3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Can the New Fit Tow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Talking Can the New Fit Tow?

The 3rd generation Fit has a much more robust sub frame so the it can be used on the new HR-V. That new frame strength plus additional HP and torque should mean that the Fit might be able to tow small loads.

It would be very nice if a small trailer that could carry two bikes; or a small M/C; or a small water craft; or a family tent, etc. would be really nice.

What do you think, is this capability designed into the new FIT/ HR-V?

Old 04-25-2014, 10:48 PM
When I was in Europe EVERY car had a tow hook. Saw lots of 3rd gens with tow hooks. I don't know why people here think small cars can't or shouldn't tow.

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/jazz/accessories/travel/

Old 04-26-2014, 01:02 AM
Ive towed/pulled a hyundai tiburon v6 GT several miles

a user on here towed 2200 pounds which includes the trailer.

Ive driven 1300 miles with over half a ton in the back of the car

Pretty sure the new fit will be fine lol

Old 04-26-2014, 10:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mecevans
When snipe... I don't know why people here think small cars can't or shouldn't tow.

New Jazz Accessories | Honda UK
Maybe because the 2nd generation owner's manual says don't do it. I would not buy a used 1st or 2nd generation Fit that has a tow bar attached or signs that one was used. Would you?

Old 04-26-2014, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by dave92029
Maybe because the 2nd generation owner's manual says don't do it. I would not buy a used 1st or 2nd generation Fit that has a tow bar attached or signs that one was used. Would you?
Where I am from a large number of people put tow hooks on their cars, not because they intend to tow anything, but here people don't care about following distances and stopping distances, so there is a lot of bumper bashing, and the tow bar is a bit of a buffer to save your bumper, now I know that higher impacts will still cause damage.
Also a lot of people have the bolt on bike racks

Old 04-26-2014, 08:08 PM
I would say dont do it as the CVT isnt meant for high power / load applications.

But we had a car break down (s14 silvia weighing about 1350kg) and an old GD fit with CVT flat towed it 3 hours back no problem. So maybe the CVT isnt as weak as I had thought?

Old 04-26-2014, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dave92029
Tow bars are also used for mounting bike racks.

Name:  IMG_20140412_145314_516-1_zpsuuqrbhs5.jpg
Views: 7251
Size:  134.0 KB

Old 10-15-2014, 10:41 AM
Any updates on this question?

I know most car makers are shying away from towing, but this car seems better equipped to handle a trailer than cars that have in the past.

Are there any real reasons a Fit should not tow a 1000lb trailer?

Old 10-15-2014, 11:24 AM
If you have to go in for transmission work under warranty, and they see a tow hitch receiver, it may raise questions and possibly invalidate your warranty.

I'd be concerned about safety. Sure, anything can theoretically pull a trailer, but can it stop? What if it gets windy? I've been to Europe and they tow large caravans with Mazda3s. There are also a lot of bad accidents involving caravans.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
Yes

Hell yes you can tow with your 3rd Gen! But tow smart. There is a post somewhere on this forum from a guy that went coast to coast with a FIT pulling way more than I would. He towed smart, slow and steady. Took lots of breaks to check things, let the car cool down etc. He had an add on trans cooler. Do not try to pull too much (I'd say 1500lbs MAX). Drive 65 or less. Watch the gauges. My Civic which is less powerful than the FIT has been pulling stuff all over New Mexico, through the mountains and I have had no problem. Tow smart!

Old 10-15-2014, 11:30 AM
I am certain the Fit can tow a light trailer - most cars can. I am likewise sure the engine, transmission, brakes, and suspension can handle it.

This similar car has a tow rating of 450Kg with an unbraked trailer, and 1000kg with a braked trailer:

Specifications - Official Honda Australia Site

I would like to know, though, if Honda will honour their warranty if the vehicle is used to tow. If that is not the case, I can stick with my Ford Focus (about the same power/weight etc) which is rated to tow 1000lbs. Alternatively, I can get a Mitsubishi Mirage which cannot tow, but is much less expensive and more fuel efficient.

Last edited by Canoehead; 10-15-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by TopJimmy5150
If you have to go in for transmission work under warranty, and they see a tow hitch receiver, it may raise questions and possibly invalidate your warranty.

I'd be concerned about safety. Sure, anything can theoretically pull a trailer, but can it stop? What if it gets windy? I've been to Europe and they tow large caravans with Mazda3s. There are also a lot of bad accidents involving caravans.

no it will not. honda sells a trailer hitch for many of their vehicles, fit included. its not a honda OEM piece for some cars, usually its a partnership with Uhaul or some other company.

They have to PROVE it was the driver hauling too much. Strain on engine/tranny mounts and CV joints will show heavy load wear and tear.

ALL cars sold today (if frame supports) can haul at a minimum half the vehicle weight.

last time I checked, the european GE fits were rated over 1500 pounds, and they use the 1.3 liter motors!

Old 10-15-2014, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Page 307 of the US (NA?) 2015 Honda Owners Manual

Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Page 307 of the US (NA?) 2015 Honda Owners Manual Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties.
This is because of two reasons:

1. Honda wants to force Americans to buy more expensive vehicles if they want to tow. This is shown by the fact that the FIT has different towing specifications in different markets.
2. The US is infested with lawyers who sue manufacturers when owners do something stupid like try to tow an Airstream. They even contributed to the warning above by including the weasel word "can" so the statement is not definite. Heaven forbid a manual include a definite statement that could be held against them!

Since hitches are used for other purposes the mere presence of a hitch cannot be used as a sign of abuse although I'm sure that dealers will attempt to do so if the owner is gullible enough. Dealers would much rather do work at their full customer labor rates and parts markups than at the lower rates that Honda pays for warranty work. This motivates them to deny warranty claims whenever they can do so.

Most cars with hitches never see a trailer. My father installed a hitch to provide a foundation for his amateur radio antennas!

Last edited by GeorgeL; 10-15-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
...My father installed a hitch to provide a solid foundation for amateur radio antennas!
Can you imagine a Tarheel 400 (or even a 200) on a Fit?

edit: Would have to look better than this:

Last edited by Fitmo; 10-15-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Old 10-15-2014, 02:33 PM
Strangely, the European second gen Fit has tow ratings.

They must have a super reinforced frame over the USDM model.

Either that or what George L posted is 100% correct.

Quite a few people on here tow with their GE with no bad results, engine, transmission and brakes handled everything fine, this is towing everything from motorcycles to UHaul trailers.

This is common practice in Europe. They just want you to buy a crossover. They don't even try to sell those to the Europeans I don't think lol

Old 10-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Page 307 of the US (NA?) 2015 Honda Owners Manual

Your vehicle is not designed to tow a trailer. Attempting to do so can void your warranties.

Yes. And that is the entirety of page 307!

But on page 305, point #6 it says "If your vehicle will be towing a trailer, load from your trailer will be transferred to your vehicle. Consult this manual to determine how this reduces available cargo and luggage load capacity for your vehicle."

Here is the on-line manual link too in case anyone needs it.
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...u/5A1515OM.pdf

Given that motorcycles and bicycles can tow trailers, and something like the Yakima Rack-n-Roll trailer with a kayak might weigh the same as one large person, I think prohibiting trailers completely must be for the non-technical reasons others have suggested above.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 13fit
no it will not. honda sells a trailer hitch for many of their vehicles, fit included. its not a honda OEM piece for some cars, usually its a partnership with Uhaul or some other company.

They have to PROVE it was the driver hauling too much. Strain on engine/tranny mounts and CV joints will show heavy load wear and tear.

ALL cars sold today (if frame supports) can haul at a minimum half the vehicle weight.

last time I checked, the european GE fits were rated over 1500 pounds, and they use the 1.3 liter motors!
I was reading the owners manual & remember reading the Fit was not designed to tow. I'd guess if you pull into the dealer with a drive train issue they'll look at your hitch & say sorry charley. They could also void your entire warranty.

That being said I bet the Fit would tow 1000 pounds or so just fine.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
I was reading the owners manual & remember reading the Fit was not designed to tow. I'd guess if you pull into the dealer with a drive train issue they'll look at your hitch & say sorry charley.
Maybe, maybe not. If the problem looks like it was caused by towing, it's much more likely they would deny coverage (and quite reasonably so, IMHO).

They could also void your entire warranty.
Not legally in the US. The use of aftermarket or unapproved parts and accessories (such as trailer hitches or trailers) cannot cause you to lose warranty coverage except if those things specifically caused the problem in question. If you have a broken windshield wiper motor, they'll fix that under warranty regardless of whether you have a trailer hitch or not...and if they don't, you have legal recourse.

That being said I bet the Fit would tow 1000 pounds or so just fine.
I completely agree with this; the only uncertainty in my mind might be how well the CVT would do under towing conditions, but I would guess it would be fine with a modest trailer sanely towed.

Quick Reply: Can the New Fit Tow?