefits - you can hide stuff in the back, and the cover location and the felt-like coating helps cut down on a little bit of the road noise from the back.

Window Tint This is a MUST in the South, especially with all of the glass on the Fit. Function for sure, form with the right color tint - charcoal (35%) in my case.

Swift Sport Springs My first true mod/upgrade from stock. This follows a few of my rules - try to keep costs under $400 (my magic #), and if I never make another change, will I be happy with what I've done so far? This was by far the most effective upgrade to make, and provides a lot of bang for the buck. The Fit begs to be tightened up, and it responds well to the upgrade. I LOVE my Swift's!

K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake This is one of those frequently debated mods. The basic question being, "if you really do gain around 5hp from the mod, can you even feel it in your butt dyno?" I understand where people are coming from on this, and I have some experience with and opinions about upgrading key components in a closed-loop system. I made this mod for improved throttle response and engine control rather than HP. I run my car hard and I'm not concerned with gas mileage. I bought a Fit so that I can have fun and still get +30mpg overall. My mpg stayed the same with this intake vs stock, but the fun factor definitely improved.

Word of caution - if you don't like intake noise (that old 4 barrel woofing sound), think twice before making this mod. My wife hates the drone every time you accelerate. I guess it's a guy thing. The intake gulping is like night and day over stock - that convoluted stock kluge of a plastic monstrosity is like a mini anechoic chamber that magically eliminates almost all intake noise.

FIT 3rd Tail Light This was my first "look at me" mod, I guess. It's unique in that I've yet to see another car with a LED 3rd light that spells something, and I'm on the road a lot. I've seen red/black overlays of all kinds, team names, etc., but not a full-on replacement. I know that thing is BRIGHT. Not sure how I feel about this one. I wonder if it makes people ANGRY

Blox Racing Mini Antenna It was about $15 delivered, what can I say? I don't listen to local radio anyway, it didn't change my reception for better or worse, and it's not permanent. Actually, I buzzed a deep scuff in the rubber stock antenna with my buffer and was going to replace it with a shark fin, but this was way cheaper. It's sun faded now and looks kind of bronze!

Headlight Armor HID Blue Headlight Covers (w/Fogs) This was definitely a functional mod, but the HID Blue covers blend well with the car color. I've had a few Hondas, and I always order them with fog lights. Unfortunately for me, Honda uses glass for their fog lenses and I LOVE to crack them. Two Civic fogs, one Odyssey fog, and both of my Fit fogs so far. OEM Honda fogs ain't cheap. So when I replaced my Fit fogs with a cheaper set from PartsGeek, I bought these protective films. So far, so good. Performance is fine, and they are high quality, and THICK.

New Wheels & Tires This is my favorite mod, and one that I'd been planning on long before squeezing 36k out of the stock Dunlops. After comparing the wheel/tire upgrade specs from a variety of FF members running Swift springs, I settled on the 16x7 +45 offset with a 205/50-16 tire. It's perfect. I only get a slight kiss of the front tire's outside edge on one protruding bump molded in the wheel well splash shield. It only touches at full compression - like bump stop limit - and only for a fraction of a second.

KMR Chassis Braces I made these upgrades at the same time as the wheel & tire package, and it completely transformed the car's handling. I did this a lot sooner than planned. I got in on a group buy, and for less than $300 was able to get 3 critical components needed to improve a Fit's handling, IMO. I was going to keep it simple and do a front lower tie bar, upper strut bar, and rear sway bar at a later date, but when this deal came along it was full-on handling overhaul time. Seriously, if you don't prevent the Fit's twizzler-like frame from twisting, it's doesn't matter what you do above the belt-line. Adding only a strut tower bar or a rear sway bar won't yield anything close to the handling improvements gained from a sub-frame brace, and especially the ladder brace. Case in point - when I put my jack behind the front wheel and start lifting the car, the rear wheel comes off the ground at about the same time as the front wheel does! On the road, I can actually feel the rear suspension respond now, and the feedback and the way the car tracks in turns is like night and day over stock. These mods are highly recommended if you are serious about improving the way your Fit handles at its limits.

Hella Twin Supertone Horns My thoughts on this mod are here: https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...ml#post1006740

Sdrive Throttle Controller Next to my Swift springs, if I was only allowed to make another mod and it had to be under $150, this would be the choice by a long shot. If you want to zip around and beat on your Fit like a big go-cart, you have to upgrade the springs and change the ramp on the throttle signal. THAT is when the fun REALLY begins!

Body Color Painted Front Grill Sometimes I change things because I'm bored. I'm just sick of black plastic grills. They are overused and make some cars look cheap. I painted the grill and the radiator trim cover using Krylon Fusion for the base coat and an aftermarket body color spray paint and clear coat. The factory paint has faded a tiny bit in 2 and a half years so the grill is slightly darker than the bumper. Once the hood is closed, you lose the reference points and it all blends together.

Headlight Armor 3D Carbon Fiber Wrap If you do a lot of interstate driving, those front "canard" looking wings on the Sport will get chewed up eventually. I had been using touch up paint quite a bit until the goons at my dealer raked 8" of the outer edge of one of them pulling into a lift bay. I was going to re-paint it when I did the grill, but then figured it would be an endless battle. I really like the HA film products, so I gave their Carbon Fiber wrap a shot after asking for a sample. Nice stuff and it's easy to work with. I've gotten lots of "that's a great idea" comments. Once the film gets chewed up, I'll peel it off and wrap it again.

Headlight Armor Light Smoke Taillight Covers I like this film even better than the headlight film. The chrome pieces inside are just too glittery for my tastes. I've been wanting to do this for a long time, but I didn't want to crack open the frame for a DIY to black-out the innards. This film has just enough smoke to knock the edge off the chrome reflections, but not dark enough to get you rear-ended or pulled over for a warning (depending on your local laws).

Tail of the Dragon & Moonshiner 28 driving pics A little shameless self promotion here with some driving pics taken by the photographers that park themselves along US 129 (The Dragon) and SR 28 (Moonshiner) in western NC.

HKS Hi-Power Exhaust I just picked up a used Hi-Power from another FitFreak. I love it, and so does my Fit! It's got a nice low note, doesn't scream at the top, and sounds great with my K&N intake on the other end. I've listened to many exhaust clips and changed my mind about a dozen times, and I'm glad I had a chance to get a used HKS in excellent condition. I've noticed a little opening up at high RPMs, the engine feels a little stronger, less strained and smoother at the top end. I will post some pics soon...

R1 Concepts E-Line Drilled & Slotted Rotors I did this front brake job back in the spring, but never did get around to updating my page. Also installed EBC Green Stuff pads. Nice combo, great stopping power.

Last edited by Jim2bFit; 08-09-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: HKS Hi-Power Exhaust install
Old 05-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Not a fan of the ricer/redneck blue headlight film.

Nice springs. Interesting choice of wheel...Honda ITR replica, curious to see how they look.

Oh, BTW...en awn huang

Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackndecker
Not a fan of the ricer/redneck blue headlight film.
Not as much as I'm not a fan of replacing Honda fog lights! My count so far is 1 Odyssey fog, 2 Civic fogs, 2 Fit fogs. I bought the first 3 through the cheapest Honda dealer I could find online at the time. STILL paid through the nose cuz you can't just buy the lamp/lense body - have to buy the whole freakin' assy. I got smart this time and replaced my Fit fogs with OEM replacements from PartsGeek.com for about $87 each instead of around $130 from Honda.

The Headlight Armor film is 20mil thick - this was one of those mostly function over form mods to protect my lenses. I could have gone clear on the film, but with my car being blue... and living in Georgia... the redneck thing might apply!

Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Jim2bFit
Not as much as I'm not a fan of replacing Honda fog lights! My count so far is 1 Odyssey fog, 2 Civic fogs, 2 Fit fogs. I bought the first 3 through the cheapest Honda dealer I could find online at the time. STILL paid through the nose cuz you can't just buy the lamp/lense body - have to buy the whole freakin' assy. I got smart this time and replaced my Fit fogs with OEM replacements from PartsGeek.com for about $87 each instead of around $130 from Honda.
The fog light film is what is. I understand the rationale...makes me glad I don't have to worry about all this on my base.

The Headlight Armor film is 20mil thick - this was one of those mostly function over form mods to protect my lenses. I could have gone clear on the film, but with my car being blue... and living in Georgia... the redneck thing might apply!
I've never had a problem with my headlights getting chipped or cracked. Yeah, the blue looks "matchy matchy." Like when dudes where orange Crocs with their orange shirt and orange hat

Old 05-31-2011, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Hurry up and put the wheels on!

There may be two GE Fits North of Atlanta with these wheels if they look good mounted!

Old 05-31-2011, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blackndecker
Like when dudes where orange Crocs with their orange shirt and orange hat
Well, I ALWAYS wear a blue shirt when I wear my orange Crocs - the Gators colors really piss off the locals (Bulldog fans)

Old 05-31-2011, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by BlueBoogers
Hurry up and put the wheels on!

There may be two GE Fits North of Atlanta with these wheels if they look good mounted!
Believe me, it's KILLING ME knowing the wheels are in boxes in my garage. I'm waiting on tire delivery - should be in a couple days.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Believe me, it's KILLING ME knowing the wheels are in boxes in my garage. I'm waiting on tire delivery - should be in a couple days.
What are you doing with your stock wheels?

Old 05-31-2011, 12:41 PM
etf
5 Year Member
I think that the General Exclaim UHP tires are a good choice for your Fit. I put some on my 2008 MINI Cooper S because I decided that they were a lightweight, relatively inexpensive tire with a good treadwear rating and decent reviews. These tires were really excellent for everyday driving. They had good wet performance. If pushed in dry conditions though, they didn't have the grip level that I expected. I messed with tire pressures but really could never get them to my liking for "spirited" driving. So I decided that I would have to live with them till they wore out. I lived with those damn tires a loooong time! They just kept going and going. I think I got 20,000 miles out of them (which is exceptional on a MCS).

Jim, this is a great comprehensive and informative thread for those who haven't ventured off into modding their GE8. Keep it up!

Old 05-31-2011, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
another fit with spec r's

nice

Old 05-31-2011, 02:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by etf
I think that the General Exclaim UHP tires are a good choice for your Fit.
Cool, I'm glad it was you that ran them because I know if you could live with them, I'm sure to be OK. Most of the reviews I read on the Exclaim UHP were from muscle car or performance sports car owners - mostly good reviews from people that actually typed some decent real-world info.

I was all set to go with the Conti ECDWS before I looked over my list one more time to make sure I wasn't throwing money away. I really didn't want a unidirectional tire, or a summer rated tire, but when I noticed that the General was about $30 less per tire, I had to do it. Sure, I might not get 30 or 35k miles out of them, but that only means about one year less for my driving style. So far I've got 35k+ on my stock Dunlops in 2 years with no wear issues at all, so I don't expect the General Exclaim to melt away. If I get 2 years or 25k from them I'm good.

I told KlasseAct I'm going to call them the "GTEUHP" since General is owned by Conti, and I'm going with acronyms now... LMAO

Old 05-31-2011, 09:59 PM
Stock wheels for sale in this post FS: '09 Fit Sport Wheels

I have 2 buyers lined up as of today, but...

One is local, but in a hurry and I might not have the wheels off the car in time for his needs. The other is my "for sure" fall-back, but it requires shipping out of state - $$$. He understands that I would rather sell them local since it would be easier. So, the wheels are still for sale for all practical purposes until I actually hand them over to someone.
I AM THE "for sure" fall back!!!!

Heads up Forum members, this is my side of the coin:-

In the beginning when I first PM'ed Jim2bFit. He stated that he would prefer "convenience over desire" and would prefer local sale. I told him I had no problem with that. He had no taker and he said I am back to the top and will keep me in touch!

On 05-19-2011, he pm'ed me and I responded!

Recipients: Jim2bFit

05-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Per-fit-ion

Re: Still Interested? Fit Sport Wheels Shipment
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Per-fit-ion
Quote:
I just ordered my new wheels. I still have to order my tires, and then set up an appointment to get the TPMS sensors swapped and the tires mounted. So I'm more firm on the early June time frame.

Since I am keeping my TPMS sensors, that would revert to the $350 + $115 shipping I estimated for you. But, since I'm contacting you first, I want to offer you the deal before I change my ad post.

I'll send you the wheels straight up for $400, regardless of shipping. You'd be making out far better in that deal that somebody living in, say, Florida? LOL But it's OK either way. I just want to simplify the process and move it along...

Let me know.

Jim Soltis
Sounds good! You are man of your word Jim! Right on!

I would expect conditions on your wheels still the same as on your earlier post?

Paypal good for you? Let me know when the time comes.

By the way, on your earlier post, you mentioned you were here in Hawaii?

Victor
Yup, wheels are still as clean as ever. Paypal works for me. So it looks like the swap will take place in 3-4 weeks (IF I can stand waiting that long). I will let you know as I get closer to lining up a garage to do the work.

Yes, my wife and I followed my career to a contract position at CINCPACFLT Pearl Harbor working with Booz Allen Hamilton back in 1998. That was right after we got married, as a couple of DINKs that were willing to move around a lot. We lived in an apartment in Mililani. Right around the time that we were thinking about making a go of it and buying a house, I got a transfer back to the mainland. In the end, I was relieved, because I'm not sure how the contract would have played out, the job market in HI was horrible back then, and I didn't want to be looking for a job on the mainland FROM Hawaii... that would have been a bitch to pull off. I/we've been around, to say the least.

Hey we share some similiar history! I retired from Pearl after 39 years! 98 was barely recovered from the major RIF in 94 and another minor one again in 96! During the time frame when you folks were there at CINPACFLT, my good friend Mark Yamamura was working for the Admiral there too and he is also retired. Maybe you came across him? I know what you mean by searching for jobs in the mainland from Hawaii. Several Naval Officers from our church retired here and went through the mainland job searching scenarios but it all worked out.

Yea, just give heads up when you are ready. I am sharing the excitement with you, doesn't matter whether its the new set up like you are getting or the new to me wheels I am getting from you!

Right On!
Victor

If that was not a "shake hand deal", I don't know what is!!

I can not believe he made me the "UGLY PROM DATE", made commitment yet all along waiting for a better date!!!!

What a show off JOKER!

By the way, Jim xxxxxx, responds from you is not welcome!!

Last edited by gimme; 06-02-2011 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:24 AM
5 Year Member
Per-fit-ion, you WERE the fall-back, not anymore

I can not believe he made me the "UGLY PROM DATE", made commitment yet all along waiting for a better date!!!!

What a show off JOKER!

By the way, Jim xxxxx, responds from you is not welcome!!
Per-fit-ion:

I haven't lied to you. I've been straight from the start. I have ALWAYS said my preference was a local sale, and that the wheels were yours if I COULD NOT sell them locally.

Have I had local interest? Yes, and I've kept you posted via PM's. Have I played one potential customer against another? NO. Same price to FF members as people responding to my Craiglist ad - which I also have mentioned to you. In fact, I would be LOSING MONEY to ship the wheels to you in Hawaii for $400 straight up vs selling them local for $350 - so YOU are the only person I've actually offered a "deal" to.

As far as I'm concerned, your childish post just blew your chances of getting the wheels if I never sell them local.

And another thing, where do you get off posting my PM's and my full name on the open forum? Are you trying to say that I was lying about my military service or something, or shmoozing you to think we have something in common to make a sale??? Why would I even consider selling them to you now? I've got a great rep on these forums, and I don't need someone talking bogus trash about me because he thinks he got screwed when no sale has even taken place.

Grow up.

Last edited by gimme; 06-02-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Cleaned up my language
Old 06-01-2011, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
if no money was exchanged, no "deal" was made... it's kinda like calling "dibs" on an internet item, it means little...

seller's choice - he doesn't have to sell to you if he doesn't want to, and the desire to not ship wheels is an understandable one...

sit in line and wait... putting personal pm's out there without so much as a pm to him stating why you're upset is childish...

Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM

What a show off JOKER!

By the way, Jim ****s, responds from you is not welcome!!
Wow. Very inappropriate. -rep to you sir

Old 06-01-2011, 03:36 PM
5 Year Member

K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake

Rota R-Spec in Steel Gray
hello Jim2bFit
Did u gain more H/P-MPG with the k&N?
The rota's, how much did u pay for it?
thx

Last edited by phenoyz; 09-15-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member

Did you pay?

Nope? Okay then.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:38 PM
JIm, your right, this guy's wrong, period!

The blue headlight film isn't rice or redneck, Calvin pissing on something is though and rice is, well, stickers on your car for products you DO NOT have, one thing I consider rice.

Can't wait to meet you and check out your car on the Dragon in the fall, damn do those wheels look great! Need some custom decals for the centercaps, I've got some places for you on that if your interested

Old 06-01-2011, 08:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phenoyz
hello Jim2bFit
Did u gain more H/P-MPG with the k&N?
The rota's, how much did u pay for it?
thx
I think the K&N SRI's main effect is in throttle response and improved acceleration in the upper RPM's. Whether or not that's because of a real/perceived HP gain is usually debated. Some threads about intake mods go on forever. It didn't affect my MPG either way, but then again 90% of my driving is at or near highway speeds on the interstate or open roads, so my MPG average tends to be high anyway even if I get the urge to play in the VTEC range for extended periods. So for me, it is the throttle response, improved acceleration and the tinkering fun factor.

There's not much change in the low end except for the engine/intake growl. My wife HATES the note/drone. I love it, but it's not for everyone. Seriously, unless you've driven a Fit with a SRI, you have no idea what that stock air intake monstrosity really does. It's the opposite of the "Bose Wave" concept. It's like a mini anechoic chamber that magically silences all intake wooosh, gulping and growl. Having a SRI lets you know how close that intake really is to your head. But when I open it up, I swear there's at lease a V-6 in there!

I found the widest range of Rota's at Racinglab. Well, they seem to have the most in stock that would fit our Fits. The rep at Racinglab did say that inventories in general are low because Rota won't be delivering the next production run (most models) until the end of the summer. I paid Racinglab's price + shipping, which was great since I was planning on buying Enkei's for almost $100 more per wheel. I'm glad I reconsidered my options...

Old 06-01-2011, 09:32 PM
5 Year Member
Jim, can't wait to see this Fit in person! Are you planning on heading up to Import Alliance in Nashville with us?

Quick Reply: Jim2bFit's '09 BSP Mostly Form Over Function Mods