3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Chains? Studded tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:04 AM
dsl
Chains? Studded tires?

What are you using to chain up your Fit?

I haven't had to use my chains yet (PNW has not had much winter this year). Although Les Schwab advised the miminalist cable chains, I got the quick-fit ones with the crisscross regular chain links. That's what I used on my Prius, which also (supposedly) had miminal clearance for chains, and they did fine.

In my experience, the clearance (or more accurately, lack thereof) is a bigger problem than traction when driving in snow, but when it's icy snow and/or chains are required to get over a pass, it's good to have the chains.

Before the Fit, I've always put studded snow tires on my vehicle for winter (and still had to chain up occasionally). I decided that's mostly a waste, because the bulk of my winter driving is on dry roads (especially these last 2 winters). My plan is just to buck up and put the chains on if necessary.

Have you had to chain up your Fit, and if so, what type did you use?

Old 01-29-2015, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by dsl
Have you had to chain up your Fit, and if so, what type did you use?
I believe that the only chains Honda recommends are close-fitting cable chains, and these are sufficient for all but the most severe conditions.

Remember, it's not just the static clearance that matters, but the clearance when the suspension is compressed and while the steering is turned. In some cases you have less than an inch to work with and when you consider that chains do not always lay flat to the tire when in motion an inch is barely enough. Modern cars are very fragile and any contact between chain and fender will produce ugly results.

Personally, I prefer to sit in a nice warm room and wait for the snow to melt on the pass!

Old 01-30-2015, 04:36 PM